22 October 2010

October 22nd, 2010 § 21 comments

• Dress – Banana Republic
  • Belt – Old Navy
  • Blazer – Ann Taylor Loft
  • Shoes – Banana Republic

These pictures were actually taken a couple weeks ago, when a sleeveless dress and open-toed shoes were still a viable combination.  I hesitated posting this outfit because of the horrible quality of these photos. In the end, I decided I loved this color combination and silhouette too much to not share the outfit (plus I was having a good hair day!).  It can be hard to pair what I have come to think of as this raisin-colored dress with accessories.  I knew I liked how it looked with teal, because the last time I wore it, I sported my teal pumps and a blue-green scarf as a belt.  This time around, I was going for something more teaching appropriate so I added my navy blazer and grey suede pumps, and was rather pleased with the complex mix of neutrals and jewel-toned pop.

I think sometimes, it’s hard to remember that this whole style-blogging thing is just a hobby, especially when there are so many fabulous bloggers out there with professional-quality photographs, major sponsors, and what seems like a bottomless fashion-forward wardrobe.  I find this happen in many aspects of my life.  It’s hard when running in the park on Saturday morning to remember that while I am training for my fifth marathon, I am not a professional runner, I don’t have sponsors, a trainer, or always the time to adequately stretch.  What I am, is  a professional student!  So, please excuse my short post and crappy-quality pictures, but I have a dissertation (for which I am “sponsored” and have a “trainer”) to get back to!

A.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 21 Responses to 22 October 2010"

1. SK says:

Just a shout-out to all the professional students who are trying to balance work with life. A., you’re doing a great job! I love your look and your style. Your occasional appearances are what keep me reading this blog.

2. N says:

I’ve always been amazed at how some bloggers can find so much time. It’s great, because it gives me more ideas. But for me, for my life, your blog is more realistic and approachable. I like that you took bad pictures one day because your dissertation is more important, that E. disappeared for a few days to take her quals, and that S. left to teach and write her dissertation (though I still miss her). I’m sure that L. will also need to put teaching ahead of style at some point.

I admire that balance, though I’m sure, having been a grad student in the humanities myself once, and a perfectionist like you all obviously are, that it doesn’t always feel balanced to you!

3. ashley says:

I LOVE how real your blog is, and I don’t think you have anything to apologize for. I follow a few professional fashion bloggers, but I honestly find their standard pretty unattainable in my life (which consists of raising an almost-1-year-old, working on campus, and normal life stuff). Those of us living in the real world do not have the advantage of getting fashion freebies, either! I keep coming back to academichic because you keep it real, share my aesthetic, and shop at places within my budget. Of all the bloggers I follow, you do the best job of remixing pieces you already own. THAT’S what I find truly inspirational and why I’m always eager for new posts!

4. ashley says:

Also, I love how you paired purple and teal. I can’t wait to try it! :)

5. Teresa says:

Must start looking for bargains at BR! Love the dress.

6. SM says:

I am also a professional student and am inspired by how you balance work and life AND find the time to dress with style! The fact that you’re also living a “normal” life is why I like read your blog :)

7. Beth Ellen says:

I am a professional student student, and trying to figure out how to balance blogging and the rest of my life which is entirely work is impossible. I have no idea how you have it balanced so well. You ladies of academichic always impress me with that!

8. Linda W says:

I think you look great and thanks for sharing these photos. I’ll echo everyone else and saw that I like to read blogs of people who, like me, are busy and living a real life. It makes it so much more relatable and showcases style that works in the real world and that I might be able to adapt in my own life and style.
    I take pictures on a rinky-dink point and shoot and the quality is far less than those of other bloggers. I have to remind myself that I am doing it for fun and to push myself to develop a style I like!

By the way, I love your blazer!

9. EmilyKennedy says:

Gorgeous! I love you in the ’50′s silhouette!

10. I’m in love with the color choice!

11. Katie W says:

You may not be sponsored or get free clothes but this look is gorgeous!

I love that this blog is a collaboration of lovely ladies who enjoy it! Your passion regarding work and style shows. And the real worldliness of it is a nice change from the professionals :)

12. Kathryn says:

I love the outfit, especially the belt. I also love that you own the fact that blogging is a hobby, not a job. I love that about Academichic!

13. Tanya says:

You look great! I work full-time and am finishing up my last qual and I marvel at how you find time to do it all. Keep doing what you’re doing–we love it.

14. ismay says:

Your last couple of outfits have been real winners; you look lovely.

15. Diana says:

I love the muted colors in this outfit – very chic.

16. Fellow A says:

I’m a first-year PhD student and very much relate to the difficulty in realising one is not a professional-something-else. I’ve been riding horses competitively for almost 20 years, but now that I’m in graduate school, some days we just can’t train like we should. It’s been difficult to keep perspective on the fact that school comes first sometimes, but you’ve reminded me that the academy is where I’ve found my “sponsor” and “trainer.” Thanks!

17. Kat says:

I love the flair of your new edgier hair combined with the classic shapes of the dress and blazer. And the fuzzy photo actually seems to capture that sense of motion with the hair and the skirt.

I also want to chime in and say that I’ve had silent but longstanding admiration for you all and how you manage to consistently balance your lives and interests with your professional academic roles. Your blog has been a guilty pleasure for me, something that stimulates my thinking and given me a sense of daring in incorporating a little more personality into my grad school wardrobe. So thanks for all your openness and continuing to share your wardrobe adventures and a bit of your worklife dilemmas, too.

18. indigorchid says:

I can only echo everyone else here, and say “thank you” for sharing your real-life styling, and for knowing and articulating your limits (limits in the sense of what is worth spending lots of extra time on, and what is not).

I keep coming back for the pairings of clothes that you guys do, that I would never have thought of, and of the points you raise about what our bodies and satorial choices communicates to the world, and for your breakdown of proportions, color choices, dressing for your own bodies, etc.

You are doing a wonderful job!

19. Terri says:

make no apologies.

20. Kristen says:

I’m glad you decided to share the photos because I really like this outfit. Thanks!

21. Bex says:

Love the dress and the color! The hard part – maybe – is that our grad school sponsors and trainers don’t necessarily give us the pleasurable rewards and instant feedback of dressing ourselves well and flatteringly.