22 October 2010

October 22nd, 2010 § 11 comments

22 October 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Cardigan: H&M, via Plato’s Closet
Tank: Target, embellished by me
Skirt: Gap
Tights: We Love Colors
Oxford booties: Civico10, via DSW

I would not term myself a “trendy” person, but when fall and spring roll around and magazines and style sites are full of “top trends” I do kind of perk up and take notice. Part of it is an aesthetic curiosity of sorts. As an art historian interested in how visual production is shaped by encounters and exchanges, the very notion of a fashion trend — a recurring theme across designers — is fascinating to me on a nerdy level. On a practical level, I like to see what retailers will be offering in a given season and imagine how I might participate in (or eschew) a trend. Ironically, for someone who studies contemporary art, it usually takes me a little while — several seasons, even — for my aesthetic to shift or expand sufficiently to adopt certain trends. I was late to the skinny jeans, oxford booties, and, as you can see here, the “military-inspired” parties.

Digression: Remember that gold cardigan that I “edited” about a month ago? Well the removed rosettes turned out to be the exact same shade of mustardy-yellow as tank from Target that I already owned. A few dots of liquid thread later and I had an embellished tank and just the right amount of frou on two separate items of clothes. (Not that you can really see the tank in these photos, but I thought you should know in case you were worried about where those mustard rosettes ended up.)

In any case, I think my “military chic” maybe ended up more quirky than serious, thanks to the crinkled grosgrain skirt and oxfords. But here at academichic we’re all about figuring out how to make trends work for us, not against us. So I’m loving the combination of goldenrod, navy, and olive, and it hits just the right balance of being current while still being “me.” Even better, it feels like a real fall outfit.

That deserves a leaf throw.

22 October 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 11 Responses to 22 October 2010"

1. Diana says:

Love this look! I’m jealous because I tried on that skirt at the Gap and now regret not buying it… it seems to be sold out in the blue color at all the Gaps I’ve been to recently.

Also, I thought you might like to know that I wore mustard for the first time today and it was totally inspired by you.

2. Iris says:

What a fun fall outfit!

3. Meredith says:

That sweater is amazing!

4. Kari says:

I like your cute military chic interpretation! The jacket and oxfords are cute together – a nice juxtaposition of different styles but coordinating colors.

5. spacegeek says:

I have these shoes and am wearing them today, with grey tights. Do you try to match tights to the shoes or go contrast with these shoes? I am always uneasy with these particular shoes and dresses–I can’t figure out what color tights to wear!

6. e. says:

@spacegeek – I’ve gone both ways. In this outfit I wanted the attention to be on the sweater, so I went for a subdued leg/shoe combination. But, I’ve also worn these shoes with saffron tights and my navy jersey dress, and I loved how whimsical it looked. I’ve worn maroon tights with these shoes as well. I think it just depends on the rest of the outfit!

7. arnique says:

I love the bright yellow peeking out of the greens and blues. I think the mix of textures really works.

I just came across this blog, and I find the concept to be so interesting. As a law student, I tend to dress smart casual in neutrals for most of the week then make up for the lack of colour over the weekend and breaks. :)) I find style blogging very therapeutic, esp. after midterms.

Arianne from A + B in the Sea

8. [...] push this outfit over the top for me. The combination of olive green and metal also tapped into the military trend from this fall. The belt was an impulse purchase at J. Crew. It was on sale for $10 and I figured that I’ve been [...]

9. [...] with the proportions here, though, which is where most of my ambivalence stems from. Like E., I was late to the skinny jeans party, concerned that they would emphasize my pear shape and short [...]