30 September 2010 – Black and White Week, Day 4

September 30th, 2010 § 24 comments

30 September 2010 – Black and White Week, Day 4, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Cardigan: (worn backwards) Banana Republic, free from swap
  • Skirt: thrifted
  • Belt: thrifted
  • Necklace: Target
  • Shoes: Steve Madden, via Macys

E.’s black and white week, day four. Party in the back.

I once saw someone on wardrobe_remix wear her cardigan backwards. Sadly, I no longer remember who that was, but the idea has stuck with me and the pearl buttons on this cardigan seemed like they would make such a reversal look intentional.

Pearl Buttons, originally uploaded by academichic.

Necklace detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 24 Responses to 30 September 2010 – Black and White Week, Day 4"

1. Holly says:

Love the cardigan reversal! Especially the front view…so sophisticated with the jet-black beads.

2. Lauren says:

I’ve seen this cardigan reversal pop up on several blogs this week! I like it – just have to find a cardigan that will work with the idea!! :)

3. Liz Rosas says:

That is such a clever idea! I never would have guessed!

4. eli says:

backwards cardigan!!! consider my mind officially blown. love it.

5. LindenLincoln says:

Diane Vreeland is smiling! She said “I always wear my sweater backwards, it’s much more flattering!” You channeled a legend through this challenge- loving the whole week!

6. Kathryn says:

would the backwards sweater fit well if you didn’t wear a belt with it? great look!

7. Terri says:

I like the idea, but is it every a “bit” mis-shapen?

8. Isha says:

Hi Academichic ladies, I discovered your blog about a week ago and have been reading through your archives ever since. Just had to comment today with the revelation of wearing a cardigan backwards! You’ve totally jumpstarted my enthusiasm for a new semester with your colour wheel, inspiring outfits and wry commentaries of fashion in academia. Thanks to you, I’ve rediscovered my belt collection and a number of items of clothing that were heading to the recycle bin have now been reborn. And I’m still dreaming of layering two dresses! Love the blog, keep up the good work!

9. backward cardigan!? consider my mind blown.

10. admin says:

Well, ladies, this is where being flat chested comes in particularly handy, as my cardigans have not been particularly stretched out up top in front. I thought it looked a little plain in front without the added texture of the beads and belt, and I do think that the belt helps to keep a good shape. This isn’t something that would work with all of my cardigans. This particular cardi was a good candidate because it’s more substantial and has a high neck with lots of buttons to keep things smooth. It worked, and I didn’t fidget or worry about slipping buttons all day.

- E

11. Angeline says:

Love it! The pearls just look so chic running down your back.

12. Melanie says:

You kill me the way you pull off elegance with a distinct edge! The pearl button cardigan is perfect for wearing backwards. Bravo!

13. Dana says:

The cardigan is AWESOME backwards! I have seen the “upside-down sweater” but never this idea and I love it!

14. Ashley J says:

What a clever idea! I may have to steal that from you…you look great by the way!

15. SweetAsCake says:

I love the backwards cardigan! The pearl buttons in back are gorgeous.

16. You often prompt me to think of clothes in new ways. Thanks for that!

-Anne-Marie

17. Linda says:

I’ve never seen a cardigan backwards. I love it! What a great idea to mix it up – especially if you have beautiful pearl buttons to show off!

18. Sarah says:

What a great idea wearing that cardigan backwards!

What a fabulously fun idea! I love how this turned out!

20. Iris says:

I love the backwards cardigan, what a great way to channel a fall trend/runway style with something from your closet!!

21. Shannon says:

I love this a lot. :) My mom used to wear her cardigans backwards–I suppose it was common in the 50s or 60s? I think I remember a character in a Joyce Carol Oates novel doing it too. I’ve never thought of trying it myself; maybe now I will. :)

22. What a fantastic idea! Especially with those pearl buttons.

23. A-C says:

Wow, this is stunning! And you definitely chose the perfect cardigan for it too.

24. [...] clockwise from top left: adiaphane, academichic, closet confections, [...]