The Chics at A’s Wedding Celebration

September 29th, 2010 § 20 comments

Academichic Partying, originally uploaded by academichic.

Sources (from left to right):
On J:

• Chinos- Brooksbrothers
  • Shirt- Uniqlo
  • Bowtie- Jcrew
  • Navy Legacy Blazer- J.Crew
  • Shoes- Sperry

On S:

• Dress – Laundry by Shelli Segal, via TJMaxx
  • Shoes – Antonio Melani, via Dillards

On A:

• Dress – J Crew, customized by E.
  • Shoes – Off Broadway, customized by me
  • Bracelet – Gift from S.
  • Earrings – gift from A2
  • Necklace – pearls from my mom, my sisters, E. S. and L.

On E:

• Dress – Forever 21, refashioned (twice) by E.
  • Necklace – Forever 21
  • Belt – Gap Outlet
  • Shoes – Lauren by Ralph Lauren, via Macy’s

On L:

• Dress – Max and Cleo, via Filene’s Basement
  • Shoes – vintage Calvin Klein that she had re-soled

When A2 and I decided to get married, we opted for a small ceremony in a special place with just our families.  We wouldn’t change a thing about it, but we knew from the start that this would mean following the wedding with a big party.  We wanted to celebrate with all of our incredible friends and extended family.  So this past Saturday, three months after our wedding, that is just what we did!

And of course, all the chics (J. is less than thrilled about this new title) were in attendance and dressed to the nines!

L. wore a smashing black cocktail dress with a full floral detail around the bottom.  My favorite part? It had pockets!  She finished the look with a pair of vintage satin Calvin Klein kitten heals that she had re-soled.

As to be expected, this was a party full of fabulous footwear!

OMGshoes, originally uploaded by academichic.

S. actually wore the shoes she wore for her own wedding last summer.  They were the perfect sparkly addition to her sparkle-topped halter dress in my favorite color.

I also wore the shoes from my wedding ceremony – one of my favorite parts of my wedding ensemble and the inspiration for the party dress.

Cheap Custom Wedding Shoes, originally uploaded by academichic.

While not rocking party shoes, J. snazzed it up with a stylish and playful bow tie.  His slacks and blazer hit the perfect note for this semi-formal event.

J’s Bow Tie, originally uploaded by academichic.

E. looked radiant in her bright orange dress. I think that is exactly how I described her the first time she wore this dress, which she has now refashioned twice. I enlisted E.s refashioning skills for my own custom party dress.

I considered wearing the dress I wore for the wedding ceremony, because I loved it and felt beautiful in it, but in the end decided I wanted more of a party dress for this event.  I still wanted to wear my shoes and the pearls (see the story here) and to keep with my grey color scheme AND didn’t have much money to spend on it.  I found this dress at J Crew and loved the color, the full skirt, and the price (I ended up paying $35 for it).  It started as a halter dress, which seemed a little less formal than I was going for and was not fitting me perfectly in the bodice.  I showed the dress to E. and she quickly came up with the idea of using the halter ties as straps and adding an off-white ribbon around my waist to draw in the shoes and the pearls.  The crossed straps added visual interest to the back and allowed us to raise the neckline some.

So thanks to E. I got wear a custom dress with my custom shoes and jewelry!

CustomDress – Thanks E.!, originally uploaded by academichic.
The party was wonderful and A2 and I just kept saying how lucky we felt to be surrounded by so many people we love and who love us.  We have so many incredible friends and we loved sharing this milestone in our lives with them.

A. & S., originally uploaded by academichic.

A2 & L., originally uploaded by academichic.
I am particularly lucky to be able to count this stylish bunch among my closest friends.  J. S. E. and L. each played such a huge role in the wedding and party preparations and I can’t thank them enough. We couldn’t have had our dream wedding or thrown such a perfect party without them!  I don’t know when we will all be in the same place at the same time again, but I am so grateful it happened on this one wonderful night!
J. S. E. and L. – A2 and I love each of you so much! Thank you!
A.
The Chics!, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , , , ,

§ 20 Responses to The Chics at A’s Wedding Celebration"

1. Kathleen says:

You all look lovely (and J. looks very dapper)! Congrats again A.!

2. S. says:

It was the best wedding party ever!! T. and I loved it, thank you so much A! We love you two :)

3. b. says:

Oh, I love this post! Having followed your blog from the beginning makes me feel I know each of you a tiny bit, and so seeing these pictures felt like greeting old friends. Is this the first time we’ve seen you all together?

Congrats, A and A2–may you have many happy years together!

4. jentine says:

So nice to see you all together and looking sharp as can be!
    S., we miss you….

5. I love everyone’s looks! And especially what you did with the back of that dress, A! THe criss cross straps are so pretty!.

6. Sigh, you all look so wonderful! Congratulations again to A and A2!

7. EmilyKennedy says:

Awww! That is so awesome! What wonderful pictures!

8. m says:

Y’all look beautiful! A, your kind words about the other chics communicate the genuine fondness you have for each other. It is delightful for me to read about how y’all have not only inspired each other’s sense of style and supported each other through the strain of academic rigors, but also shared together in some of life’s most profound joys. What could be more beautiful that that?

9. Sara says:

Aww you all look great, and it’s awesome to see you all in one picture!! :) I really love the creativity of fixing the dress like you did!

10. Secret Squirrel says:

How lovely to see all of the Chic’s past and present lined up. I do miss S, but am glad that L has joined the line up. And my husband is very happy when J posts!

11. Erika says:

1. I love the hem detail on L’s dress.

2. The halter-conversion on A’s dress was a great idea; I suspect this new look is much more flattering than the old one was.

3. Why do men ever wear anything BUT bow ties? J’s whole outfit is a great, playful look.

4. How fun for you all to see each other again!

12. kelly k says:

You all look stunning! Love it!
    Congrats on your wedding!

And… very creative way of fixing a low neckline and too long halter straps!

13. Catherine says:

Congrats! This post is so cute – love seeing you guys all together…

14. Jessica says:

Congratulations, A and A2!! I love seeing you all together, and most of all I love how everyone’s clothing was so…in character. All so representative of your personal style. If I saw all of those dresses (or shoes and bowtie!) hanging next to each other, I could probably pick out which one everyone wore, if that makes sense.
    J’s bowtie is so cute, I would probably wear it. :D And I adore the way S did her hair.
    You all are lovely as usual.

15. MONKEYFACE says:

Oh, this is so happy! It’s really fun to see you all together, looking amazing while enjoying such a special occasion. Thanks so much for sharing it with us :)

16. Jen says:

My my, what a smart-looking group! A, thank you for sharing your happiest of moments with us. From my corner of the world to yours, I wish you and A2 all the best!

17. Jess says:

Everyone looks brilliant! It’s so awesome to see all of you interacting, instead of alone on your porches and lawns. This is a fantastic post and I’m sure the celebration was even better :)

18. Amy says:

Everyone looks great! And what a great way to refashion a dress!

Now, you are going to think I’m a tad nuts. But I’m planning my own wedding right now (while writing my master’s thesis, eep!) and I saw the globe cafe lights in the background of your photo. Did you purchase those or were they at the venue? I need some for my wedding reception and was wondering where you got them. Thanks! :D

19. [...] L. S. and E. They were so touching and meant so much to me, as do each of those beautiful women!  I’ve said before, I am so lucky to have such wonderful friends. Thank you E. L. and S. for making me smile (and tear [...]

20. [...] the chancellor’s house. A. “winterizes” the beautiful (and customized!) dress she wore to her autumn wedding party by adding grey tights, a black belt with sparkly buckle, and black patent shoes. A statement [...]