28 September 2010

September 28th, 2010 § 15 comments

28 September 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Cardigan – Banana Republic
  • Brown Tee – H & M
  • Orange Skirt – J Crew (via clothes swap)
  • Circle Scarf – American Eagle
  • Flats – DSW
  • Earrings – Banana Republic

Have I mentioned that I love Fall?  And that it has everything to do with red and orange leaves on the ground, boots, blazers, scarves, pumpkin spiced lattes, and brisk morning runs?  Well, I love Fall!  And, it might also have something to do with mixing earth tones, corduroy, pumpkin flavored everything, and my birthday!

The weather in Academichic Central has been beautiful, ideal really, for the past few days and this week’s forecast looks equally lovely.  Many people reach for boots the moment temperatures break 70, others go for tench coats or long cardigans.  You will not be surprised, that I gleefully run for my scarf collection.

This lose-knit floppy circle scarf is a recent addition, purchased on super sale over the summer. I couldn’t be more excited to pull it out this morning for its long-awaited premier!

circle scarf, originally uploaded by academichic.
Bakelite Earrings, originally uploaded by academichic.
I also, like that this scarf allows for a reprise of my summer obsession of red with white and blue stripes.  Swapping out the red for this corally-orange and the white for cream gives the mix a decidedly more autumnal feel.
Have you pulled out the scarves yet?  The boots?  What is the first seasonal piece to emerge after a summer hibernation in your closet?   A.

28 September 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged

§ 15 Responses to 28 September 2010"

1. Aussie says:

Very nice! You can definitely wear these colors and they are certainly ‘autumnal’. We’re heading from spring to summer here so can’t comment on first seasonal pieces in use. I’m shedding them, not adding them.

2. Amanda says:

Did you get a haircut? Adorable!!

3. Iris says:

This is really a perfect fall outfit! I especially love the scarf and skirt color combo :)

4. EmilyKennedy says:

Ooh wow. I love your haircut!

I’ve pulled out… gosh alot! Boots, scarves, mittens, jackets, long sleeves. Yeah. I hate being cold!

5. M.E.J. says:

Nice scarf, A.! Also, it’s good you’ve added a new pencil skirt to your wardrobe. The pic just shows those are your favorite for a reason!

6. Kat says:

A., I love the color mixing here. It feels really pulled together and classy, but it’s a color combination I would never have thought to try, and it’s almost hard to put my finger on why it works so well. I think for me maybe it’s something to do with the subtle gradations of warm-neutral in the accessorizing (from the sweater to the cream in the scarf, and of course, the very cute shoes) that pull it all together, and let the brown and coral and blue all play off each other. Hmm, now I’m feeling challenged to try out an unusual fall color mix myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

The color combination in this outfit is so unexpected and perfect. I love the blue stripes with the rust orange skirt!!

8. Anne says:

Keith Moxey? nice touch! I love the orange skirt and am trying to find one for myself for the Fall, preferably something a little more red and with a bit of texture.

9. Terri says:

what a wonderful skirt!!!

10. Angeline says:

So jealous…it’s been triple-digits here all week. But last week it was finally down to the 80s and I totally busted out my boots. My mom bought me a pair of brown flat boots for my birthday and I’m pretty sure I’ll be living in them all fall and winter (in addition to all the other boots I already had).

11. Catherine says:

Oh! What book is that in the background?

12. Allison says:

Boots! I live in cardigans year round because I am cold natured, but boots are my first leap into fall fashion every year.

13. Diana says:

I’m with you on the scarves! Definitely the first thing I pull out… since I have a ton of them and they go with everything! Plus they provide just enough warmth without being too hot for early fall; personally I find 70 still a bit too warm for things like boots, but it’s perfect for short sleeves with a scarf and a cardigan for the evenings.

14. kelly k says:

Love this outfit! It looks versatile and comfy, but yet polished and with personal style. Also, not sure, but if you got a haircut- it looks great!

15. [...] obsession with red, white, and blue (especially blue and white stripes) that lasted all summer and well into the fall?  Well, the obsession has morphed a bit and now it’s all about the blue and white stripes.  [...]