1 September 2010 – Warm Welcome

August 31st, 2010 § 9 comments

2010 Academichic – Warm Welcome, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Jersey Dress: Even via Off 5th
  • Scarf: ?
  • Turquoise Shoes: Sam Edelman via Off 5th
  • Necklace and bracelet: family

Please forgive my bland backdrop. I have just completed two days of new faculty orientation and am now heading into three straight days of full faculty meetings, so unpacking and decorating my new apartment have both been put on the back burner for now. I wore this outfit to my new bosses house for dinner tonight, and I have to say, it hit just the right note. The headmaster held a lovely dinner at his house to welcome us newbies into the community, so I wanted to be dressed up enough for the occasion of being invited to the Head’s house, but also casual enough to survive the 90 degree weather and end-of-summer vibe. Over the last two days I have consciously calculated my outfits to ease my colleagues into my style (i.e., I’ve been holding back on the full-on belting everything that I usually enjoy, and I’ve scaled down the accessorizing to a minimum). In fact, I didn’t even end up wearing the floral skirt I showed last week because, as many of you commented, it was a little too youthful for my first impression at a new job. Granted this has been a tricky time to broker, but I’ve still held to my mantra that over-dressing is better than under-dressing. This midnight blue jersey dress is perfect for the dog days of summer because it gives me full coverage while also being breathable.

2010 Academichic – Warm Welcome detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

Turquoise Shoes, originally uploaded by academichic.

I decided to embellish the built-in waistband with a little pop of color and then matched my turquoise faux snakeskin flats to the turquoise, purple, and green scarf. Because this was a somewhat celebratory dinner I also put on two of my favorite pieces of jewelry – my grandmother’s ultra-modern style turquoise bracelet and my Pisces zodiac charm necklace – both of which were handed down in my family.

Pisces Necklace, originally uploaded by academichic.

Zigzag Bracelet, originally uploaded by academichic.

This bracelet is definitely a powerful piece for me, and I think the lightening bolt zigzag makes me feel a little bit like Wonder Woman, which was just what I needed when I was seated next to the Headmaster at dinner! What power-pieces do you have in your jewelry box?

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 9 Responses to 1 September 2010 – Warm Welcome"

1. Lori says:

Wow, how did you get your scarf to be arranged as a belt like that?

2. EmilyKennedy says:

I really like this outfit. Especially with the turquoise flats. They hit a great note!

3. Rebekah says:

I hope you get to settle into your new place soon! Living out of boxes gets frustrating.

My “power pieces” of jewelry would be two huge, wide metal cuffs stamped with phoenixes— not only are they a bold fashion statement (for me, anyway), the phoenix symbolism cheers me up on rotten days.

4. the spanish lady says:

You look stunning. I totally love the pairing of the scarf and the shoes.

As for my power pieces, they are a silver flower pin and a silver elephant charm that were given to my grandma when she was a child. I too feel like wonderwoman while wearing them!!

5. Melissa says:

I love this! Love the pop of pattern in the scarf and color in the shoes. You look fantastic!

6. T. says:

This dress looks perfect for the occassion! Love your accessories.

7. [...] “hotness” and dress (you should also read La Historiadora de Moda’s response) and L.’s admission that she’s “easing” her colleagues into her style, I also felt much more self-conscious this year about how the other teaching assistants [...]

8. Iris says:

I really like this outfit! It is simple but the bits of light blue really make it pop :)

9. [...] whole outfits around a single piece of jewelry, wear my favorite pieces when I’m in an especially stressful situation, and to add serious bling to a summer dress. This outfit falls into the first category in that the [...]