30 August 2010

August 29th, 2010 § 22 comments

30 August 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Black Shirt Dress – BR Outlet
  • Belt – BR Outlet
  • Red Flats – Target
  • Earrings – Gift from A2
  • Bangles – Gift from S.

With a little encouragement from E. and L., I purchased this black shirt dress from BR Outlet towards the beginning of the summer.  I love the wrap top, full skirt, and of course, the pockets!

I was dying to wear it all summer but never had the right occasion in the right weather, so it made it’s premier at our department start of the year breakfast.  These events can be tricky to dress for because you are asked to mingle with faculty, staff, and other students, meet new students, listen to announcements, conduct beginning of the year business, and what ever else your department chair might throw your way, all while awkwarly balancing a bad cup of coffee and a less-than-stellar pastry.

I, per usual, was one of the more dressed up graduate students, but I felt comfortable and confident – what more could you ask for?

It was at this department breakfast meeting 5 years ago that I first met E.  We both often tell this story of quickly picking each other out of the crowd, as we were the only two people in skirts that day.  After the breakfast we decided to go buy our books together and the rest is history. I’m glad that E.’s first impression of me was of a fashionable nerd!

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 22 Responses to 30 August 2010"

1. Angela says:

I absolutely love that dress and look! I’ve tried on several similar dresses and they always come out looking like shapeless sacks on me. Maybe I should try a belt…

I love this shirt-dress! It seems perfect for a start-of-year breakfast.

3. Angie says:

That dress is gorgeous–it’s so simple, but so flattering! It looks perfect with the belt!

4. Lauren says:

Love this! So simply chic and stylish. Just goes to show it doesn’t take much to look absolutely fabulous!

5. That dress is just lovely on you! What a wonderful memory the department evokes for you! I guess that makes up for the bad coffee.

6. MONKEYFACE says:

Allow me to further the love for this dress! It looks brown in the photos and I actually would love it in that color. I hope on my first day of orientation that I’m able to have a friend-at-first-sight moment like you and E. did!

7. EE K says:

You look incredible in this dress – it fits you like a glove!

8. Trish says:

You look fabulous in the dress! And its perfect for the breakfast.

9. EmilyKennedy says:

Oooh way cute. I love the way this looks on you. Really outstanding!

10. Stephanie says:

Now, you wouldn’t happen to recall what you were wearing on that particular day besides skirts, would you? That’d be interesting to know! :)

11. I *just* tried on this dress. Regrettably, my ailing pocketbook kept me from it.

12. Beth says:

I love your dress! Especially since I also bought it at the BR outlet when I went with a friend (she also has the dress). I was considering wearing it with a chunky red necklace – and I liked the look of your red shoes, so I just may do that!

13. Aww, thanks for sharing the story about meeting E.! It’s so fun to learn about how blog friends met in real life.

You look so professional and stylish. This was a perfect outfit for the dept meetup.

14. Kristen says:

I really like that dress and belt. It looks really nice.

15. Angeline says:

Love the dress, and that belt is a real standout!

16. Jess says:

That dress looks fantastic on you, especially with the belt! I also will love you forever for using “per” correctly.

17. Becky says:

Awwww, that’s sweet! I had a similar experience in grad school. We had an orientation luncheon where I was seated with a bunch of strangers. Later that afternoon, paying my bill at the bursar one of the same strangers was behind me in line. We decided to not be strangers and became besties all through grad school. It was a match made in M.A. heaven.

I love your dress! I just bought a full skirted dress myself and can’t wait to wear it!

18. Terri says:

It’s a beautiful dress. And I know what you mean about spotting another like soul in a room.

19. [...] are queens of shirt-dresses (including ones that wrap) and both have an excellent collection of styles, colors, and materials, not to mention the styling that they do themselves to make these dresses [...]