24 August 2010 – Olive You

August 23rd, 2010 § 13 comments

24 August 2010 – Olive You, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Top: Target
  • Necklace: Forever 21
  • Belt: thrifted
  • Skirt: Banana Republic Factory
  • Wedges: thrifted

Like A. and L., I had to let our color challenge spill over into the following week. I just wasn’t feeling a monochromatic look last week. But, never fear, I have prevailed. And with green, no less.

Ruffle and Necklace Detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

I usually wouldn’t wear a chunky necklace with a top that already has neckline details, like this one. One of the benefits of a monochromatic color scheme, however, is that it lets you play a little more with the “more is more” concept. Layering a yellow-green statement necklace over olive ruffles adds some textural interest within a limited color palette. (I also could have added baby e.’s yellow-green sippy cup to the mix, but I figured I already had enough going on.)

Also, I didn’t tuck in my top. Given my propensity for high-waisted everything, this is a departure for me. Granted, I’m still defining my waist — and adding some lovely drape and blousing — with a skinny belt, but the overall effect of a peplum of sorts is fetching, and it still keeps my never-ending torso in check. One of my fall style resolutions is to play more with drape and volume, and this is a good start, albeit a baby step.

Do you have any fall style resolutions?

24 August 2010 – Olive You, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 13 Responses to 24 August 2010 – Olive You"

1. Melissa says:

This is a gorgeous outfit! Casual and chic and ever so stylish. I love the ruffles in the top and I do like the skinny belt creating the blousy-ness and draping.

My only resolution is to see how creative I can get without spending much money! :)

E., I just love this!! The yellow-green and olive are perfect together. One of my fall resolutions is to repurpose my existing wardrobe to fit with some of the new fall trends.

3. I love the necklace with the top – you’re right about detail+detail being too much sometimes, but when the colours are right it’s lovely.

As for fall style resolutions, well, between you and me, I might be a tiny bit limited in that department this year, so perhaps a lot of empire line…?

4. MONKEYFACE says:

I am resolved to move away from the monochromatic color schemes and adopt more surprising color choices in my wardrobe. I’m very drawn to outfits primarily made up of varying shades of the same color (there’s something very simple and polished about them) but I wear them too often. Needless to say I’m loving your olives today!

5. Kelly K says:

I have a fall style resolution that I need help with. My only goal is not to despise my entire wardrobe come January! My closet is basically full of long-sleeved tees and sweaters to go over them. How can I mix it up while keeping it casual? Which colors are hot for fall?

6. My goal is not to don the t-shirt/jeans/flip flop uniform I wore all last year while at school. :)

7. EmilyKennedy says:

Love this! Olive is such a beautiful color and looks wonderful on you.

8. Licia says:

I really like this outfit. I would not have thought of wearing a necklace with that top, but you are right. It works because you are staying with the same color. I love it.

9. Olive is a color I normally think of as relating to autumn, and sleeveless tops and shorter skirts of course typically relate to summer. So it seems you’ve created a nice season-transitional outfit! I like it!

This fall I resolve *not* to divide my wardrobe down seasonal lines, but to mix colors and fabrics across categories, just as you’ve done here.

-Anne-Marie

10. Liz Rosas says:

I saw this and immediately changed into my denim pencil skirt, if only I had a cute tank like yours!

11. Jen says:

Hooray! I bought a top very, very (eerily, really) similar to this from Charlotte Russe and was not sure how to make it chic. Thank you for the inspiration!

12. [...] came together very organically. That might be because in a lot of ways this is a reiteration of my monochrome olive outfit a few days ago. (I’m not concerned, though, since I’ve been steeping myself in [...]

13. admin says:

@Sarah – Congratulations! I have no doubt that your fall of empire waists (and maybe some below the bump belting?) will be über-stylish!