9 August 2010

August 9th, 2010 § 16 comments

9 August 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Sheath dress: H&M
  • Belt: from another dress
  • Bracelets: gift
  • Pumps: Steve Madden, via Macy’s super shoe sale

This week we’re reviewing triads and analogous color combinations. An analogous color scheme takes two (or more) colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. I think for our purposes, an analogous scheme could be either a veryclose pairing with a tertiary color — like green and blue green or red and red orange — or it could be neighboring colors on a simplified color wheel — like yellow and orange or green and blue.

So today I’m “premiering” (as A. would say) my magenta pumps — let’s call them red violet for the sake of our color wheel — and pairing them with a purpley gray sheath dress that I’ve recently unearthed from my closet. I also added a true purple belt to push the ambiguously colored dress more towards violet and to underscore this tight analogous pairing.

9 August 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

(And yes, these shoes are just the magenta version of the blue pumps I’ve worn recently. It was one of those pick-your-own-birthday-gift situations and I couldn’t refuse. Not only are they great colors, they’re also quite comfortable with the rounded toe, padded footbed, and a heel that’s low enough to walk around in but high enough to give my calves a nice boost. I’ll admit, though, that my feet seem to just fit Steve Madden shoes and boots really well, so some of my comfort might be from finding a brand that jives with my particular foot shape.)

Back to the dress. Between pregnancy, breastfeeding, and re-learning my postpartum body, I haven’t worn a sheath dress in over a year and a half. It had been so long, in fact, that I totally forgot how much I actually adore sheaths. It’s a body conscious shape that makes me feel really sleek and put together and powerful. As Emeril Lagasse would say: “Bam.” Sure, this is not really bend over and pick up baby e. friendly nor do I think I can ride my bike in this particular dress, but I am about ready to toss function out the door in favor of pursuing a previously loved-then-lost form.

I think I’m going to shortly launch a search for a back-to-school sheath that has a little stretch in it. Suggestions for where to look — particularly from fellow long-waisted ladies — are definitely welcome.

9 August 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 16 Responses to 9 August 2010"

1. Jamie says:

This dress looks so sleek and sophisticated on you. And I very much enjoy the analogous color on pairing – on an expanded color wheel, it’s the perfect way to spice up a monochromatic color scheme.

Jamie at thriftythreadsnyc.blogspot.com

2. Sally says:

Simple, elegant, perfect. Glad you’ve rediscovered your sheaths.

3. Bettina says:

I just love it! It’s elegant and beautiful – sadly, I’d feel seriously overdressed if I wore this at my uni job, even on teaching days!

4. You look absolutely smashing! I hope you find a back-to-school sheath and submit your look to our back to school conference over at Fashionable Academics!

5. Lila says:

Zara always has fantastic sheath dresses. I love them for teaching because they’re so easy to wear.

6. Lauren says:

Bam is right! This is so chic and flattering and the colors are just amazing!

7. This is a lovely and sophisticated look for sure. I love a colored suede pump yet I have NONE of my own (curses!). I dig the way the sash is draped as well.

8. You look amazing. Well done!

9. You look great in this sheath, and I definitely agree that wearing the purple belt makes the grayish dress read more purple than it otherwise might. And I’ve been known to buy the same item in different colors, too. I actually have this very same dress in a blue print, and my sister owns the exact one in pink AND purple!

I actually just picked up a brand new black sheath dress at H&M which fits me as well as this one does, so you might head back there to start your search!

10. It is definitely a great outfit. I love it!
    But pardon my ignorance but is ‘sheath dress’ the same as a ‘shift’ dress? I’ve never heard of a sheath dress…. maybe different name for the same things in different countries. (ie. cookie / biscuit ??)

11. Sarah says:

Interestingly, I found that the purple belt makes the dress look less purple–by comparing it with a true purple, my eye goes to the grayish/mauve tones that make this more muted and less purple. I think that to me, a muted yellowish belt would have had the opposite effect–bringing out the brighter and purple-r tones against the warmer contrasting belt. Of course, ymmv.

12. Kathleen says:

E., I love this color combo on you and you look terrific in that sheath dress. Good luck finding a new one!

13. Tiffany says:

Love those red pumps!

XOXO,

14. Hannah says:

Try Ann Taylor. I’m 5’10″ with a long torso and just bought a beautiful black sheath there that I can’t wait to dress up in all fall/winter!

15. supa smart and polished look. A+