30 July 2010

July 30th, 2010 § 11 comments

30 July 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Dress – BR Outlet
  • Belt – Old Navy
  • White Tank – Banana Republic
  • Grey Flats – BR Outlet

I took this picture at 6:15 am before leaving for NYC so please excuse the tired face.  I am now in NYC having a great time and will post a picture or two from my visit soon.  For my early morning flight I chose a comfy jersey dress in a bright color and grey flats that would easily slip off at security and allow me to walk all over the city one I arrived.

I have to admit, I felt slightly out of place at the Met Library (and in the upscale cappuccino joint nearby) in my bright colors.  I probably would have looked more like a New Yorker in one of my black or grey jersey dresses or better yet my black pencil skirt.  But alas, this is NOT neutrals week!  So, I added my favorite belt to make a 2/3 color combo blue-green + red-violet (+ yellow-orange).

Any New Yorkers out there participating in the color challenge, proudly wearing their bright colors? Bright berry pink even?

A.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 11 Responses to 30 July 2010"

1. You look great rocking color in NYC!

2. Iris says:

I wear color all the time! It’s not that I don’t appreciate the elegance of an all neutral pallat, I just hate to be one of “those” New Yorkers that wear head to toe black 24/7. Where the fun in that?

3. sundaze says:

I LOVE this color combo!!

As a NYer living in the South I’ve been weening myself off always purchasing the black/grey/navy option. You ladies are helping me see the beauty in mixing it up!

4. Becky says:

That dress looks smashing! You’ll look fantastic and stand out in your bright colors in NYC, maybe a New Yorker or two will get some ideas from your cheery style!

5. maureen says:

Great color combinations on you! And NY is all about dressing for their own style, what is cool and chic to each individual, so of course you fit in. Hope you had a blast here…today’s weather is beautiful.

6. I was just in NYC yesterday too! Trying to look professional and confident for my thesis research interviews, I wore blue and brown shirts layered over a tan pencil skirt. This made me realize that darks/neutrals are comforting when I am nervous about going somewhere for the first time. Maybe it’s because I feel like my nervousness makes me stand out enough. I was pleased when confused tourists on the subway mistook me for a local, but I think I’ll be a little more daring with color on my next trip there.

7. Sabrina says:

You look lovely in this beautiful color!
    I’m Jersey girl gone Midwest who returned back to NYC 2 years ago, and I’ve always been comfortable mostly in neutrals, but you ladies have taught me to embrace the pop of color (but the pop is all I can handle.) It’s a learning process!

8. Melissa says:

I absolutely ADORE this dress! The cut is fantastic on you and that color is amazing. LOVE.

9. Shea says:

I love these bright colors! I have a dress in the same shade, and I’m definitely going to try it mixed with turquoise–I love it!

10. [...] forgot to document our outfits for the day, but I’ve recreated mine as another example of how to bring color into the city. Magenta and turquoise are definitely two of my favorite colors and happen to be two-thirds of a [...]

11. [...] belt you might recognize as the same as E’s and A’s (although hers is teal) and it is one of the workhorses of my wardrobe. I wear a lot of grey and grey goes with everything, [...]