Introducing…L.!

July 25th, 2010 § 39 comments

We’re thrilled to welcome a new voice to Academichic in time for the upcoming academic year! “L.” was in the same department as A. and E., and recently completed her M.A. Now a new teacher in a new climate, she’s getting ready to tackle a particular set of wardrobe challenges while developing a post-grad school style that still incorporates her love of hot pink. We’re delighted to have her on board, so please give her a warm welcome!

2010 Academichic July 21 – 09, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Top: Banana Republic
  • Skirt: Banana Republic Outlet
  • Belt: American Apparel
  • Shoes: Tahari via DSW
  • Necklace: gift

Hello everyone and thank you E., S., and A. for inviting me to be a “post-doc” on Academichic! As E. mentioned I recently completed my M.A. and have departed the mid-west for the cooler climes of New England. Having come from extreme humidity it was refreshing to arrive in my new home and realize that come winter I will be able to layer, experiment with colorful sweaters, and show off my collection of tights. But back to right now…this summer look was inspired by a recent museum visit during which Little Dancer Age Fourteen by Edgar Degas was featured. Her proud stance, tight bodice, and knee-length tutu stood out in a room full of museumgoers in shorts and T’s. I know it is dangerous to dress-like-art (see Yves Saint Laurent’s Mondrian dress from 1965), but I went for it anyway.

I have been wearing this flowy white skirt all summer, but usually with slouchier more bohemian tops and a wide woven belt. However, this is my favorite combination yet, and the fitted top gives me definition that helps to offset the fullness of the skirt. I am happy that my stretchy purple/maroon belt creates an analogous color paring with the lilac tank, and the tiny ruched edge poking out above the belt adds to the ballet feel of this outfit.

originally uploaded by academichic.

I try to stay away from being too “match-y” but I could not resist wearing this amethyst necklace on a gold chain to help tie in my gold wedges. I am a big fan of metallic shoes (as regular readers will see in the future!), and I pare them with casual, formal, day, night, pants, and skirts — anything that needs a little shimmer! I love these wedges because they seem to be the perfect height to make my calves attain that long-lean-I-spend-2-hours-a-day-doing-pilates look (without actually doing the pilates). Also, being 5’3” it helps to boost me up a few inches.

originally uploaded by academichic.

originally uploaded by academichic.

That’s all for this post. I look forward to hearing from you and sharing more wardrobe ideas with you in the months to come!

L.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 39 Responses to Introducing…L.!"

1. angie~* says:

Hello L!
    *waves from Australia!*

2. A2 says:

Yay!! So glad to see your first post L! You look great!
    Welcome to the chic family – we are looking forward to many more fabulous posts like this one!

3. Cynthia says:

Yay! You look fab. I too love metallic shoes.

I think studiously avoiding matchy-ness can sometimes be as artificial as matchy-ness itself. Putting on a gold necklace to pick up your gold shoes is hardly the same as having fiercely matching shoes/bag/belt/necklace (or your favorite example of excess).

4. Catherine says:

Can’t wait to see what you have to add to this already fantastic blog!

5. Fer says:

welcome, L.! love the skirt :)

6. Goannatree says:

Hi L! great to see a new face! though we love all of you! A.

7. Michelle says:

Welcome to the site! What a wonderful surprise!

8. Jess says:

Yay and welcome! Although I’m decidedly not a fan of American Apparel’s recent switch in style offerings, I love that belt and the stretchy quality! I’ll have to check it out.

9. Rebecca says:

Welcome, L! You’ve joined a pretty awesome group of über fierce academidames. Love that belt, and my what wonderfully muscled arms you have.

Looking forward to your posts!
    -Becca

10. maureen says:

Welcome L. Lovely summer outfit!

11. Starling says:

Welcome, L! I particularly love the silhouette this outfit creates – what a great look :)

12. Caroline says:

Welcome!!

13. the spanish lady says:

Welcome L!

You look great! I hope you have a great time around here!

Can’t way to see how you mix metallic shoes for a casual outfit. I love them, but can think ahead of a neutral pairing for them.

By the way, a low cost store sold a few years ago a reinterpretation of the mondrian dress here in Spain and they all disappeared in a few days.

14. elbee says:

Welcome, L! :) I, too, love your fabulous arms and legs, and with enough working out, maybe mine will look as good as that someday.

15. Melissa says:

You are a great new addition to the site! I love this outfit, the colors and the silhouette and the shoes!

I really like how girly and flirty the look is, but it’s also simple and not overdone. So pretty!

16. Melissa says:

Thanks in advance for the time and posts you’ll put into this blog! I have to admit it’s the only one I follow regularly…

As a petite Canadian, I’m looking forward to seeing how you put outfits together for both the vertically- and weather-challenged.

Welcome!

17. Sarah says:

Welcome L!! Love those wedges!

18. Rae says:

Welcome. As someone who just started blogging about style, I love seeing more perspectives.

19. Allison says:

Welcome! Excited to read all your posts in the future!

20. Rebekah says:

Hey, your combined initials spell S.A.L.E.

Or A.L.E.S, assuming you’re all over 21.

21. Terri says:

I’m glad to see a new face here. It’s a lovely look and from the pics I would never have guessed at your height.

22. Becky says:

Hi and welcome! I look forward to seeing your forays into a new climate.

23. Kathleen says:

Welcome L! I live in New England too and having grown up in So Cal, I’ve also come to love winters here (except getting stuck on the road during snowstorms).

24. Kelly says:

Welcome!

This outfit is too pretty. One of my favorite color combos and the skirt is juuuuuust the right amount of poufy.

25. Lauren says:

Welcome and love your look!!

26. Diana says:

Hi L! Welcome!

I love this outfit – I think you channeled Degas in a lovely, modern way with this outfit.

27. Trish says:

Welcome L!
    Great first outfit! I can’t wait to see others (especially being 5’2 myself). I’ll definitely try out this outfit.

28. April says:

Howdy! And welcome! I’m also in a somewhat more northern climate, so your layers and combos will be a nice addition to what I already love about academichic! Thanks ladies!
    April

29. A.S. says:

Yay– for the first time, I’ll finally see a fashion blogger with *my* body type!!

30. hello! lovely to meet you. welcome to the cohort ;)

31. Maura says:

Hello! I like that skirt a lot and the tank top looks fantastic on you. Way to come up with something not-obvious that looks really good. Looking forward to future outfits from you :)

Welcome, L! I’m so excited to read your posts, see your outfits, and get to know you better! :)

33. Emily says:

Hi, L! I love this outfit and am looking forward to seeing more! I’m also in the Northeast, so I can’t wait to see what you come up with for our winter months.

34. [...] for her taller frame, but mine was just the right length for her. I replaced my white one with this skirt from BR and A. had another brown skirt as well. All in all a perfect trade. Anyway, I thought the brown [...]

35. [...] this outfit I wanted to look polished, but also show some of my clothing personality – which as E mentioned when I first joined Academichic involves a lot of hot [...]

36. [...] thought it was appropriate that one of my last posts is very reminiscent of my first post – nothing beats a swirly skirt and light tank in the summer heat! However, one thing that [...]

37. [...] have been blogging with academichic for just over one year (my anniversary was on July 25th), and of the chics you all have definitely seen and heard the least from me. So here is a little [...]