23 July 2010 – A & S together

July 23rd, 2010 § 16 comments

A & S together, originally uploaded by academichic.

On A:

• Skirt – Gap Outlet sundress cut by A.
  • Tee – Banana Republic
  • Belt – Banana Republic Outlet
  • Flats – Target
  • Earrings – gift from A2
  • Bangles – Camden Markets
  • Bag – Old Navy

On S:

• Eyelet top – TJMaxx
  • Skirt – J.Crew
  • Flats – Target
  • Bag – old Etienne Aigner hand me down
  • Brown headband – old, can’t remember

A and A2 were heading out of town for a wedding this weekend and their destination just happened to have them passing the town my husband and I call home. So they were able to work in a little mini vacation to visit us as well. It was so wonderful to have them in town for a couple of days; we caught up on stories, had the dogs play and swim together; got to finally see all their wedding pictures; and A. and I got to go on morning runs together like in the good ol’ days…bliss!

A & S together, originally uploaded by academichic.

And, no, while these pictures may suggest otherwise, we did not outfit coordinate for our day of walking around a nearby city and visiting a local sculpture garden. I think we both just knew that it was going to be a hot day and one that would involve much walking, so a simple white top with a full skirt would look chic while staying cool and airy. While my skirt came like that from J.Crew, A. made her skirt by taking a blue sundress that she loved for its skirt shape and color, but not for its top portion, and cut that off to transform the item. She removed the top, tucked in the seam, and belted the whole thing. Genius!

Flats, originally uploaded by academichic.

All that walking also required some comfortable shoes. We both love our Target flats and I especially loved how the red of A.’s shoes really popped against the blue and white outfit. So crisp and striking. And as always, A2 played our gracious and talented photographer, making sure we got some decent blog documentation before we all melted in the heat. On days like that, only one thing helps – keeping those ice coffees aplenty and aflowin’…

S.

A & S together, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , , , ,

§ 16 Responses to 23 July 2010 – A & S together"

1. You both look great! And I love when blog collaborators pose together! I didn’t realize that you didn’t live in the same area, but I’m sure you had a great time catching up!

2. Sally says:

You two look lovely! Great takes on an airy summer ensemble.

3. MsAmanda says:

Fun!

That last picture was taken near the building I work in (the tall, juicer one).

4. Lauren says:

Great outfits, great post! I’m glad you 2 got to catch up.

I also didn’t realize that you don’t live in the same area — you’ve always talked about having met in grad school and have posted previous photos together, so I have envisioned you all living in the same town. Does A live near campus and do you commute into campus, S? (Or is it the other way around?)

5. admin says:

To those of you asking about our location – A, E, and I (S) met in grad school and are all three pursuing degrees at the same university. But while A. and E. also live near campus, I have moved out of state since finishing all of my requirements but my dissertation. One can write a dissertation off-campus (from afar) and I am doing that so that I can live with husband where he is stationed for his PhD work. As of this fall, I am starting a faculty position at my husband’s university while still completing my PhD. So we were all three in the same city when this blog began, but it’s seen us through quite the changes since its inception – E’s baby, two weddings, a move to Germany, and now my move to another state. Oh, and another change/surprise that is to be revealed soon :)

S.

6. EmilyKennedy says:

This is so great! Completely adorable!

7. Sara says:

I love both looks – very summery and cool. Transforming that dress into a skirt was genius. It really works as a skirt. And I love how the different shoes give each look a different vibe. Such a fun post!

8. Licia says:

I’m sort of new to visiting this blog so I’m glad you posted the link to A’s wedding. She looked so lovely. The shoes with the little flower detail… loved everything about her look. Congratulations!

I love the posts with both of you together. You look so happy and comfortable, not to mention quite chic! :)

10. thelady says:

Hey! I have those same Silver shoes-but in Navy–they are Seychelles from DSW..I wonder if Target ripped em off! They are way cute in silver.

11. Sarah says:

You two look great! Love the red flats!!

12. You both look lovely in your airy summery looks! S, I had missed that you had landed a position at T’s institution. Congrats!

13. Mae says:

You two look lovely! I am going to try to convert some of my dresses into skirts too…thanks for the idea!

14. maureen says:

Oh…you both look adorable, and so happy to spend time with each other again! TFS!

15. [...] a wonderful visit with S. and T., an elegant wedding, and a relaxing weekend, A2, Camp, and I had to make the 10 hour drive back to [...]

16. [...] I only wore the sundress twice: once for a dinner date and once for a Hawaiian-themed party. After purchasing a blue sundress to chop into a skirt, I was inspired to do the same with this garment and as a result, have gotten quite a bit more wear [...]