22 July 2010

July 22nd, 2010 § 20 comments

22 July 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Top: thrifted
  • Pants: Banana Republic
  • Shoes: Lauren by Ralph Lauren, via Macys

Do you ever have one of those “off” weeks? Not a bad week per se, but just one where you’re stymied in all the small stuff, your words don’t seem to be coming out right, you can’t seem to get on top of the laundry, and all the books you need are checked out of the library? I’ve just realized that when I get into one of these “real world” ruts, my style tends to follow as I gravitate towards tried and true silhouettes and combinations in my wardrobe.

I’m a huge proponent of dressing to make yourself feel powerful and put-together, and so on most days when I need a pick me up I’d be most likely to turn to my ubiquitous navy dress or floaty cream skirt. But today I thought I’d try taking the opposite approach. What if I wore something that’s not on my list of “go-to” items? What if I wore something that I kind of have to psyche myself up for a wee bit? What if I pushed myself past my style comfort zone in order to force myself to be assertive, to be positive, and to take ownership of a so-so week?

22 July 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Caylin Wedge, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, originally uploaded by academichic.

So, out came these light gray pants that I haven’t totally figured out what to do with, and a boldly colored top in a longer length, and tall shoes. And look! No tucking in and no belt. If that’s not taking away a safety net, I don’t know what is, right? And I have to admit, now I feel all super-hero-y and proud of myself for trying something a little different rather than depending on my standards, as flattering and valuable as they may be.

Do you see a correspondence between an uninspired week and uninspired style? What do you do to get yourself out of a style rut?

22 July 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , ,

§ 20 Responses to 22 July 2010"

1. EmilyKennedy says:

This outfit is really cute on you! At first I couldn’t see how it was out of your normal style range, but now that you describe it, I can see what you’re talking about. Well done!

2. Love. That. Top. Gorgeous color. I am covetous.

It’s true, when I am uninspired I tend to be so across the board. Cooking, dressing, exercising, etc. Hopefully, you jumpstarted yourself out of the rut today.

3. Leah Randall says:

I just love these shoes! You seem to look put together in whatever combination you put together, so don’t the mind funk get you down =) Have a great weekend!

4. Sally says:

You are radiant in purple, lady.

When I hit a style rut, I wallow for a little while … and then turn to separates and accessories. My ruts are almost always dress-related. When I force myself to think in chunks, I can usually shake loose the funk.

5. admin says:

@Sally – “think in chunks” might just be my new favorite phrase!

- e

6. spacegeek says:

I have been having that kind of week too!! I try to take deep breaths and slow down. Because usually my problems stem from trying to do too much at the same time, or moving too quickly and dropping things, etc.

I really like the outfit btw! A pair of orange earrings or an orange cuff bracelet would complete the look, if you have. Just a thought. :-)

7. Jen says:

Yeah!! Purple is my power color, always a go-to when I’m feeling a little out of sorts. In fact, I’m wearing it now, in the face of drizzly, gloomy July weather!

8. Courtney says:

I love how you described the “real-world rut”. It was spot on! I most definitely have the tendency to fall back on my comfortable outfits when I’m feeling down. Usually jeans and a lot of cardigans. Good for you, on breaking out of the rut!
    Loving The Reflection

9. Congrats on flipping the uninspired paradigm on its head! I love the shoes!

Right now I’m not so much uninspired as in a state of complete moving chaos. This will no doubt lead to outfits that are inspired by what’s not packed rather than ones inspired by creativity or performativity.

10. Dana says:

I love it! that color is so pretty and who can resist a nude shoe!
    ~Dana

11. Sara says:

I can’t stand weeks like that, but this is a really smart way to get out of it. I usually wear things that I love the most and try to style them differently or pair them with things they’ve never been paired with before. Something about that combination of comfort and newness really helps my mood.

I love this look – purple looks amazing on you – and I’m a huge fan of those shoes.

12. Sarah says:

I think sometimes it goes the other way, as well; when I look in the mirror and realize that my outfit was a miss, I sometimes don’t feel as confident about the other things I need to do with the rest of my day. Sometimes getting dressed and coming up with a really great outfit gives me the boost I need to sit home and write a paper!

13. Kristen says:

I really like your top.

14. maureen says:

Love the top/ the jewel tone, the length, and the embelishment on it. I have admired your stylish wedges in previous comments. Did you ever see the Seinfeld episode where George decides he will do the opposite of what he usually does in situations, and for once – things go his way. Your post reminded me of it. I hope this ensemble helped you feel more positive, and even if it didn’t no one who saw you would believe you are having a tough week!

15. jentine says:

True story… when I feel bleh (blah plus eh) I put some extra time into the make-up and think of something unusual to wear to boost my spirits.

16. Andrea says:

I think the risk paid off – you look gorgeous, svelte and STRONG in this combo!

17. Nadine says:

You look totally kick-arse – next week better watch out!

18. Melissa says:

During the summer I’ve spent most days in a work uniform that is neither stylish nor the right size, and on the days when I have an excuse to ‘dress up’ in the dresses and skirts I wear during the normal academic year, it’s an instant mood booster. I feel better about myself, my research, and my choices. Even on Fridays, when we’re allowed to wear jeans at work, just having a pair of pants that fits properly makes me feel better.

Clothes can make a big difference to mood! This is a great idea for how to jump start a bad day/week.

19. Ruth says:

You’re rocking the pants, which happen to be one of my go-to silhouettes these days (though a little less now that the weather is so hot). Love it!