7 July 2010 – Braid Wednesday

July 7th, 2010 § 13 comments

7 July 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Black shirt dress – H&M
  • Pendant – Anthropologie
  • Scarf as belt – my grandmother’s
  • Silver sandals – Target
  • Bike – Electra Hawaii
  • Helmet – Nutcase

Happy Braid Wednesday! It’s been a while since I’ve participated, but a simple outfit of a black shirt dress tied off with a scarf belt provides the perfect back drop for a more elaborate hairdo. Last time I posted a close up of this braid style, a reader asked how I did it. It’s pretty simple – I just twisted my hair into two Dutch braids, one on each side of my hair. I brought the braids and all of the unbraided hair together at the nape of my neck, divided it into three sections, and braided that into one long braid. I then took that braid and gathered it up into a loose knot at the nape of my neck. (I have no good pictures of this from the back because it’s surprisingly difficult to photograph the back of one’s own head, so maybe another time when I can employ a willing photographer…)

7 July 2010 – Braid Wednesday, originally uploaded by academichic.
Scarf belt, originally uploaded by academichic.

Riding my bike and wearing a helmet presents some hairdo challenges. I can no longer throw my hair up into a topknot (unless I’m willing to undo and redo it every time I remove my helmet, which I’m not). I also haven’t been wearing my hair down much because it’s so hot and humid. So differing braid styles have proven to be the best option. Even braids started at the crown of my head like these ones can snugly tuck into the helmet and look pretty unfazed when the helmet is removed. I think I will continue to experiment with helmet friendly hairstyle as the summer continues.

As for my shoes, they were eager to participate in Braid Wednesday as well…

Braid Wednesday , originally uploaded by academichic.

Will you be participating today? Check out the Braid Wednesday Group Pool for additional inspiration. Or, alternately, do you have any tips for helmet friendly ‘dos? Thanks! S.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 13 Responses to 7 July 2010 – Braid Wednesday"

1. Every time I think about cutting my hair instead of growing it out, I will refer to Braid Wednesday and this style. I miss long hair, especially when I see lovely ‘dos like yours!

2. G says:

:) I like wearing my hair up too- especially in summer. This looks wonderful!

3. I wore my hair braided yesterday in an attempt to beat the heat and control frizz. It’s going to be just as sweltering today, so back into the braids it goes, I think!

4. Nicola says:

If I could braid my hair I would! I love braids, but unfortunately I’m just not good at ‘hair stuff’.

5. rats, i wish i’d remembered it was braid wednesday! oh well, there’s always next wednesday.
    i love these shirt dresses on you–it reminds me to add “shirt dress” to my fall wishlist…

6. EmilyKennedy says:

Those are way cute shoes. I bet you’re pretty thrilled to have access to your full wardrobe of shoes now that you’re back.

7. admin says:

Tania – shirt dresses are the best! I love them even more than jersey dresses because of the bit of structure they have and they always seem to look good. Definitely add to your wish list!

EmilyKennedy – I feel like I just won the clothes lottery…I have so much stuff, it almost feels indecent. That’s how I feel after having access to all my clothes and shoes after my year abroad. I vowed that I wouldn’t shop for a long time because there is really no need to add anything seeing how I did with so much less for the past year and even that was fine. (Let’s see though for how long my resolve will last ;) )

S.

8. Nadine says:

Beautiful! Applause!

Hair-do shots: Hold the camera at arm’s length as you would for a self-portrait. Then turn your head and press the shutter. A tiny bit tricky, but it does work!

9. Bekah Mae says:

Those braided shoes make me so happy! love love love!

10. Terri says:

Thank you for the instructions, but I likely have another 6 months of growing out before I can possibly try it. :(

11. I love the use of your grandmother’s scarf as a belt with this. It really adds a lovely touch of interest to this black shirt dress.

My current solution to helmet hair is not the best: I just haven’t replaced my helmet that someone stole some time ago.

12. Kelly says:

Ugh, helmet hair. When I commute, I either keep my hair down or pull it into a lose, low ponytail below my helmet and take it out as soon as I arrive. I have to make sure that my hair is completely dry before I put on my helmet. The braids are a great idea, but unforuntately I don’t know how to braid nor do I have the patience to learn, haha! They do look great on you :)

13. fire tweed says:

Your braids are adorable and elegant!

To combat helmet-hair, I flip my head upside down and “plop” my curls into the helmet. That lets me keep some volume in my hair and just shake everything out when I take the helmet off.