Summer Date Night

July 6th, 2010 § 18 comments

Summer Date Night, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Earrings: Honolulu swap meet
  • Tank: Target
  • Skirt: Target
  • Sandals: Jeffrey Campbell via Rue La La

I’ve had family in town for the past week, so I have to play a bit of outfit catch-up over the next few days. Happily, this post can also double as an entry for the third part of the LGRAB summer games, “New Territory.” When my now-husband and I were dating, one of our favorite things to do together was to explore the mountain on which our undergrad institution was perched. We hiked powerline trails, we found hidden waterfalls, and we discovered new bluffs and overlooks.

In our current city, bike riding has opened up a new way to explore. So for our date night last week, we dressed up, hopped on our bikes, and rode 8.5 miles through the city to a little microbrewery. While my husband regularly bikes 7 or so miles to work, I have hitherto capped out around 5 miles and my normal commute to campus is only about a mile and a half one way. So, as this category of the Let’s Go Ride a Bike Summer Games implies, this was definitely new territory for me. Although navigating through a not-always-bike-friendly city can be a little nerve-wracking at times, I was delighted to explore some different neighborhoods and take my time ogling gorgeous homes that we always drive by too quickly.

Dressing “cute” or at least in non-workout clothes when biking a mile and a half to campus is not that big a deal. The ride is short, I know exactly where I’m going, and I can run quickly into the very, very air conditioned building and into the restroom to freshen up if need be. Riding 8 miles for a date in your date clothes seemed a little daunting if I thought about it too hard…so I just stopped overanalyzing and went with an outfit that had plenty of give and breath-ability.

Cotton tank? Check. Lightweight skirt that still has some structure? Check. Sandals that secure onto my feet? Check. Other than some skirt flapping — that I fixed with the handy clothespin I always keep on my bike basket — it worked quite well and I cooled off quickly once we arrived at our destination.

Summer Date Night, originally uploaded by academichic.

On the way home that evening, we followed a bike path that wended its way through a tall grass field in the corner of a park. Fireflies were out in full force, making the field glitter all around us. It was beautiful, and it was something I would not have seen on our date had we taken a car. I felt very empowered and accomplished once we returned home — proud of myself for having ridden so far through unfamiliar territory and for keeping up with my husband — and delighted that I’m finding more ways that this mode of transportation can fit seamlessly into my life and my wardrobe.

Tagged

§ 18 Responses to Summer Date Night"

1. EmilyKennedy says:

This is a really great outfit. Even though it’s two bright main colors, they aren’t overpowering. Lovely!

2. Liz Rosas says:

Gorgeous outfit and background!
    Your date sounds so perfect. Makes me wish I could ride a bike, unfortunately we’re in icy suburbs with lots of hills…someday!

3. Natalie says:

I love this outfit, and I may copy it soon :D

4. Traci says:

Perfect outfit for a bike ride – love those colors together also! I’m not sure I’d have reached the destination all calm and cool if it was 8 miles away! My husband and I just rode about 5 miles to have lunch yesterday and with all the hills, I was a bit hot upon arrival :) I can ride forever if it’s flat, but a few hills seem to do me in! Unfortunately avoiding hills in our area is basically impossible, so I suppose I’m just going to have to increase my endurance for them!

5. jesse.anne.o says:

This is a great post. I tried to learn how to ride again this weekend and ended up with bike shorts, a skirt and tank top.

Where, exactly, does the clothespin go?!

6. Lauren says:

I love this outfit! The color combination is so great, and I looooveee those sandals!

7. Bekah Mae says:

That skirt is fantastic. I love how you pull colors together.

8. charlotte says:

Traci,
    I can promise you that the more hills you ride the less you seem to notice them. In other words, it just keeps getting easier!

9. Licia says:

I love this outfit. If I was wearing it, I would have probably put on more accessories. But as I look at it, I realize that it looks great because the accessories are simple and they let the details in the shoes and clothes speak for themselves.

10. Martha says:

I miss biking! As an undergrad doing a year in Oxford and then later as a grad student in Austin, I biked everywhere…in all kinds of clothing. Sometimes I wish I lived someplace where I could commute on a bike – but 35 miles is too far! (And it is winter 8 months a year here…)

11. First photo is nicely done. Love the colors and composition :)

12. Emily says:

Great outfit! (And it complements the background so nicely!) I wish I trusted myself enough to bike around my town, but since I’m prone to clumsiness and have an uncanny knack for involuntarily tuning out the world around me, I think such an attempt might prove disastrous.

13. what a fabulous date night outfit! that’s a long ride for a date, but sounds perfect for a summer night.

14. Dottie says:

Beautiful! A lightweight skirt with some structure is the best for bicycling. And keeping a clothespin in your basket is a smart idea – I should start doing that. I’m so happy to hear that your new territory exploring went well :)

15. kristen says:

This outfit and photos are stunning! Beautiful! :)

16. Thanks. Fortunately during this time I’ve my ex-wife, existing gf (sensitive subject lol) and my two sons right here with me. It really is heading slower than i hoped and than it must be. I think im dragging my ft however the difficulty sleeping is just at times as well challenging. Final evening i had 6 plus a fifty percent. So long as what i’ve each day is significantly less, even when it takes an
    additional few days i think i’m heading in the right direction. I just can by no means go backwards and hope on a day i in no way stall and repeat the evening ahead of. I just need to hold the momentum, much less and much less. The Ativan continues to be a existence saver i’m
    sure. The doctor prescribed me to consider three mg a day but there’s NO WAY i might have accomplished that. I took 1/4 the initial working day after i was at 12 beers and received a little sick. Now the alcoholic beverages is much less needless to say i get a little a lot more but like i said i didn’t need
    to entirely substitute and remain tousled on pills so i get about 1 complete per day broken into 3 or 4 different instances in the course of the day and have managed to get to six.
    5 beers. I feel although I’ll have no decision within the approaching days to take a lot more ativan simply to sleep, last evening was a little tough. Nonetheless fearing the working day im off Both and asking yourself how my body will respond. Time will tell. I large distinction i believe can also be the truth i have often had a poor diet program of quickly food, never ate breakfast and hardly ever lunch. Now i make certain i eat three foods per day and have already been taking fish oil, a daily vitamin, etc,, Obtaining vitamins back into my method I think has helped a terrific deal at the same time and also have already been excersizing a min of 20 mins each day.. Just looking to do what I’m able to think about to assist.

Also visit my weblog; can premature ejaculation cause pregnancy

17. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post.
    Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

my web page; easy paycheck formula bonus