28 June 2010

June 29th, 2010 § 22 comments

28 June 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Tank: Target
  • Belt: Gap Outlet
  • Skirt: Ruche.com, lengthened by me
  • Sandals: Jeffrey Campbell, gift from MIL via Rue La La

I’m sure it comes as little surprise to any of you that I am in love with light gray as my summer neutral of choice. Pairing light gray with a more acid yellow and white stripes, I’m all passing summer storms and rippling heat rolled into one. Or, at least, that’s how I felt.

When I wore this skirt earlier, I had some concerns over the length-to-fullness ratio. It seemed a bit too short to be so full, resulting in a silhouette that bordered on feeling too “young” for me and was absolutely useless in the wind. Since I live in the Midwest and ride a bicycle, the latter became kind of a big deal.

So, during my week of “vacation” when I refashioned that dress into a skirt, I also set about lengthening this skirt to a more flattering length. Using extra fabric from my self-made tank dress, I took advantage of the gray skirt’s stitched edge detail and used those existing lines of stitching to hide my own seam, attaching a faux layer of floral fabric. The result fits the skirt’s somewhat romantic aesthetic better than attaching a clean band to the very bottom edge. (Plus, since I seem to be of the opinion that yellow is a foundational slice of the color wheel, I’m not too worried about limiting my color combination options.)

Lengthened Skirt, originally uploaded by academichic.

Finally, three cheers for my new sandals, found on super sale at Rue La La and graciously gifted by my always-tasteful mother-in-law. I predict that you’ll be seeing a lot of these cut-out mini-wedges in the weeks to come!

Jeffrey Campbell Sandals, originally uploaded by academichic.

28 June 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged ,

§ 22 Responses to 28 June 2010"

1. EmilyKennedy says:

I love how you lengthened that. I never would have guessed that you added the border. It looks like it was made that way.

2. Moni says:

I love your sandals and your skirt. You’re so creative!

3. I love the added border on the skirt, and those wedges are fabulous!

4. Starling says:

That is beautiful. I love the border on the skirt, and yellow and gray is one of my favorite color combinations :)

5. Diana says:

I LOVE those shoes! The yellow border on the gray skirt is fantastic too. I really should try adding length (and weight) to a couple of skirts I own that are a bit too prone to wardrobe malfunctions.

6. Laila says:

I have a question that is possibly personal, but here goes.

So … when wearing a tank, do you use a strapless bra? Or forgo bras altogether?

7. I love what you did with that skirt. And the shoes are awesome, too! Love your style :)

This is a great idea for lengthening a skirt! I tend to layer a longer skirt under my shorter ones when I want to wear them for work, so that I can still wear them short if I want to, but all that volume isn’t great in the heat.

9. Tiffany says:

love those brown sandals!

XOXO,

10. GG says:

What a timely post this is (for me, anyway)!

Believe me when I say that there’s a good reason I NEVER wear mini-skirts. However, despite my better judgement I thrifted a mini skirt a few days ago – it was too pretty to pass up and looked a lot more expensive than £3.00. There was at least 2″ seam allowance, which I reduced to give me that bit of extra length, but the skirt is still much shorter than I prefer. Well, now I know what to do with it! Thanks for the idea!

11. Melissa says:

Nicey Jane! Excellent. I <3 Heather Bailey's fabric lines. I'm going to attempt a simillar sort of operation on a bridesmaid dress soon. Sadly it will not include any floral prints but hopefully it will turn out as well as your sewing efforts have!

12. Dorian says:

I LOVE it! and am so jealous of your skills.

13. Grace says:

yay for grellow! And pattern mixing. Such a fun summer outfit. I love that you added the border to make the skirt more functional for you. :)

14. indigorchid says:

Great solution! I recently did the same thing – lengthened a skirt (and added visual interest!) with a band at the bottom. I think this look is so sucessful that I’m going through the rest of my wardrobe with new eyes as to what can be altered!

Thanks for the ongoing inspiration!

15. Sara says:

You always bring a good eye to alterations that I wouldn’t even think about! Thanks for sharing :)

16. Mandy Ford says:

Love what you did with the skirt, and those shoes are adorable!

Mandy @ This Girl’s Life
    mandyford.blogspot.com
    designbrew.blogspot.com

17. Oh, I love what you did there to the skirt! Doesn’t look homemade at all. It’s a nice pop, and makes it a much better length.

18. Terri says:

what wonderful sandals.

19. Elizabeth says:

I agree with previous comments that the skirt looks like it came that way. The trim adds so much interest, love it!

20. [...] love how e. of academichic lengthened this skirt! Time for me to get creative when the hemlines say no to my 5’10″ [...]

21. [...] touch reminds me of E’s fantastic DIY grey skirt to which she added a similar bottom edge of a bright yellow fabric. A downside of this skirt is how [...]

22. [...] Lengthening a skirt (explanation included) [...]