21 June 2010

June 22nd, 2010 § 13 comments

21 June 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tank: Target
Belt: vintage, my mom’s
Skirt: Banana Republic Factory
Patterned wedges: Kenneth Cole Reaction, via DSW

I just recently realized that I’ve worn this colorblock skirt, which falls somewhere between pale violet and gray (JCrew might call it “dove” or something else unhelpful), in many a different color combination. As a pair of grays with purple undertones, it has functioned beautifully as a pseudo-neutral that adds richness to otherwise simple color palettes. Let’s review, shall we?

When paired with a mustard yellow tank, the almost-lavender skirt creates a complementary color scheme that is soft rather than jarring.

The first time I blogged this skirt, I wore it with a brown sweater. Go neutrals (and pseudo-neutrals).

30 January 2009 – 2, originally uploaded by academichic.

Then, a baby bump popped and this skirt had to be retired for a season. When I brought it out again post-baby, I used it to create a kind of extended analogous color palette of purple, blue, and green…

21 September 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

…and a true analogous combination of navy and purple. Though, if you think of navy and this purpley-gray as neutrals, this could also be an entirely neutral outfit with a pop of color in the shoe. Tricky.

4 April 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

I’ve also used the skirt in a monochrome purple look (and playing with a faux-drop waist). It’s like a dress fake-out. The subdued tones helpfully keep me from looking like a muppet, which is frequently my fear with monochromatic outfits.

4 May 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

I’m also particularly fond of this two-thirds combination (purple and orange) with a navy (neutral) jacket. After depending for so long on neutrals and cool tones to match this skirt, the warmer coral created a whole different affect that I really liked and that inspired today’s warm+cool combination of mustard and violet.

23 March 2010 – Versatility Thy Name is My Navy Blazer, originally uploaded by academichic.

Next up, I’m thinking that I need to try this skirt out with wine or magenta up top, or maybe create a full triad with a green top and orange shoes. Any other suggestions? Maybe a split complementary?

21 June 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , ,

§ 13 Responses to 21 June 2010"

1. Licia says:

Yet another reminder how the many ways a neutral article of clothing can make a 1000 beautiful outfits. I woul say my favorite look was the winter look with the brown sweater and boots.

2. Liz Rosas says:

Wow, you’ve really showed off the versatility! Every outfit looks different!

3. migotka says:

What a great idea to do a revision of all these different looks. I love all of them, but probably my favourite is the one with jumper and brown boots (I agree with Licia on that) and I like the orange pumps, they add so much color. Also, the drss fake-out does look like a dress, well done! anyhow, I really like what you have done with this skirt. It shows how you can use one simple item in various ways and each time create a unique look.

4. EmilyKennedy says:

I so love this warm yellow color. You look gorgeous.

5. Dottie says:

Wow, it’s amazing how different (and great) that skirt looks with different outfits! That’s really incredible. Of course, you do such a great job with putting everything together.

LOL at the “dove” comment.

6. Sally says:

A versatile piece indeed!

7. I’m surprised that I like the yellow and gray best, but I do. Summer wins.

8. Vanessa says:

All of these looks were awesome, and as I looked through I really couldn’t choose a favorite. What a versatile skirt!

9. Zeynep says:

That’s a beautiful skirt, and I love what you’ve done with it! The purple and coral outfits are my favorites. Very well done.

10. Alyssa says:

Wow what a versatile skirt! I like these kinds of ‘remix’ posts, I really do. Proves that you don’t need much to look awesome and have many different looks.

11. Andréa S says:

Gostaria de ver uma combinação que incluísse vermelho… e roxo, talvez… Lindo!!! Minha preferida é com a blusa coral!

12. All chic looks! That’s what I love about gray, actually. It’s my fave neutral :)

13. [...] to look back and see how I’ve been able to wear and re-wear a single item. So, much as I reviewed my remixes of my color block skirt, I’m gushing over the ways that I’ve been able to remix this navy [...]