1 June 2010

June 1st, 2010 § 21 comments

1 June 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Green Tank Dress – Gap Outlet
  • Navy Tank – Gap
  • Teal Belt – Old Navy
  • Earrings – F21
  • Wedges – Kenneth Cole Reaction, via DSW
  • Wooden Bangle – gift from S.

I found this kelly green tank dress at Gap Outlet when shopping with E. It’s similar in style to E’s. homemade one, but the tank is the same color as the solid colored skirt part, which is cotton and lined.  The tank has an unfortunately placed pocket that I just couldn’t get over, yet also just couldn’t pass this one up, so decided I would take it home and make it work. I immediately arrived home pulled it out of the bag and created five possible outfits from it and then text-ed E. to share my success. You will no doubt be seeing this dress remixed several times this summer – I will be sure to post a picture of the dress as it came next time.

I was drawn to the dress primarily because of it’s color.  I love almost all shades of green but find this kelly green (with a bit of blue undertone) to be one of the more flattering on me.  I made a tight analogous pairing between the skirt and teal belt and another, more distant, analogous pairing with the belt and tank.

analogous colors, originally uploaded by academichic.

I folded the bottom of the ruffly navy tank under so that it ended around where the original tank portion of the dress ends and then belted it into place. I like that it still looks like a tank dress, rather than a skirt and top.

I wore this ensemble to attend a few graduation parties over the weekend.  The rest of the weekend I mostly spent in either running clothes or gardening/construction clothes. Here is a little sneak peak of my latest summer construction and garden project.  It’s become a bit of an obsession, so I will save the details for a post of it’s own – check back later this week!

Summer Project Sneak Peak, originally uploaded by academichic.
1 June 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 21 Responses to 1 June 2010"

1. Vanessa says:

I love your skirt!

2. Jane W. says:

That is a fabulous color combination! Love it. Also very impressed with your gardening prowess.

3. Erika says:

Cute outfit. I particularly like the earrings with everything else.

And are those materials for building raised beds?

4. EmilyKennedy says:

The length of the dress is really great on you. I’m glad you were able to so quickly design additional outfits around it. Can’t wait to see!

This color combination is just fabulous on you, and I love the tank-dress silhouette!

6. Rebecca says:

Very cute. I have the same tank, so now I want to find some green to wear with it.

7. Sally says:

Marvelous, A! The colors, the proportions, everything. You look dynamite.

8. this is such a great look on you!

9. Licia says:

Very nice. I like the unexpected color combination.

10. Gorgeous color combo!

11. Diana says:

I love how you remixed this dress to make it work – it’s gorgeous!

12. Patti says:

what a great idea, covering the top with another tank! i bought that same dress today in black, and was happily surprised when i saw it on your blog!

i agree about the unfortunate pocket placement, but think the lined skirt is worth putting up with the pocket. looking forward to seeing remixes with this dress in the future.

very impressed how you mixed the kelly green and eggplant colors without looking at ALL like Barney, i don’t know of anyone else who could pull that off!

13. Kim C. says:

I love this color combo and think the entire ensemble is very flattering. However, I’m curious… didn’t the tank come untucked through out the day? It seems like between standing up and sitting down and getting in and out of the car, things would shift around and I know I’d constantly be checking to make sure everything was in it’s place. What’s the secret!?!

14. Rebecca says:

Holy crapola- check out your peepers in this picture! I don’t think I’ve ever seen your eyes looking so … supernaturally bright. Brava.

15. Bekah Mae says:

Loving this color combo! I’m a huge fan of super saturated colors…want to steal this outfit for sure!

16. TylerAnne says:

You look great! Your ruffle tank looks more purple than navy on my screen. In the past, I have solved the problem of ugly pockets or patches with a seam ripper–if the pockets are on the outside of the garment, they can be easily removed.

17. R says:

I LOVE this. The color mix is perfect and it works so well for you! What about nude heels the next time?

18. I am in love with the colors of this outfit! So fun.

19. [...] post about this summer’s weekend warrior obsession.  Some of you guessed correctly after my clue from earlier this week – I’m building a raised vegetable garden. Veggies, originally uploaded by [...]

20. [...] wanted to remind you of my J-Crew inspired flower belt and my green dress worn with a tank over it – still two of my all time favorite outfits. I wanted to show off the many ways I wore my [...]