28 May 2010

May 28th, 2010 § 9 comments

28 May 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Eyelet top – thrifted, sleeves altered by me
    Gray tank – Hanes
    Jeans – Old Navy Flirt jean
    Flats – Palladium
    Bracelet – Chinatown, San Fran
    “L” Pendant – Anthropologie
    Heart pendant – gift from husband

As A. already mentioned, we’ve all been pretty busy lately. I’ve been out of commission since my husband arrived in Europe and we’ve been spending time traveling, leading us to Romania, where we are now. I did take some outfit (and cycling) pictures along the way, which I will start posting whenever I have some down time.

These pictures were snapped on our last day in Munich, while we were still pup-sitting and enjoying the city on a rare sun filled day. We spent the day walking around a ton (again) and so I naturally wore comfortable flats (again) with jeans and a loose eyelet top.

Eyelet detail, originally uploaded by academichic.
Shoes, originally uploaded by academichic.

You may remember this top from when I first wore it back in January and asked for your opinion regarding the sleeves. I had just thrifted it and wasn’t too sure about the somewhat mariachi-like volume of the eyelet sleeves and asked whether I should leave them or cleave them. The votes came in pretty divided but I decided that the most important thing about style is to feel good and confident in one’s skin (and one’s clothes, by extension) and since I just wasn’t feeling the sleeves as they were, they had to be altered…

The beauty of thrifted items – I generally don’t spend too much money on them and so I’m more willing to take risks altering things that don’t seem quite right. For 4 Euros, I was willing to gamble the outcome of my chop job. I simply cut the bottom portion of the sleeves off, cutting along seam that was hidden beneath a layer of eyelet draping over it from the top section. Overall, the new version isn’t as dramatic and eye-catching as the original, but it’s much more me and more likely to be worn now. I can see this eyelet top being a reoccurring summer staple as the weather warms up and I’m looking for low maintenance but cute summer tops to pair with skirts or jeans. S.

28 May 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged

§ 9 Responses to 28 May 2010"

1. Grace says:

I love the blouse now! I didn’t like the old sleeves at all, but it’s great with the shorter version. I also really like your flats.

2. Lisa says:

I really like the sleeves now. It give the top a much more summery vibe. I think you made the right choice!

3. Leila says:

I love those flats!

4. That is one awe chop job. :) You look so pretty in these photos.

5. erin says:

love this look! so simple and summery.

i love your palladium flats. i’m journeying to Munich and Salzburg this summer and looking for something similar–cool and comfy, but still feminine. any suggestions?

6. admin says:

Thanks, everyone!

Erin – I love these Palladium flats and I am also in love with Camper shoes these days (Love their designs, but they are on the pricier end). I also have found Joseph Seibel flats to be very comfortable yet stylish, same as Clarks, and of course, Dansko. (Although Danskos are not so cute and feminine, but more of a chunky, sturdy shoe that has that rough clog aesthetic).

I would look into any of those and check sites like solestruck.com or 6pm.com for good deals. Also, check out our “Best Flatware” category on the blog here for all our posts featuring flats. Good luck and have a great trip, you’re going to love both places!!

S

I love this simple, cute outfit. You look so sophisticated!

8. Amy says:

9. [...] thrift finds were bought for their low price tag yet high potential; an eyelet top got a sleeve make-over, a $2.50 dress found in Romania got a good few inches chopped off and is now ready for wear, and [...]