24 May 2010

May 24th, 2010 § 18 comments

24 May 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Dress – Banana Republic Outlet
  • Teal Tank – Banana Republic Outlet
  • Sandals – Charlotte Russe
  • Earrings – Gift from E.

This entire outfit probably cost me less than $30 – mostly thanks to Banana Republic Outlet.  E., baby e., and I hit the outlets last week during a sale and armed with extra coupons.  We both made out with some great finds.  I picked up several jersey dresses as I walked through BR but once I made it to the dressing room, most where either too tight, too short, or too shapeless. I’m not convinced this is the most flattering dress on me but it sure is comfortable!  And, for about 9$ I figured I was willing to play around with it.  I love the color – a bit outside my usual color comfort zone – and think it will allow for some fun color combinations.  Today I added teal but am thinking the berry might work well with dark purple or grey, and maybe even maroon for a very close analogous pairing.

Berry and Teal, originally uploaded by academichic.

I’m also thinking a nice wide belt could change the shape up a bit and probably make it a more flattering fit.  Or, maybe I’ll try layering it under a full skirt, making it into a wrap top.  For 9$ I think it was a pretty good buy with quite a bit of potential.  Any other suggestions for color combinations or silhouette alterations?

24 May 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 18 Responses to 24 May 2010"

1. Andie says:

brown, yellow, GREEN would look awesome. I’ll keep brainstorming for you! :)

2. Amy says:

I love this color as well. I have a cardigan and a dress in this color and also wear it with: teal, gray, navy blue, yellow, black, white, and cream. You can do more layering with the cami as you have it, tights in the winter, and a cardigan on top, or a button down shirt beneath.

3. Bridget says:

What does the back look like? Sometimes wrap dresses end up looking better on me reversed…just a thought!

I also like the combo of green perhaps with a black/white houndstooth…brown would be okay, too!

4. Marci says:

I think the dress is flattering the way it is!

5. Love the color on you – I think a wide belt would look great!

6. Frances Joy says:

I have no suggestions for you, but your hair looks fantastic!

7. Rachel says:

If it were me, I’d try to lower the waistline of the silhouette by adding a wide belt or a sash or scarf. I love that color, I’d probably pair it with navy blue or dark, dark purple.

8. Grace says:

I actually really like both the shape and the color. I think it would look good with a dove gray print/pattern.

9. Haley says:

I like the idea of the dress with a wide dark brown woven belt. If you can handle an extra layer, I also think it would look great with a longish lightweight cardigan with the sleeves scrunched up or a short-sleeved or sleeveless version, and then belted over the cardi. Color-wise, my top picks would probably be cream, dove or charcoal gray, or a deep plum.

10. Jane W. says:

I think the silhouette looks great on you–perhaps it’s just outside of your comfort zone, so it feels strange. I also love the color combo, and the curly hair!

11. Sally says:

I agree that this is a dynamite silhouette on you, lady. And I’d pair that bright pink with orange, navy, or olive. Or all of those!

12. I think it’s actually a great silhouette on you. I’d pair it with a springy green, orange, or yellow, or any of the neutrals.

13. EmilyKennedy says:

Oooh yeah! That is a really pretty color! What a find!

14. Ris says:

That is a beautiful dress and I think it looks fabulous on you. It hits at the perfect length and draws attention to your nicely-shaped lower legs. I say don’t mess with it at all!

15. Kasmira says:

The dress is a great color and a great color on you! You might like it layered over another dress or skirt to give it some structure below.

16. Chelsea S. says:

I like how your brain works! Can’t wait to see remixes of this beauty.

Also, am LOVING the curls. Gorgeous!

17. N says:

I love your hair curly! Very pretty.

18. Less than $30? That’s awesome. Loving the color of that dress.