19 May 2010 – Introducing…

May 19th, 2010 § 24 comments

19 May 2010 – Introducing, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Necklace: Honolulu swap meet
  • Tank: Target
  • Belt: Forever 21
  • Skirt: self-made
  • Patent sandals: Old Navy
  • Helmet: Nutcase

I’d like to introduce…my bike. Over the past year, my husband N. has become a 4-season bike commuter and increasingly committed to biking for all possible local errands. And, bless his heart, he spent six months tracking down the perfect bike for me and a trailer for baby e. to tag along in.

We finally found a winner in this Takara 6-speed, purchased used from a local non-profit bike organization. Turns out I’m a sucker for bikes with tall, elegant head-tube-stem-bars areas. It’s kind of the sterno-clavicular area of bikes, I suppose.

19 May 2010 – Introducing, originally uploaded by academichic.

We’ve been a full-fledged biking family for a couple of months now that the weather has turned agreeable: N. on his gorgeous Raleigh pulling baby e. in his Burley trailer while I follow behind. We’ve biked to dinner, to church, to the grocery store, to a department party, and, as of today, to pick up our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) box o’ goodies.

Let’s be frank. I’m far from an accomplished biker. I still have trouble finding my optimal gear, I’m not terribly fast, and I get exceedingly nervous when wending my way down curvy handicap ramps on campus. But biking has afforded me a new means of comingling my roles as wife, mother, and graduate student. Indeed, perhaps the thing I appreciate most about biking as a family is how it integrates so many aspects of our life together. To be able to get some exercise, spend time with N. and baby e., and check an errand off of my to-do list is a triple-win situation.

This is my first entry in the Let’s Go Ride a Bike Summer Games in the “Social Cycling” category. I’m so excited to play along, and I hope that many of you all will be participating as well!

Tagged , , , ,

§ 24 Responses to 19 May 2010 – Introducing…"

1. Kate says:

Oh your bike is GORGEOUS!

If you don’t mind me asking – I think you’re in [redacted] right? So am I. I’m very new to the biking world, and may be in the market for a new bike soon – mind if I ask the name of that organization?

2. ACD says:

Takara! My bike seems to be the mixte version of yours. http://tiny.cc/td6vt

I’ve seen a lot of other Takaras, but not one like this! Mine doesn’t have fenders. And do I see a chainguard on yours as well? Swoon!

3. EJP says:

Do you ride in your skirt/dress?
    I ride bike to class, and I would like to start dressing up nicer, but I don’t know about riding in a skirt.

4. miss sarah says:

Glad to see/hear that you’ve joined the cycle sisterhood! Now I don’t have to be the only Asian with a 1(ish) year old baby blogging about getting around and wearing dresses.

Just wait until you get on board with this cargo bike business. I’m thinking of getting a bobike for Dexter. The trailer is very functional. It’s just so ugly.

Sorry for the scattered comment. I’m procrastinating on my thesis stuff.

Happy riding!

S*

5. Barbara says:

So fun! I love your bike, but my favourite picture is that of your baby in his trailer. I wish he had better weather here in Poland, so I could ride my bike more often, but for now it is not possible.

6. Sally says:

Welcome to the club, doll! You’ll get addicted fast. Biking is my absolute favorite way to get around.

7. charlotte says:

Hurray!!! This is excellent news. Please don’t forget that in addition to all those wonderful benefits, riding a bike is also FUN! I feel like an 8 year old getting away with something while I’m riding my bike to work. Today I brought a king size down comforter and duvet in to be shipped, it managed to make it to work on my front rack. People did double-takes but it was much easier than carrying it on a subway!
    Your bike is beautiful and I hope you have a lifetime of happy miles together.

8. angie~* says:

“Plus, I love the sound of baby e. “singing” from his trailer as he vibrates down the road.”- u’re so cute!

9. k says:

I have both bike envy and skirt envy. Ride on!

10. Alysa says:

I love the way you wrote about your win-win-win with biking! I’m way too nervous to bike in the city (especially with a little one) but I think it’s fantastic. I’m looking forward to daily walks along the Chicago waterfront with baby, pooch, and hubby this summer.

11. RB says:

Your bike’s a beauty! I really see the win-win-win angle too. As a fellow graduate student (albeit childless) I see the awesomeness of combining exercise, errands, commuting and spending time with my partner.

12. GingerR says:

Nice helmet!

I find a straight jeans skirt pretty easy to bike in. Big full ones can get caught in the spokes.

13. B says:

Wait – so am I reading this right: it IS possible to ride in a longer, narrow skirt? I’m moving to Amsterdam this summer and have been dreading the move to a wardrobe that’s almost exclusively pants.

14. M.E.J. says:

Congratulations, E.! Bike commuting has so many advantages, you’ll love it more and more with every passing day (and you’ll get more confident, don’t worry).
    Your bike is beautiful, and the little one couldn’t look cuter in his trailer.
    Thumbs up for family biking!!!

15. sabrina says:

Love your bike! I’ve biked much less since moving from Minneapolis to NY, but I still think it’s the best way to get around in warmer weather. Love Baby E in his trailer.

16. Kelly says:

Beautiful bike, and you and your baby look so cute with it! I love that it’s a “lady’s” bike, so you can ride in skirts! I have a lovely lady’s cruiser that I usually ride to school that reminds me some of your bike. It’s so fun and freeing to bike in skirts!

Also, thanks for posting about the LGRAB challenge! I plan to participate in this to further my love of biking!

17. admin says:

Thanks, everyone!

@miss sarah – I feel you about the trailer’s lack of aesthetics. I’m not confident enough yet to pull baby e. in the trailer anyway, but I can definitely see myself wanting a cargo bike if this falling-in-love-with-biking proceeds apace.

Re: biking in skirts – Good gravy, I love biking in skirts. I have used a clothespin to clip together my really full skirts (like my brown one from BR Factory) but this denim a-line skirt is a breeze to bike in, as are quite a few of my dresses. There are lots of great posts on velocouture blogs about biking while dressed up, but if you’re self-conscious I think leggings or bike shorts under a skirt would keep you flashing-free.

- E

18. Katie says:

Love your bike. And yay for biking in skirts! I remember all the funny looks I used to get when I was doing back in my grad school days a few years ago. Now I see chic bike commuters all the time. Love it!

19. spacegeek says:

Okay I’m going to go all parental on you.. please tell me you have a helmet for baby e. too. And a flag… my husband is an ER doc, and he’s seen some really tragic things he’s told me about regarding kids in trailers. Safety first! :-)

20. Fiona says:

“the sterno-clavicular area of bikes”
    I really liked this musing :-)

21. jenn says:

spacegeek took the words out of my mouth! Is he over a year old now? I always was told that you shouldn’t bike with a kid less than a year old – helmets are too heavy for them, the road vibrations are too much for their skeletal systems, etc.

22. Courtney says:

Awesome bike and great outfit! I’m glad I’m not the only one stoked about the multi-tasking simplicity of biking. When I bike to work, I’m getting in my outdoors time, my commute, and my exercise all in one. The simple-life aspect of it is incredibly peaceful and rewarding to me. Enjoy!

23. I am so jealous. I can’t ride :( Don’t know how.

24. [...] read about my other LGRAB Summer Games participation posts here, while E.’s entry is to be found here.) Prague Bike Tour, originally uploaded by [...]