11 May 2010 – Hair Matters

May 10th, 2010 § 14 comments

11 May 2010 , originally uploaded by academichic.

• Pink and white striped top – J.Crew
  • Gray tee (underneath) – HRC
  • Rolled skinnies – S.Oliver
  • Flats – Palladium
  • Trench – vintage, was my grandmother’s
  • Scarf – courtesy of Echo
  • Pendant – Anthropologie
  • Bag – Etienne Aigner hand-me-down

One of my best features is my hair. It has taken twenty-seven long years for me to say that: I love my hair. Growing up, it was more often a frizzy and unruly mess that I would pull back into a tight ponytail for the lack of any other styling expertise. Not knowing how to style curly and frizz prone hair made me resent my natural curls and wish for the easy straight and luxurious locks of my school mates. Even for most of my adult life, I spent hours under a hot blow dryer, brushing and bullying my hair into submission.

Over the course of the last year, I have come to embrace my hair in all its curly and unruly glory and this shift in attitude has worked wonders. Now that I let it be and have researched a bit the stylings and hair care needs of curly hair, it looks healthier and better than it ever has before. I think my hair story in an example par excellence of how working with what you’ve got, rather than against it, proves so much more fruitful and effective.

11 May 2010 , originally uploaded by academichic.

For some tips and suggestions on caring for curly hair, check out these following resources:

Care to share any curly hair tips of your own? Please leave them in the comments below!

As for a side note on the outfit – I have friends in town and I’ve been spending the last few days doing much walking around the city, enjoying lots of little wonderful coffee breaks (or beer breaks in Munich’s beer gardens), and being a tourist here myself. This requires above all comfortable shoes. Because it’s been rainy, I added my trench coat, I rolled my skinnies to keep the cuffs from getting wet, and threw a mini umbrella in my purse. And presto, I’m good to go. And speaking of which, I better get going right now… S.

I , originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged

§ 14 Responses to 11 May 2010 – Hair Matters"

1. Joanna says:

Yay for loving the curls! I’ve got super curly hair and chopped off 7 inches this year after 10 years wearing it long. I love mine, but it took aaages to get there! Especially after seeing so many styles and tips in magazines featuring models with straight hair curled by a curling iron – so frustrating!

I’m a mousse girl, and pinning up the front while it dries is my version of “plopping”. My best tip: never buy into expensive product hype, they never ever work like they say. I’ve spent more money on new products to find nothing works better than plain mousse for me.

2. Sara says:

I adore your curls and I’m so glad you are embracing them. Your hair looks incredibly healthy.

And I love this look – it’s very pulled together and “I’m up for an adventure.” Which is the best sort of combination for a long full day with friends, I think!

3. Shay says:

My story is actually very similar to yours. I hated my hair for so many years, because I didn’t know what to do with it. Then, a couple years back, I actually did research into curly hair and now I too love my curls. Moving to a very windy place also helped with that, because no hairstyle stays perfect here.

Curl power!

4. Sally says:

I can SO relate. I fought and hated my curly, unruly hair for most of my youth and only now feel I am truly embracing it. I’ve GOT to look into those curly resources once of these days … your hair just keeps looking more and more gorgeous!

5. maryeb says:

Thanks so much for the curly hair tips and links.
    I’ve had a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with my hair my whole life. It seems that nothing works consistently to tame the beast. I’m looking forward to trying some new ideas.

6. EmilyKennedy says:

Your hair is really lovely. A girl in my bellydance class last night had hair like that and when we did shoulder thrust followed by head toss (this sounds weird if you don’t bellydance), her hair had the coolest movement. Everyone was ooohing and ahhhing.

7. D says:

Your hair looks awesome, and kudos for learning to embrace the curl. The only thing I will add is, weather plays a very important role in how curly hair looks! I live in Florida, and submitting my hair to a blow dryer in the humid summer is pointless, so I leave it curly. But in the winter, the dry air kills the curl, so I straighten.

8. Marie says:

I love it! It took me about 20 years to realize my hair was curly, since it was long and I would always brush it and destroy the curl…then I’d complain about frizz and weird waves. Now I’ve learned how to take care of it.

I have loved your hair since day one, and I’m so glad you’re highlighting it this week (well, not highlighting it literally, but you know what I mean). You have gorgeous hair, and, though it’s hard to tell now that it’s so short, mine is exactly like yours. Curly, unruly, beat into submission for years, and finally embraced for the craziness that it is (and then hacked off…). Anyway, I love it!

10. spacegeek says:

Okay so for 40 years I’ve worked with curly hair. Long, short, medium…. And I embraced the curls and was mostly happy. but my hair has been thinning for some time, and I cut my hair shorter because it gave the hair more body and stood up. I’ve started feeling like a quetip with a fuzzy little cottony head of hair…. not good.

So my haircutter started blowing it straight a few months ago, and I was so taken with the change in my look! I’d never done a blow out before!!

So I decided to try this keratin treatment (aka “Brazilian blowout”) which straightens hair for 3 months. Not quite as straight as the Japanese method but also supposed to be good for your hair.

I’m starting on week 3 and I love my new straight look! Shiny sexy hair that moves!! Wow! Anyway, we’ll see what happens but it is a great change.

A different perspective from one who never really fought the curls, just didn’t love the hair either.

11. Chelsea S. says:

Everytime I see a new post from you, S, I notice how amazing your curls look. Seriously spectacular! As my hair grows longer, I aim for it to be as long and amazing as yours :)

I’m a plopper myself… I love it. It keeps my wet hair from dripping down my back (worst feeling ever!) while I’m doing the rest of my post-shower rituals, and once I’m dressed and makeuped, my hair is perfectly styled :) That turban towel looks rad… I just used a tee shirt and hair tie!

12. Chelsea S. says:

Oh, ALSO, I swear by Aveda’s Be Curly Curl Enhancer cream. It’s the best for encouraging your curl and taming frizz without making your hair crunchy. I apply it to my hair dripping wet, scrunch the excess water out with an old tee shirt, and then “plop” my hair with the same tee shirt, securing with a hair tie. Once my hair has dried a bit (about an hour or two) I scrunch the front with my hands to release any extra hold/stiffness, and it’s perfect!

Yay for curly girls!

13. Hooray for curls! I love your long mane; mine can never get that long without split ends. Thanks for the links; that list is really helpful.
    As I look back on my own daily outfit photos, I can also see how my hair has changed over time and when it looked the best. When I see a particularly good hair day, I try to remember what I did then. Recently applying a light conditioner before my hair gel has helped keep my curls from getting too crunchy and dry. I’m also a big fan of pinning up the front as it dries.

14. Future Lint says:

I didn’t even realize I HAD curly hair until I cut my waist-length hair when I was 19 and all that weight stopped pulling my curls down into barely waves! It’s been a process for sure learning how to deal with it, but I love having curly hair! Yours is fabulous!