So often, our focus when getting dressed in the morning is how to minimize or downplay aspects of our bodies that we’re just not crazy about. Does this skirt smooth my hips? Does this top hide my tummy? Do these pants make my thighs look slimmer?
But what would happen if you inverted that thought process? What if, instead of dressing to mitigate your so-so, you dressed to highlight the parts of your body that you love most? What if, for a whole week, you committed to self-consciously dressing your best bits?
When we tried this experiment last year, all three of us were surprised by how empowering such a simple mental switch could be. E. dressed for her baby bump. A. dressed for her calves. S. dressed for her hair. Although our outfit choices may not have changed that much visibly, the act of getting dressed and articulating why we chose what we did had a significant psychological and emotional effect. And so we want to try this again, and we want you to join us.
May 10-14 will be Dress Your Best week 2010 at academichic.com. Intrigued? Want to participate? Click through the jump for more information!
We’re inviting you to dress your best with us! If you’d like to participate on your own blog and be linked to other bloggers who will also be dressing their best, follow these simple steps.
- Send us an e-mail or leave a comment letting us know that you want to be a part of Dress Your Best week. We’ll add your blog to a master list of participants which will be posted on academichic.com on May 10.
- Write down a list of at least five body parts that you love, no matter how big or small. Have great legs? Fantastic ankles? A graceful neck? You can look at some of the great lists that we received last year for inspiration.
- During the week of May 10-14, 2010, dedicate at least one post on your own blog to an outfit that you’ve built around one of your favorite body parts. Explain why you love that part of you and how your outfit complements it.
- Link back to this post on academichic.com and, if you wish, download the banner or badge below and include it in your Dress Your Best posts to let your readers know about this week long effort.
- Starting on May 10, check out our master list of participants and take the time to be inspired by other bloggers who are choosing to dress their best rather than minimize their worst.
We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Chics
If you could give one of your body parts a good ol’ grade school gold star, which one would it be? Better yet, which five? Download this banner or badge to include in your posts next week and let everyone know you’re dressing your best.