28 April 2010 – No One Expects a Graphic Print

April 28th, 2010 § 24 comments

28 April 2010 – No One Expects a Graphic Print, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Denim trench – adopted from sister-in-law
  • Yellow cardi: Ann Taylor Outlet
  • Leaf top: H&M
  • Belt: thrifted
  • Skirt: ages old, perhaps from Ross?
  • Pumps: Madden Girl, via DSW

Thank you all for bearing with me during the final, insane weeks of the semester (I haven’t forgotten that I owe you all a dress tutorial). After soldiering through many, many hours of writing, giving, and listening to seminar presentations I came home this evening and my husband greeted me by pointing out that I had just left my final department class as a PhD student. Whoa. I’m glad that I didn’t have the momentousness of the occasion in mind when I got dressed in the morning. That might have been a little too much pressure.

As it was, I dressed for today’s blitz of presentations wanting to end the semester with a pop. Enter the graphic leaf print tee paired with a yellow cardigan. I usually shy away from pairing yellow with black and white, for fear of looking like a bumblebee. But I think that the bold patterning of the top is fresh next to the yellow, and together they make a high-waisted skirt more modern.

I felt confident giving my presentation, put-together for listening to and commenting on others’, and comfortable enough to bike to and from campus (more on that later). Tonight, I’m taking a deserved night off, before heading back into the thick of actually writing those papers that I presented…

Tagged

§ 24 Responses to 28 April 2010 – No One Expects a Graphic Print"

1. Nadine says:

You look great, love the trench! (Bumble bees aren’t white!)

2. admin says:

Ha! Good point, Nadine! Maybe it’s the white that saves the look! – E

3. Congratulations on being done with coursework! When will you take your candidacy exams, E?

I love that denim trench!

4. Alisha says:

Gosh, you look so great! And I didn’t think bumble at all when I saw it. It looks very fresh and modern.

5. Rebecca says:

That denim trench is gorgeous. What a wonderful use of denim.

Enjoy your night off! You completely deserve it!

6. I really love black/yellow/white combinations – they look crisp and modern, almost futuristic. I don’t think bumblebee at all – and if I did, so what? Bees make honey and ensure that we have pretty flowers and a large chunk of our delicious fruits and vegetables. Nothing wrong with that! (I make mead. I may be biased.)

Congrats on being done with your coursework, too. I’ve only ever felt that rush as an MA candidate, but my, what a rush it is! Enjoy!

7. R says:

Lovely! But… you bikedon pumps?

8. Jane W. says:

Fabulous trench!!! Congratulations.

9. TB says:

You look gorgeous!

I want your closet — or you as an older sister (I’m an undergrad) so I can come in and steal all of your clothes!

10. Jane says:

I love your coat – you look fantastic.
    If you are interested I have a super Seville giveaway on my blog this week.

11. Sally says:

The graphic top was a bold, inspired choice!

12. Jenn says:

So very lovely! I adore black and yellow together and that print is just awesome!

13. Elle Sees says:

Love the pop of color with the yellow!

14. Kathryn says:

That trench is amazing. I am currently coveting it!

15. Aki says:

I love the yellow cardigan and the black skirt. You look exactly like someone from The Limited or Ann Taylor ad.

16. Charlie says:

that´s gorgeous, the cardi is perfect for the outfit! love the pattern, it´s very pretty.

17. Lisa says:

You look great, and I am looking to you for inspiration in this regard often, but you also are an inspiration to me for your work ethic!

I had a baby more that two years ago while being a Ph.D. student, I was in the middle of writing my thesis at that time. Well, I am still in the same stage today. Looking back, I don’t know what happened, why this thesis takes me so long, but obviously I need to work more! Well, checking your blog daily, alongside many others doesn’t really help, except to show me that some people can really do it: have a baby, look fabulous day after day (and on the cheap!), work towards their degree, and contributing to a fashion blog (which must be at least as time consuming from your part as it is to reading it from my part).

So congratulations on all your achievements, including finishing your coursework, and good luck with everything that’s coming! I really, truly wish you all the best.

18. Blume says:

But… you bikedon pumps?

I don’t know about her, but I do it all the time! I live about two miles from my work, and could never wear heels if I were walking there. But on a bike, sure! And I ride on the street and everything.

Oh my goodness, MAJOR congratulations are in order! Definitely take the evening off. Even with all the work ahead of you, this is a momentous accomplishment as well.

And you look beautiful for it! I especially love the sunny shade of yellow!

20. admin says:

Thank you, everyone, for your congratulations and kind words. Isn’t the denim trench fun? I’m so glad that my sister-in-law let me keep it.

@La Historiadora de Moda – If all goes as hoped, I’ll take my qualifying exams in the fall.

@R – On this particular day I biked in ballet flats and switched to pumps on campus, but I have been working on my high-heel-biking skills so that I can be a truly stylish biker like Blume :)

- E

21. Congratulations! Love the outfit :)

22. Diana says:

This outfit is so pretty! I love black and white with a pop of yellow.

23. Tanvi says:

Hey! First time around her. Went thru couple of your posts! What a lovely blog :o) I like it a lot! … Will be dropping by soon again :)

24. [...] how to make baby food, pull a bike trailer, and get a lot done during nap time. Academically, she finished off her coursework, took summer French, studied for, took, and passed her comprehensive exams, and turned in her Very [...]