27 April 2010

April 26th, 2010 § 15 comments

27 April 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Dress – vintage, thrifted, altered by me
  • Woven belt – Banana Republic Outlet
  • Necklace – Welt Laden in Salzburg
  • Silver sandals – Target

The three of us have sometimes joked that I have a penchant for fabrics and patterns that would be found on 1970s couches or sofa cushions. I think this dress fits the bill and works quite well with my existing wardrobe of garments that could double as tablecloths, 70s armchairs, or exotic wall hangings. Maybe it’s the big white swan embedded into the swirls of blue and green or the somewhat psychedelic mix of colors – whatever the reason – this dress found its way into the 2 Euro unwanted clearance pile. Leave it to me to rescue it and give it a good home.

Floral, originally uploaded by academichic.
Swan and Floral, originally uploaded by academichic.

This dress did need a bit of a DIY alteration job; I took in about two inches on each side of the bust piece to make it a snugger fit up top (although I’m thinking that it needs to be taken in a but more still). While not suitable for every occasion, I think this item will fare perfectly well on hot summer days, for relaxed bike rides around town, and for all those tropical beach vacations I plan on taking. For now, I wore this on Sunday for a day spent lounging on a blanket at the English Garden, reading up on 19th century sexology, and enjoying lunch al fresco. Summer has a way of bringing out the hippie/bohemian in me. . . S.

27 April 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged

§ 15 Responses to 27 April 2010"

1. Victoria says:

I love that you can make fun of yourself a bit. This is a gorgeous dress, and I happen to like all the patterns you referred to… you’re certainly not alone!

2. Kathryn says:

I’ve definitely worn my fair share of curtain inspired clothing too! This dress is lovely for a relaxed spring/summer day. I can’t believe how long your hair has grown either!

3. GingerB says:

I have a Ralph Lauren wrap skirt with a pattern that bears a remarkable resemblance to a chintz sofa. It goes with a lacy sort of sweater and sometimes I think it’s the sofa with crocheted dollies like your ancient Grandma might have had.

4. Jane Winkler says:

You look very bohemian indeed! I love the swan “hidden” in the print.

5. It is very boho chic! What a great find, and it looks like you DIY alterations came off without a hitch!

I wish nice weather would return here so that I could engage in some outside reading.

6. Sally says:

I’m right there with you on the retro-kitsch prints. They RULE!

7. Vanessa says:

Beautiful dress!

8. elle sees says:

If I saw this dress I wouldn’t have taken it, but it looks great on you. Somethings look better in person than on the rack! You need to be on a beach!

9. admin says:

Thanks for all the retro/kitsch solidarity to those of you who said you can emphasize! Ultimately, what’s a wardrobe without a bit of fun in it, right?

@LHDM – there’s nothing better than getting to do work outside! It beats the library any day, so I hope you can enjoy some outside reading/writing soon as well!

S

10. That dress is wonderful – it screams “beach!” so loudly at me that I’m dying to see it with a pair of wedge sandals and a wide-brimmed hat.

Not that it doesn’t look awesome in the forest, too, because it does!

11. R says:

Lovely! I think it would look even more awesome if you shortned it at knee lenght or a couple of inches up.

12. sabrina says:

I love 1970s looks as well (mustard yellow poly? Check!) although I’ve not been drawn patterns until recently. Great dress. I’ve been loving your thrifted dress finds lately. So beautiful.

13. Trisha says:

Great colors in that dress! Glad you got your camera back so you can share your latest ensembles with us once again. :)

14. I love love your dress! the colors and pattern are fabulous!