Pre-Travels Belting

March 31st, 2010 § 23 comments

Pre-Travles Belting, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Shirt Dress – Gap
  • Belt – Old Navy
  • Grey Flats – BR Outlet
  • Earrings – F21

Sorry for being MIA for quite some time now, but I just got back from an amazing 10 days in Europe and am now trying to play catch up.

I spend most of yesterday in my sweats and Michigan State T-Shirt (my alma-mater – Go Spartans!!), but I have a couple outfits from before I left that I  never got a chance to post.  I promise that once I catch up on some emails, grading, paper writing, meetings. readings, etc I will do a lengthy post on how I managed to pack for 10 days in 4 countries in one carry on.

Earrings, originally uploaded by academichic.

Now, on to belting.  Often I grab for a belt out of habit.  I love how belts hold shifting items in place, emphasize my waist, and add visual interest.  I’ll admit that sometimes I default to belting when it just isn’t necessary, but some days a belt is an absolute must!

I purchased this shirt dress on super sale a few weeks ago and had to buy a size up to make room for my hips and butt, which means it’s a little to large on top and especially around my waist.  With out a belt this dress looks like a sack:

Belt Needed, originally uploaded by academichic.

The addition of the teal belt makes this a more colorful and interesting ensemble but it also kept the dress from creeping up and changes the proportions of the dress significantly.  Belt nay-sayers, you have to agree with me on this one, right?

Belted, originally uploaded by academichic.
Pre-Travels Belting, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , ,

§ 23 Responses to Pre-Travels Belting"

1. Empress says:

Love a crisp shirt dress, so chic!

2. Kathleen says:

What a difference a belt makes. The dress looks like it was made for you when you belt it.

3. Mariel says:

that dress is adorable! cool belt and the earrings really bring everything together! :)

4. Oh what a lovely color on you. The dress definitely needed a belt, and it’s such a great look.

5. Liana says:

I think it’s cute without a belt. However, I totally see how it’s not quiet as pulled together looking without it. I still think you could wear it without the belt. =)

6. Katie K says:

I bought this dress last week and thus far have only been using the thin fabric belt to pull it in. Maybe now I’ll have to try it with my wider leather belt! (especially since I also had to buy the bigger size to fit my hips!)

7. Elena says:

Love this dress on you—looks fabulous belted. :) Need to check if the dress comes in talls…the last shirtdress I bought from Gap can pretty much only be worn with leggings/over jeans now.

8. Diana says:

I love love love this with the teal belt! (Teal is absolutely my favorite color… ) I’ll have to take another look at the shirtdresses at Gap – I’ll admit I pretty much ignored them because shirtdresses never ever fit my hips and waist right, but you’ve inspired me to try again with a great belt.

9. Kelly says:

That belt is AWESOME. I want one! And it looks so awesome with this dress. I’m pitiful at belting (for some reason I always feel like it looks off on me) but you guys constantly inspire me to at least try!

10. Oh I love this dress! Such a great purchase.

11. Sarah says:

Love this dress!! Looks much better with a belt!!

12. Rachel says:

Cute dress but the belt really makes the outfit. I’m with you 100% on belting – I belt almost everything!

13. Deena says:

From one academic feminist to another–go green, sparty on!! I graduated from MSU in 2004 with degrees in social sciences and women’s studies. The few, the proud, the fierce!

14. this dress looks amazing belted!! and blue is such a flattering color on you.

15. Blume says:

To the person who said “I always feel like [belting] looks off on me”: that’s very possible! Experimenting is good, but there are definitely body types on which belts are just hard. The combo of a short waist + a large chest (my own body type) is a particularly difficult one.

16. EmilyKennedy says:

This is really flattering on you. Rock out!

17. Vanessa says:

I would never guess that this dress looked like a sack– the belt makes it perfect!

18. RB says:

I must admit, I am one of the few here who belt sparingly. But I do agree shirtdresses almost ALWAYS need to be belted. As the weather has been warmer here for the past week or so, I’ve seen too many women around with the unbelted shirtdresses and it just looks wrong, pretty much like a sack, as you demonstrated so well. Thanks again for all the inspiration to try belting!

19. Megan says:

The belt really does make a difference- looks perfect!

Good luck with all the work you have to get through – and I’m really looking forward to your packing post!

20. Moni says:

Just wanted to say Go Green! Go White! I am trying to become a belt convert, I’m really going to make it my mission this fall. I always feel so restricted with them on, but maybe I need to find the right ones…

21. Belt to the rescue, I’d say ;) Love the earrings, too.

22. [...] belt won’t fix when it comes to creating shape and definition. This dress looks similarly to A’s shirtdress in terms of hanging there without much form when left on its own. But throw a wide belt around, and [...]

23. [...] (including ones that wrap) and both have an excellent collection of styles, colors, and materials, not to mention the styling that they do themselves to make these dresses even more interesting. [...]