31 March 2010

March 31st, 2010 § 19 comments

31 March 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Coral cardigan: Banana Republic Factory
  • Blue tank: Target
  • Cream skirt: Banana Republic Factory
  • Belt: Gap Outlet
  • T-strap sandals: Target.com clearance

Today was an absolutely gorgeous spring day, one of those where you just have to pull out an ode-to-spring outfit. Even though this full cream colored skirt made several appearances throughout the fall and winter, it’s really my spring and summer staple, all light and airy and swirly.

I was inspired to pair this cream with coral and a wide belt thanks in part to Kendi’s “Zooey” dress from Anthropologie. Except mine’s not a dress. And I inverted the colors. Also I’m wearing blue. And I don’t look anything like Zooey Deschanel. But I digress.

Does anyone else check out Pantone’s seasonal color forecasts? Among the color trends for Spring 2010 are classic spring colors like turquoise and violet. But the thing I love best about Pantone colors are the names that they saddle some of these swatches with. “Dried Herb.” “Aurora.” “Tomato Puree.” It makes feel a little bad about just calling my color combination today “coral” and “blue.” Can we come up with something better? I think that reds tend to be named after foods or flowers, while blues tend to be named with words associated with the sky, ocean, or precipitation. Okay. So…”poppy” and “sky”? “Rhubarb” and “splash”? “Ahi tuna” and “blizzard”? Heh.

31 March 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , ,

§ 19 Responses to 31 March 2010"

1. PL says:

I absolutely adored this outfit when I saw the first picture. Then you said that it was inspired by Kendi Everyday’s Zooey outfit and now I know why I love it so much. The coral cardigan looks great on you (coral is becoming one of my favorite spring colors).

2. Luinae says:

This is one of my favourite outfits- I love cream on you! It really makes you look so bright and pretty.

3. Christina says:

What a gorgeous outfit! I have so many cardigans longing for this outfit.

4. Nadine says:

Beautiful colours and silhouette!

5. Bea says:

I love that skirt, and totally agree! White floofy skirts say SUMMER! to me. I’ve actually been on the prowl for one, any idea where I can get something similar? They are usually abundant as soon as spring hits, but it seems like they are hiding this season!

6. Sally says:

Funny, I find the Pantone names to be totally confusing. How do I know what shade of green “dried herb” is?

I adore the super-retro look this full skirt creates!

7. Tara says:

I love the colors! And the way you are wearing the cardigan. Can’t wait to try this :)

8. Jane W. says:

The coral and aqua are so pretty together, and I love the full skirt with the fitted top, too. It looks like a white poppy!

9. Em says:

This may be my favorite outfit of yours that I’ve seen to date! Perfection.

10. this skirt looks absolutely lovely on you.

11. Sarah says:

I adore this retro look!!! I just got a full skirt like this and I am going to steal this idea – hope you don’t mind. Thanks for the inspiration!

12. Aditi says:

Do you just tuck your cardigan into your skirt?

13. Sara says:

This is my favorite spring color combo…turquoise and coral are just perfection! I’ve even tried to bring that color combination to my living room, I love it so much :)

14. Patti says:

E., Not only is your outfit(and your attitude wearing it!) adorable, but I love (and fully intend to steal) the way you have tucked over your cardigan. What a cute look!

15. Dawn says:

I love this outfit! I may have to copy the way you tucked in your cardigan.

16. Kendi says:

I love this white skirt. When I first saw this post I said out loud “I need that skirt.” So if you ever decide to toss it aside, I’ll gladly take it off your hands!

I love what you did with your cardigan — how you criss-crossed it and tucked it in. I might just have to steal this from you…

17. Hmm…suntan flower and skim milk? :D

18. Diana says:

This outfit is stunningly beautiful on you! I love the alternate color names you thought up.

19. Ash says:

I love this look so I’m desperately trying to figure out what skirt this is or where I could get one like it. Can someone help??? What kind of fabric does this skirt seem like it’s made of?