31 March 2010

March 30th, 2010 § 27 comments

31 March 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Red cardi – thriifted
  • Embellished tee – made by E.
  • Skinnies – S.Oliver
  • Silver flats – Target
  • Pale purple flower pin – Dulken & Derrick, via Blue Onion Marketplace

Day Three of my self-imposed red cardi challenge. Sorry if I look a bit dazed in these photos, I took them early this morning before I even had my first cup of coffee. I’m rarely this quick to get ready, but I guess there is something to be said about setting certain terms or criteria on your getting-dressed routine; it really cuts the decision time down when you know you have to wear a certain something. I grabbed the red cardi, my new pair of jeans, and just filled in the gaps around that. I guess therein lies the appeal of the uniform – less choice can also mean less deliberation time.

While I loved how the bright red popped again a white eyelet top yesterday, I decided to try  the cardi with a darker neutral today. This hand-embellished top E. made for me is of a dark gray, perhaps slate?, color and I love the way the darker neutral comes together with the bright red. I also played off the dark purple embellishments around the tee’s neckline and added this lilac Dulken & Derrick silk flower. Since the rest of the outfit is simple – dark wash jeans and silver flats – the embellished neckline will serve as the focal point of today’s look.

31 March 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Now, a brief rant before I go – I wanted to purchase another pair of skinny jeans since I practically live in my other pair. Since I’m on a student budget, I first went to all the discount shops like Zara and C&A (sorry, H&M, you’re still being boycotted) and I was absolutely horrified with my findings: either my derrière is much larger than I thought or those stores’ suppliers are skimping on fabric when it comes to making the top portion of their pants. Is anyone else so over the low-waist trend? I couldn’t sit down in any of those for fear of exposing half of my junkage.

So I had to bite the bullet and do what Stacy and Clinton forever preach on What Not To Wear and just go to the adults’ jean section to find a well fitting pair. The problem with the grown-up store is that they have grown-up prices. But I realized that in the end it’s well worth it to spend a bit more on a pair of jeans that don’t require me to be standing the entire time I wear them. Luckily, I found this amazing pair at s.Oliver on sale for 30 Euros down from 60 Euros and they have enough of a higher rise waist that I can sit or bend comfortably; they have a bit of stretch in them, which I think is a must for skinny jeans; and they fit my ‘womanly’ body like a dream. Does this mean I should stop shopping in the Juniors section at TJMaxx now too?

Do you, dear readers, find it equally bothersome that jeans seem to now be mostly made of two leg bits and almost no waist portion to speak of? How much are you willing to spend on a pair of jeans in exchange for perfect cut and fit? (For me, 30 Euros is probably the most I’ve even dropped on a pair). S.

Tagged , ,

§ 27 Responses to 31 March 2010"

1. Emm says:

When I was in the states last month I tried on several different styles of jeans at the Gap and noticed the rises were longer and more flattering. I should have bought a pair, but my kids were hungry and cranky, so I didn’t have time. I think the higher waist trend has yet to be adopted in Europe because like you, all I can find is super low-rise jeans. I’ll have to check out s.Oliver–our local department store carries them.

The most I’ve ever spent on jeans is $150 for a pair of Joe’s at Anthropologie. They are by far my favorite jeans, so while expensive, price per wear they come out cheaper than most of my other clothes.

2. L says:

I’m willing to spend a bit extra on jeans because they’re staple pieces– I’d much rather drop $75 on them than $75 on a crazy sequined top that I’ll wear in the very unlikely event I go clubbing.

With that said, 7 For All Mankind is one of my favorite brands. Their jeans make me look like I have a butt and they don’t stretch out a ton after one wearing. (This has been a problem with Banana Republic jeans, which fit me great when their freshly washed but then “grow” so much that I’m swimming in them.) Since 7 jeans are so pricey (upwards of $150 I think), I look out for them at places like consignment shops and TJ Maxx, where I’ve seen prices ranging from $45-$90. Still a bit high but I’m willing to spend the money on something I’ll wear so often.

3. Rebecca says:

The most I’ve spent on jeans is £65 from fcuk, but those days are over. I bought my last pair a couple of years ago from TKMaxx for £20 and they fit like a dream. It’s so difficult to find the perfect waist band. For me, it’s somewhere below my belly button but not too low. I can’t shop in places like Topshop as they are embarrassingly low cut! I think every girl is on a constant quest for the perfect pair.

4. MLC says:

The most I’ve spent on jeans is USD 100 for a pair of Lucky Brand that I bought in the U.S. Now I live in Hong Kong, and I would GLADLY spend twice that much to find a pair with a decent rise and room for a real butt and thighs. Jeans here are all super low-cut and skinny, practically just one step up from leggings.

5. admin says:

I think I need to look into Seven for all Mankind jeans, I’ve heard so many people sing their praises lately.

Thanks for your input, everyone! It’s good to hear that others are feeling as disgruntled by this super low waist trend and I’m not alone in this. S.

6. katie says:

When my beloved thrifted 7 for all Mankind jeans were no longer wearable, I recently splurged on (nonskinny) jeans at the Gap. As Emm said, they do a better job of covering one’s rear end. These jeans do stretch out after a few wears, but since I can only wear jeans on Fridays/weekends, having to wash them sooner isn’t as bad.

Right now my only skinny pair is from ON and I only wear them occasionally with tall boots. I’d like to try the skinny look with flats. Gap skinnies weren’t working for me–any ideas for where to look?

7. Erica says:

S – those jeans look aMAZing on you!

It took me 6 months to find a pair of skinny jeans that fit. I tried Jr’s pairs, but of course they were only too tight in the booty (no room for my runners quads either!).

I finally found a great pair at Ann Taylor Loft. They have some stretch and accomodate both my quads and my butt and they cinch in at the waist with no gaping! They were pricey but totally worth it. I usually wear them with flats, because my tall boots just don’t work with jeans tucked in very well … which is going to be my next major purchase!

8. Heidi says:

I’ve had the same problem! I think jeans are basically made for juniors, and are too low rise, too low cut.

But I recommend Gap and Lucky! I’ve had good luck with both brands. Stacy London recommends the Gap Long and Lean, which I really like. :)

9. those jeans look amazing on you!! and yes, i have these problems with jeans too (as does anyone with shape–i think cheaply made jeans don’t give as much attention to curves because they are more difficult to sew for). i rarely buy jeans because they’re so expensive but i definitely try to find bargains! i bought a pair this summer at the j crew outlet which was a steal at half off (about $30), but buffalo exchange and others have given me a few good deals.
    but seriously, amen on the griping about fit. i hate hate low-waisted butt-crack-showing jeans!

10. mag says:

why are you boycotting h&m?

11. admin says:

Mag – I talked about my decision to no longer shop at H&M and F21 here:

You can also read directly about the H&M scandal that prompted my decision here:

S

12. Oh my gosh, that is exactly how I feel about jeans! I’ve had the hardest time finding skinnies that fit. If there is room for my rear and middle, the legs are baggy and the waistband stretches out after a few washings. If the legs are nice and slim, I can barely button the top button. Even Old Navy’s multitude of cuts didn’t work for me.
    Then again, I am a cheapskate about jeans. $25 is the most I have ever paid. Because of my curves, I generally avoid the junior’s section, which seems to be cut for teenage boys.

13. Miranda says:

I swear by Lucky Jeans and Joe’s Jeans. A little more expensive, but they last forever (even though I wear them to death). And as a petite person, I find it difficult to locate jeans with a rise that isn’t far too long on me.

14. Andrea says:

I have the same issue with jeans.i have long legs, so its hard to find a good rise and a long enough inseam. however, even though i wear a 3 or 5 in JRs, i cant seem to find any ‘adult’ jeans that arent huge on me. ideas?!

15. Alisha says:

I hate spending more than $35 on any one piece of clothing (hey, I’m a student, alright?), jeans included. Luckily, I’ve found that Levi’s jeans fit me very well (the juniors size 7), and they are always priced around $30-$40. They also don’t gap at the waist, which is a problem I tend to have with jeans since I’ve got a small waist and large hips. Although they are advertised as “low rise” I can always sit down, bend over, etc and still be well covered. I still think $40 is kind of a lot to pay for jeans, but I wear them every week, so I guess the cost per wear is quite low at this point. And the jeans are good quality and a good fit.

16. Diana says:

I totally agree with you! I think the super low rise thing is a particular problem with skinnies, for whatever reason; bootcuts and straight legs from the same companies seem to be much better in terms of rise, at least in my opinion. It’s a shame since I actually think skinnies in particular look way better with a higher rise – having the waistband at a skinnier part of your body rather than right over the widest part of your hips helps balance out the very narrow legs especially if you have any sort of butt at all.

17. T. says:

I just sent a scathing email to Lands End for the indecent rise on the jeans in their new Canvas line. Lands End, for crying out loud! What is the world coming to?

I just discovered Jag Jeans, which have a slightly higher rise in the back to provide a little modesty. I ordered five different pair through Zappos, and while some of them fit like “mom jeans”, I had good luck with the boyfriend cut.

18. Shannon says:

Luckily, Levi’s 505s fit me like a dream, have a reasonable rise, and come in great washes. I’ve been wearing them forever, and will continue to do so as long as they keep making them. I typically give $30 – $50 for them.

19. GingerB says:

I’m curvy and wouldn’t even attempt to try on skinny jeans. No reason to torture myself!

I have paid upwards of $60 for Curvy Trouser jeans at the Gap, and was rewarded with pants that fit at the waist and hops and since I bought online, were the proper length. I only have them cleaned at the dry cleaner and they look great several years later.

Otherwise it’s perfectly possible to get jeans with stylish elements at mass market places like Penny’s or Kohl’s in the $30 range if you show up with a coupon. Lee has some lower waisted models with stretch and coverage so you aren’t looking like a plumber when you bend over.

I have seen 7 for Mankind jeans at Filene’s or Nordstrom but truth be told, they look so small on the rack, even in my size, I haven’t ventured into a dressing room with them.

20. EmilyKennedy says:

It’s funny you mention the low-rise jeans thing, because last night I was entertaining myself by reading reviews of Gap’s skinny jeans. The reviews for their newer, mid-rise skinny jean almost uniformly mentioned how great it was to have a rise that fits. It was kind of adorable actually, that all these women agreed that although they wanted to partake in the skinny leg trend, they preferred it paired with a mid-rise waist.

21. Joni says:

Low rises don’t bother me so much, but I can’t seem to fit my muscular calves in many true junior-cut skinnies, so I veer towards straight leg styles which I can still tuck into boots. I found a pair of Levi’s in the junior dept of Kohls dept store last fall for about 20 dollars. The waist stretches too big after about 15 minutes so I wear a belt which also mitigates the low-rise peek-a-boo effect.

22. jentine says:

Nothing is more upsetting to me than a breeze at my lower back…. I hate potential craqck viewings!
    I got some skinnies from Gap that I have been living in. They are technically highwaist but they settle in just below the belly button and look good no matter what. Good skinnies are a girl’s best friend, forget diamonds…

23. design_SMITH says:

Finding the right rise is the hardest part! Proportionally I look better in low-mid rise because my (bubble) butt sits low but I also have a long waist so it needs to be high enough that I’m not baring my belly (and tops long enough). My hips/butt are ample, but if I buy high (or back in the day normal) rise jeans I end up with a big gap in the back …

Jeans are an item that I will am willing to spend more on as I know with the right fit I will wear them hundreds of times, therefore the price becomes nominal.

24. I hope I’m not throwing a spanner into the works here, but I don’t think it’s just H&M that destroys clothing for the sake of some evil corporate reason (I can tell you what I was told but it is so ridiculous and insulting that I can’t believe it’s true). I worked at the Gap a number of years ago and the bushels of clothing they had labelled for destruction was seriously shameful. They sent it somewhere central or Californian for destruction (this was when the Gap first invaded Canada) probably so there would be no dumpster shame. I was vociferous about this at the time and wrote to the corporation as one of their concerned employees and I was summarily ignored. I quit. I wish I could say it was over this issue, and I suppose that partly it was, but it was also a dismal, dismal job. Unless things have changed, this means that Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy probably employ similar tactics to H&M. And I imagine that it doesn’t stop there.

25. junkage. heh.
    But I share the same problem. That is why I make sure I never lose/gain weight. Shopping for jeans is depressing or annoying.

26. Nicotine : says:

always choose dry cleaners that uses organic based cleaning agents and detergent to help the environment.’”

27. I ACTUALLY appeared to be very pleased to search out this particular web-site.I want to to appreciate it for your effort with this amazing learn!! I ACTUALLY positively having fun with any little bit of this and I’ve you book marked to see brand-new thing you blog post.