24 March 2010

March 24th, 2010 § 23 comments

24 March 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Turquoise blazer: thrifted
  • Patterned blouse: F21
  • Brown pencil skirt: NY & Co
  • Red Wedges: Naturalizers, via DSW
  • Necklace: vintage brooch, from grandmother

I usually expect blazers to be a neutral, and yet I couldn’t resist thrifting this turquoise velveteen blazer a couple of years ago, especially since it had elbow patches. How utterly professorial, right?

Perhaps because of its unusual color, I’ve tended to wear this blazer for more casual outfits, like jeans or bermuda shorts, never really considering it for more professional on-campus attire. But, I gave it a shot today, figuring that if anything was going to balance the stodgy-potential of a fuzzy, elbow patch jacket, it would be a slim pencil skirt and a blouse in an interesting pattern.

24 March 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

I do wish that a bit more of the blouse would have been visible, but I preferred the silhouette of the closed blazer better (though I did open the jacket when I sat down). Knowing that the mostly-hidden blouse wouldn’t be enough visual interest, I added a makeshift necklace, fashioned from one of my grandmother’s brooches, that echoed the swirls of the top’s pattern. And then I finished everything off with a kick of red in the shoe.

24 March 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Oh, how I wish I had something more interesting to add, but alas, I’m juggling too many research projects this week, and I’m trying to figure out how to organize a paper on consumption, class, and the exotic in Second Empire France. You can go ahead and tell me whether I should lead off with idea A or idea B, even though you have no idea what either of those ideas are.

Or actually, maybe you should just let me know if you, too, own a brightly colored blazer? What color? How do you style it?

24 March 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 23 Responses to 24 March 2010"

1. Sarah says:

Go with idea B. Love the blazer!! I own a pink short sleeve blazer and a black and white checked short sleeve blazer and I wear them with basic black. I love them both!! You always look great – love this look!!!

2. v. says:

Looks great! I have a fuchsia blazer that I adore. Mostly I just wear it with neutrals — black, white and grey, and dark denim. My campus is extremely casual at the best of times, so even wearing a blazer can make me feel pretty dressed up. I like the bright blazer because it makes me feel more put together than my students, but not so stuffy that I stand out.

3. Mel.J says:

I also have a thrifted fitted turquoise velveteen blazer (without elbow patches though). It has been too warm to wear it here since I bought it & I’ve been eyeing it in the wardrobe as the weather cools down. It did get one outing, where I used it in a monochrome outfit, all in shades of blue-green. The top had a very drapey low neckline so I ended up adding a white tank underneath but I was very happy with the look & will repeat it this winter. I have a gorgeous scrunchy scarf with teal in it that I want to combine it with.

4. Lovely! My wife calls them “professor patches” :)

5. Teri says:

I wish my turquoise/teal? blazer fit like yours. Maybe a belt? Anyway, you look great and gave me a push to try my blazer again, this fall…

6. Expat says:

I vote for Idea A. It comes before B which suggests that it came to your mind first, and that probably means it is the right one.

As for brightly colored blazers, I have a fantastic orange blazer that I love but never wear. Partly this is due to the climate I live in (which is too humid for blazers) but also because of the color. I usually try it with black pants or a skirt but I’m realizing that is too much of a contrast. I think I’m going to try it with brown or tan pants next time.

7. E says:

Ha ha ha ha idea B!

I have an orange checkered jacket that I had problems matching to other clothes until I figured out that it goes with navy, sort of.

My mother has a lovely wine-coloured red skirt suit that I hope she will one day pass on to me. She bought it in the 70s so it’s officially vintage. I borrowed the jacket once and wore it with a light pink (a colour I have trouble matching with anything in my closet) angora sweater and jeans, and I got compliments all day.

8. Rosalind says:

I’m going to vote for idea A – just because B has 2 votes and A only has one so that will balance things out. Teehee! Whichever idea you choose, don’t forget the other one – chances are it’ll be the seed of a different paper/ article/ chapter of your thesis.

Love the turquoise. I’m all for bright colours in work – it cheers everybody up!

9. Kathryn says:

I actually just wore my turquoise velveteen blazer yesterday and posted about it. I’d love for you to check it out! I own tons of blazers in crazy colors and patterns. One of my all time favorites is my green plaid one with elbow patches. I wear it whenever I want my 7th grade students to take grammar very seriously. (We joke in class about certain grammar rules being extremely important to “pipe smoking British professors in elbow-padded jackets”!)

10. Rose B says:

Last time I went thrifting I found a fuzzy mustard yellow blazer of the same material that yours looks to be. It fit great, but I didn’t buy it because I had no idea how to wear it! Now I know… ;)

Thanks again for another great outfit. You look lovely, as always.

11. The blazer looks great! Definitely not stodgy.

I have a plum colored blazer that’s one of my most versatile pieces. I last wore it like this: http://fashionableacademics.blogspot.com/2010/03/dress-challenge-day-2.html

12. Kelly says:

I love this outfit!! I have a magenta velveteen blazer that I absolutely love. I have styled it with everything from jeans for the everyday to black pencil skits for class presentations. It is one of my go to versatile items and it is great. It is also great for traveling since it doesn’t wrinkle much, and it is very comfortable!

13. Mariel says:

This is too adorable! Love the color combo and the shoes!!! I had a similar jacket that was teal and I donated it because I had difficulties styling it! Now I regret this fact. :)

14. jane says:

va-voom! I own an apple green corduroy blazer that I thrifted. I style it with a printed flutter-hemmed skirt (yellow, black and red), a purple coarse wool skirt, black, and jeans. For accessories, I stick with bright colors and bold forms.

15. Kathy says:

I have a red blazer, but I’m not sure that counts. My really crazy blazer is yellow.I like it in the summer over a white skirt and colored tank top.

16. Sarah says:

I have a purple velvet blazer that I either wear with a muted neutral print or with a brightly colored solid tank with detail cutouts. I like the idea of wearing a pattern underneath but I don’t have anything purple patterned in a top.

17. Angeline says:

Love the elbow patches! I’ve got a bright green trapeze-style jacket (sort of like the one S. wore yesterday). I’ve mostly worn it w/ jeans (trouser and skinny) and neutral tops, but you guys are giving me some great ideas!

18. A-C says:

That last picture is too cute! The only brightly colored blazer I own is white with hot pink flower pattern all over it. It makes me pretty happy. I would love to find one like yours, though.

19. Charlie says:

that outfit is just perfect!

20. Holly says:

I love the colors of this outfit! I own a dusky purple velveteen blazer and I like to wear it over a cream lace shirt and black trousers. I just want to let you guys know that I really enjoy reading your blog! I pop in all the time.

21. spacegeek says:

I love colored jackets! I have an orange leather jacket, a garnet corderoy (sp??) one, a bottle green jacket and a blue green suede one! I wear jackets all the time because my office is always chilly!

22. The colors of this outfit make me happy! Love the bling, too.

23. Ebony says:

Hi there! I am very new this site and I think I’m in love with it! How tall are you? I ask because I am 5’10″ and very bashful about incorporating color….but i see you manage to do it oh-so-well. I will be perusing this site tonight to soak in as many tips as possible because I really like how you manage to find thrift pieces and MAKE them work! Awesome! Thanks for the helpful tips in advance!