DIY: Floral Applique Embellished Cardigan

March 5th, 2010 § 39 comments

• Embellished cardi: Target + Amy Butler fabric + a little DIY
  • Navy top: Target
  • Denim pencil skirt: Banana Republic Factory
  • Gray knee socks: mom’s from college
  • Boots: Steve Madden Iriss

I adopted this little green cropped cardigan from one of my sisters-in-law, but shortly thereafter it developed a little hole in the shoulder. Rather than throwing it away, I thought that it would serve as the perfect base for trying my hand at cardigan-embellishing. I started with this Blushing Bouquet cardigan from Anthropologie as my general inspiration:

A few simple steps:

1.  Select a fabric with a strong print. Iron on a length of fusible web to the back of your fabric.

2.  Cut out the pattern you want to applique. I tried to get a variety of sizes of flowers and leaves from my fabric.

3.  Lay out the cut-outs on your cardigan. I wanted mine to go all the way around the neck, so I couldn’t lay everything out at the same time. Instead, I selected a few flowers as anchor points and ironed those into place.

4.  Keep ironing the cut-outs onto your cardigan until you have the desired look. And… ta da!

A Few Notes: Any time you adhere a woven fabric to a knit, you lose the stretch of the knit. So, if you need your cardi to keep that stretch — particularly around the bust, for example — then refrain from appliqueing embellishments there. Also, be sure to follow the directions on whatever brand of fusible web you purchase for best results. And finally, I think this is going to be a handwashed laundry item from here on it. But I think it’s worth it.

If academia doesn’t work out, maybe I’ll just become a full-time cardigan embellisher. I know that, given time and supplies, I could very well make something like this or this or this. And look how many fabulous — and often surprisingly easy! — ways there are to fancy up your cardigan using ribbon or just scraps of fabric!

As always, we’d love to see what you’ve come up with yourself!

Tagged , ,

§ 39 Responses to DIY: Floral Applique Embellished Cardigan"

1. Marie says:

I love this DIY and MUST try it! You picked the greatest color and pattern for the florals.
    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

2. MsAmanda says:

Cute, cute. So fresh and springy!

3. Sally says:

Holy moly, lady, it turned out beautifully!

4. Faux Naïf says:

this is just marvelous! honestly, it looks so beautiful – like something out of a swish indie boutique. well done!

5. Jenny says:

That is beyond cool. So crafty, yet easy enough that I could probably pull it off.

Thank you for this!

6. Jane W. says:

Wow!! Beautiful color combination. I lurve Amy Butler.

7. Jade says:

Love the applique! The whole outfit is awesome!

8. Kristena says:

Fantastic! Thanks for linking to my revamp too. This reminds me that I need to get crackin’ on my spring wardrobe! :)

9. Wow! This is the most amazing DIY I’ve seen without a single thread involved.

10. MET says:

This is so cute! I love the fabric you picked to make the embellishments from.

11. EmilyKennedy says:

Whoa! That’s so freakin’ COOL! I don’t think I knew about fusible web iron-on stuff. RADNESS!

12. Kimberly says:

I have been loving the look of a striped tee with flowers on it (http://www.thebudgetbabe.com/archives/2296-Spot-the-Steal-Floral-and-Striped-Dresses.html). I was planning a DIY but was trying to find flower iron-ons. But with this idea I can make my own!! Woot-woot!! Thanks for the great idea and love the cardigan!

13. Madeline says:

This is a fantastic DIY! I have been in a do it myself mood lately, and I am *always* in a cardigan mood.

I really want to do this sometime soon!

14. tess says:

hi just found your blog, I am immediately intrigued by your premise, a fashion inspired academic, since I may go into academia myself and I’m from the midwest originally (MN). I love your blog already from this post. what a great sweater and I can’t believe you made it yourself wow! great job! can’t wait to read more. would you like to trade links?

15. sabrina says:

I am totally speechless, E.! I don’t even like embellishments on my clothes ordinarily (attempt to buy “classics” that will last many season) but this is a perfect project for a thrifted cardigan. So easy but look at that payoff! I will totally try this soon.
    The rest of the outfit is also beautiful styled. Another academichic win!

16. Cindy says:

There is fusible knit interfacing available, and I’ve used that to applique t-shirts. The downside is that the applique has to be sewn down instead of ironed on, but the garment doesn’t lose it’s stretch.

17. Sunday says:

genius! you’re so creative!

18. Vanessa says:

This so cool! I really want to try this one out!

19. design_SMITH says:

I actually have the same cardi from target (in same color) which I usually wear with a strapless summer dress … now you’ve got me thinking about how to embellish it. I love the DIY pieces!

20. angie~* says:

You picked out the perfect colours for your floral fabric! Very nice! I like the little flower at the back!

Oh my gosh, this is GENIOUS! I love it, and I totally want to try it, too.

22. kristen says:

Brilliant I tell you. Absolutely brilliant.

23. WendyB says:

GREAT work! It looks wonderful.

24. That looks gorgeous! I wish we have fusible web here :(

25. Linguist Barbie says:

Ok, this was just the kick-start I needed. I had a pretty grey sweater that had felted down to doll size in the wash, and a deep craving for the rosette-embellished cardigans that AT Loft is selling right now (see: http://tinyurl.com/yjr993v).

Out of those two elements, plus a pink *Target* cardigan (approx. 2/7 the price!), a procrastinatory Saturday, a needle and thread, and some spare buttons and beads, came this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maeveenroute/4412928451/ . I wired the rosettes to each other, and to two safety-pin backings, so I can take the whole thing off before washing, and so it can go with other sweaters, too!

Thanks for the impetus … and for a much more relaxing day yesterday than I would have had if I’d been working on lesson plans! ;c)

26. Goannatree says:

What a fabulous idea! It looks great!

27. Wao, it turned out beautiful!! Congrats!

thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

28. Lily says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. It’ll be the next crafty project my sister and I do together. Such a wonderful way to revamp my student budget wardrobe, which is looking a little plain of late.

29. yublocka says:

Wow I have never seen anything like this before. What a wonderful idea – LOVE it!!!

30. m says:

this is an awesome idea! i am going to have to try this! thanks!

31. kellty says:

Turned out super cute! I may have a new weekend project now!

32. [...] of heavy rain comes to be. For this week’s floral venture I’ve returned to my floral embellished cardigan with its big, overlapping Amy Butler poppies. With a gray tank, cuffed skinnies, and yellow patent [...]

33. [...] I added one little decal to the pocket and one to the top right side of my new shirt. I attached them by hand-stiching all along the border of my decal to secure it to the shirt. Another alternative would be using a no-sew adhesive tape to attach your embellishments, as E. did with these flower decals on her cardigan. [...]

34. Morgan says:

Just did this and love it! Can’t wait to try something else!

35. [...] hand me down from SIL, embellished by me Dress: Banana Republic Factory Belt: Gap Outlet Pumps: Steve [...]

36. [...] worn it in a good long time. Enter craftiness! Inspired by the cardigan applique-ing skills demonstrated by E. of academichic (but feeling wary of the iron and my propensity for burning myself with it), I [...]

37. Anna says:

Nice color combination. :)

38. Bethany says:

I realize this post is from a while ago, but it is so cute! I have a cardi with some moth holes that I wanted to applique, but it is (very narrowly) ribbed, more like the trim on the sweater you used. Do you have any suggestions?