Up Next

February 28th, 2010 § 10 comments

When you’re tired of your winter wardrobe and struggle to find inspiration through the last cold weeks before spring…what do you do? All three of us at Academichic, nerds that we are, do some of our best creative thinking under pressure. So, to help us make it through March we’re planning four Fashion 101′s in quick succession with topics chosen from your suggestions.

Week One: Cardigans

Week Two: Tights

Week Three: Belts (Hey! No eye rolling!)

Week Four: Jackets and Blazers

If you have specific questions or issues that you’d like to see addressed, feel free to leave us a comment or send us an e-mail. We’re excited to push ourselves to experiment with old standards and articulate rules of thumb that we’ve found useful. The fun starts Monday. Stay tuned…

§ 10 Responses to Up Next"

1. PL says:

I’ve always had issues with belting over multiple layers, especially over cardigans. I find that when I belt over a cardigan, there’s too much bunching, and I end up forgoing the look. I usually just belt under the cardigan which gives a nice look from the front but doesn’t give me a defined waist all the way around. Any suggestions? Am I using the wrong type of belts?

2. Mind if I play along on my blog? I’ve always worked well within a structured curriculum, and while I’ve been wearing tights and belts a lot lately, I’d like some impetus to stretch myself a little when it comes to cardigans and my poor, neglected blazer selection.

3. Katie says:

I’ve never been good at putting cardigans over anything but the thinnest of layers. I’ve tried them over button-downs, etc., but the layers bunch, I can see the lines of the bottom layer through the cardigan, and it always looks like I’m smuggling small rodents under my cardigan for all the odd lumps and bumps. Any suggestions?

4. LB says:

I would love some tips on how to wear a pinstripe blazer without looking like I belong at the world’s most boring law firm. Staying tuned for Week 4!

5. J. says:

While I’m not sure I’d be super-interested in jackets and blazers, I look forward to seeing how it plays into your looks. Maybe I can get some interest in it.

6. Jessica says:

Yay! I’m so ready to be inspired. You three have already given me great new ways to wear items I already own. I can’t wait to see what you come up with next. I love these tutorials!
    Thank you!

7. Joni says:

The upcoming topics sound great. I do have an ongoing concern with tights. Do you know of any slick tights that won’t cling to unlined skirts? This is especially a problem when I wear a lighter “summer” cotton skirt with tights in the winter and with my denim skirts that catch my tights around the knees. I struggle with keeping a slip in place as they tend to migrate a bit during the day.

8. Allison K. says:

I have a question about cardigans….as a plus sized woman with large breasts, I always feel like cardigans look frumpy on me. I know none of you are plus sized, but do you have any thoughts on cardigans for the plus sized gal?
    Thanks!

9. Becca L says:

I’m excited for your posts on belts, which I’ve never been able to figure out. I’m teaching college courses now and I feel like adding belts to my repertoire would help me to look more polished and professional. I’m also looking for pointers on jackets and blazers, particularly since they are such a financial investment for someone on a small budget. Thanks for this website!It is definitely inspiring me to try to look good in the classroom.

10. [...] against the bold large buffalo plaid. Stripes on Plaid, originally uploaded by academichic. Reader Kaite asked for advice on layering a cardigan over a button down.  I have sported this look many times so I thought I would share some of my [...]