25 February 2010

February 25th, 2010 § 17 comments

25 February 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Jacket: Banana Republic Factory
  • Top: thrifted
  • Scarf as belt: courtesy of Echo Design
  • Pants: Old Navy
  • Pumps: Madden Girl, DSW

If our scarf month has made anything clear to me, it’s that I my collection was missing a good, patterned silk scarf. I say “was,” because the good folks at Echo Design graciously sent us some scarves to play with, including this long, narrow estate scrolls scarf. At first glance it may seem like a surprising choice for me, but I love the stylized, swirling vines and I think the red and tan color combination will actually prove surprisingly versatile.

Especially for renewed attempts at pattern mixing.

25 February 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

I actually really love how these patterns look together — the geometric diamonds with the more organic scrolls — and the color combination is classic as well. I’m excited to try this scarf out in other iterations, including as a “blouse” under a blazer or cardigan.

Finally, I’ve loved readings everyone’s comments on A.’s post about dressing for different audiences and identity groups. As you can probably tell from my post about dressing to announce a cultural affinity back in January and Sally’s guest post on style and the social self, this is a big, recurring question that we all return to frequently. And yet, there’s always more to say!

25 February 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

§ 17 Responses to 25 February 2010"

1. Sally says:

That is a truly inspired pattern mix – and you’re right, the softness of one really compliments the hard edges of the other.

2. mamichan says:

fantastic print mix!

3. Jane W. says:

KILLER pattern mix!!!

4. Kate B says:

Yes, a fantastic print mix. But also, can I just tell you how great you look in that length of pant? I remember you saying you were uneasy about it, and maybe more so after reading how supposedly difficult that length is to wear, but it looks so great on you. I too love that length and rock it despite warnings against it, and I feel like it works for me. It’s a geeky chic aesthetic.

5. Ariana says:

I love the pattern mixing here – I’ve only done it a couple of times, but I’m usually pleased with the result. I actually started my own blog yesterday (inspired by you guys, I must say) and my first outfit was pattern mixed! You guys are awesome and have really help shape my style into something that I know is finally ME. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

6. Ooh, that is a nice pattern mixing, and the blazer with the slim pants with a bit of ankle poking out is nice too. It is not at all warm enough for bare feet yet here.

7. socogrl says:

I fully agree with the comments here. I love the unexpectedness of the mix of patterns and colors. The shrunken proportions and silhouette work for you, but may be hard to pull off for other body types.

8. andie says:

I love this look on you. Very pretty! And I love it even more because I realized that the print on your shirt is the same as the print on my dress that I’m wearing today! :)

9. k says:

i love these two patterns mixed – and the whole outfit has a bit of a spring vibe that i’m craving right now.

10. Nothing could go wrong if you pair blue and orange together :)

11. sabrina says:

Love the colors, and it’s great that you mixed the different sleeve lengths and the shirt/jacket lengths. Lots of “textural” interest here (I think I read that phrase on this blog).

12. Desiree says:

That scarf is beautiful! I love it against the blue.

13. Goannatree says:

I love love love this look. and the photos. Seriously, you look great. The pattern mixing is inspired and reminds me of some timeless japanese style pattern mixes. You pull off that pant length just right too – i can’t do the slightly shorter leg..

Did i mention i love this look? I am inspired!

14. Lauren says:

What a lovely mix of patterns – and one that I would never have thought of before. I have alwasy enjoyed navy and gold, and navy and red, so why not combine the two.

A gorgeous outfit!

I love the contrast of patterns and colors! What a sleek, gorgeous outfit.

16. Andrea says:

This may have been addressed in a previous post but I did a quick search and couldn’t find it: When you wear a scarf as a belt, how do you tie it in the back? What do you do with the extra tails etc?