24 February 2010 – Notes from Home

February 24th, 2010 § 28 comments

24 February 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

I’m back in the Midwest! Hence the radio silence from my end of things lately. I spent Monday traveling back home for a two-week stay with my husband, pets, and friends. It’s so wonderful to be home and to be enjoying the familiar things that I haven’t had access to since last September when I left for Europe. While I didn’t spend too much time missing my closet while abroad, I can’t lie, it is nice to have all of these clothes and accessories at my disposal again. I feel like I’ve just gone on a huge shopping spree – I have so much stuff here. It’s almost sinful, really.

Yesterday, T. and I celebrated our five year (dating) anniversary by going out for dinner at my favorite restaurant in town. It was a casual affair, so I didn’t feel the need to dress up too much. Instead, I was excited to pull out a ‘new’ scarf from my abandoned stash at home and to build an outfit around that. This pretty bohemian piece, comprised of mostly purples and pinks, provided the inspiration for this color scheme.

Purples and Pinks, originally uploaded by academichic.

I chose this fuchsia cord skirt and the purple top to echo the colors in the scarf. To avoid looking like Rainbow Brite, I added several neutrals to help tone down the color scheme of this outfit. Grays, tans, and browns mute the bold fuchsia and purple pairing and provide a softer end effect than black or navy might have. As for the scarf tying technique applied here – I just looped the scarf twice around the turtle neck collar of the sweater, tied the ends together, and tucked the knot under the first loop to hide it.

Now I could write more, but I have an overly excited and impatient dog pawing at my leg and trying to lick the computer screen in order to get my attention, so I think this is my cue to sign off. Happy Hump Day (and Braid Wednesday), everyone! S.

24 February 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 28 Responses to 24 February 2010 – Notes from Home"

1. Jane W. says:

I love that “wheat” color–it looks great against the fuschia and purple.

2. Bea says:

This outfit is so adorable! I love the way you used these colors.

3. Ariana says:

When I saw this I literally went “ooooh” and saved it under my inspiration file. I love this look – I’m the type of person that wears either a ton of colors, or just neutrals, and this balances the two out so nicely! Maybe I’ll try neutrals WITH colors today and see how that works…

Did you leave your suitcases in Europe since you’re home for just two weeks?

4. chrissy says:

Welcome home! I love this outfit – the skirt is especially cute.

5. G says:

Very cute outfit- bet if feels great to be home- it shows on your face! Have a great holiday!

6. Welcome back. I love the color of your skirt – such a nice change in the snowy weather.

7. futurelint says:

Ooh, how exciting to come back to all the old familiar things! Have fun with the hubs (and the closet)! Love the bright scarf and that skirt is just perfect with it!

8. Sally says:

Welcome home, at least for a bit, S! I never think to mix brights and jewel tones with warm neutrals like brown … but I adore this combination of colors.

9. Christa says:

Love this outfit, the colors are fantastic! I love this skirt!

10. EmilyKennedy says:

I LOVE how you styled that skirt! It’s so great! This is the type of item I would never know how to wear. You rocked it!

11. lopi says:

Wow, this has to be my favourite outfit of yours so far! I just love how you incorporated that strong fuchsia colour into the whole outfit in such harmony. Well, I think I love the fuchsia skirt on its own as well. I’d love to see more outfits with it!

12. miss-zola says:

your best post/outfit ever!

13. Kelly says:

LOVE it!!! I have a blazer that is that same fuchsia color and it is a lot of fun to play around with. Great job with the color scheme.

14. Julia says:

I love it – this is one of my favorite looks of yours I think! I like the neutrals to balance out the fuschia and purple – just beautiful!

(and your hair looks amazing!)

15. Desiree says:

I adore the color of this skirt. It is beautiful on you!

16. Chelsea says:

Oh this look is just fabulous, what a pretty scarf! And the neutrals totally break/mix up the bold berry colors… I’m going to keep this in mind of my more colorful outfits for sure.

Oh and it must be so fun to have all those clothes at your disposal! Also, I didn’t realize you were away from your hubby while in Europe… you must be one happy lady right about now :)

P.S. Your hair looks amazing!

17. jentine says:

Yeah!!!! home time with family, friends and pets! It’s funny how much you can miss your pets!
    I love how you toned down the brights with neutrals. Purple and pink look great with brown.
    Oh ya… your braid is wicked…

18. M.E.J. says:

That’s wonderful S., you look so happy!
    Enjoy your time at home.
    The outfit is nice, I especially like the scarf.

19. This may be my favorite S. outfit ever! I love the colors, the textures- everything!

20. admin says:

Thanks, everyone! Wow, such a positive response to this color combo makes me want to try this kind of color scheme more often. S.

The pink is so fabulous! I love the whole look. And I’m so happy that you got a chance to come home to see people for a bit!

22. Welcome home!! You really knocked it out of the ballpark with this one. I really love it. The color combination is amazing and all the details are just right. I also wanted to tell you that your hair is looking fantastic!

23. Dottie says:

Welcome back to the Midwest. You did not miss much other than snow.

The pink really pops, but at the same time looks soft and romantic. Also, braid!

24. E says:

Ooh. I love what your hair is doing these days. It’s so curly and I love the braid. This is a beautiful outfit.

25. Aww that is a nice date outfit. Have fun with your doggie! :)

26. That scarf with those two tops is genius!

27. Julia says:

I would love to see a tutorial on how you did that braid!! It looks awesome!!!