10 February 2010

February 10th, 2010 § 38 comments

10 February 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Pale pink top – TJMaxx
  • Navy vest – thrifted
  • Jeans – Old Navy Flirt
  • Boots – Dillards
  • Scarf – J.Crew

Some time ago I came across the following picture from a Herm├Ęs ad campaign and saved it in my “Inspiration” folder on my desktop. I was saving the idea for warmer summer days, but since we’re now celebrating scarf month, I figured I might as well give it a try already. I don’t usually wear hair scarves as much during the winter months but they’re a beloved staple in the summer. They’re great for keeping your (frizzy) hair out of your face and for adding that carefree boho chic look to a summer ensemble.

So here is my interpretation of this dramatic look:

This works really well with a long narrow light-weight scarf. (The same kind that work well as belts). I just tied the scarf around my head and made a knot at the nape of my neck. I then took the ends of the scarf and weaved them in with my hair into a side braid. Once the braid it complete, you can pull on the hair and scarf fabric a bit to loosen it up and show the scarf off more. I then tied the braid together with a hair elastic that I consequently hid under the scarf ends, which got wrapped around the elastic and tied off in a knot. This was a simple and quick way to add a little flair to a classic hairdo.
Keeping the rest of this look simple gives the hair scarf a chance to pop. I played off the colors in the scarf by wearing a pale pink top under a navy vest, added jeans and boots, and was ready to go. S.

10 February 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , ,

§ 38 Responses to 10 February 2010"

1. catherine_sr says:

You look great, and I love the curved bottom of your vest. I wish I had curly hair so I could rock that hair scarf the way you do!

2. J. says:

Way cute outfit, and I definitely think the scarf brings the entire look together. Too bad I don’t have long hair at the moment, but Catherine, straight hair can definitely work with a head scarf! I stick bobby pins in on either side of my head to keep the scarf, ribbon, headband in place. Or I just curl my hair. =P

3. emm says:

What a cool way to use a scarf! Love those outdoor photos, too.

S., this is nothing short of amazing. It completely changes the vibe of the outfit, and draws so much (well-deserved) attention to your beautiful hair! Plus, the fun springtime color doesn’t hurt one bit. I love this, and am majorly wishing for my long curly hair to grow back at will so I can try it, too!

5. Jane Winkler says:

What an idyllic photo! The scarf really shows off your hair, and the hot pink color is great with your skin tone.

6. Kendi says:

You are too cute. First off I am envious of your hair. I’ve always wanted curly hair, and you pull it off so well! Second, hands down you are the best vest wearer I’ve ever seen. I love this outfit! Third, your pictures are so pretty! Those trees are amazing!

7. joceline says:

I absolutely love this. You look so elegant and fresh, especially among those trees! Also, the vest is great!

8. Kasmira says:

What a great idea! I’ll have to remember this for when my hair is long again.

I think this would be a great way to add volume to a skimpy braid. It would also be nice braided or twisted in and then all fastened up into a bun.

9. Sara says:

I love this way of wearing a scarf! I’m so going to try this in the summertime when my hair is a bit longer. I also LOVE that vest. You look so lovely!

10. Desiree says:

This looks awesome. I wish my hair was long enough to do that now!

11. angie~* says:

Oh my god, S! This is amazing! I tried doing this to my hair with a LARGE scuare scarf folded a million times to make it resemble a long thin scarf but it didn’t work, plus my hair’s just a tad too short. I love this look. You never sieze to amaze me with your outfits. I just have 2 questions…
    1. I see snow in your pictures yet you don’t seem to be wearing a jacket. Don’t you end up shivering on the way to uni? Or do u throw on a jacket after taking the photos?
    2. Is it possible for you to add a picture of this fabulous scarf so we can all see how long and how thin it actually is? I’m contemplating buying some soft scarf-like material if I have to, just so i can wear it in my hair like this. This is one of my favourite outfits so far! U rock, S! Makes me feel like going out and getting more scarves. At the moment mine are all long rectengular scarves..mostly plain coloured or with paisly prints. Sorry this is kind of long. I just wanted to say you guys are amazing and this look is Fabulous!

12. chrissy says:

I love this look! One of your best yet. I think I need to create an inspiration folder. :)

13. Liz says:

That vest is so cute! Any tricks for keeping the headscarf in place? I try to do this but it just slips! Maybe me head is an odd shape :)

14. Julia says:

Lovely! Navy and light pink are one of my favorite color combinations. I love the vest, the scarf and braid! Beautiful!

15. Lucy says:

Simply charming! You know you’ve got a winner outfit on your hands when your readers (me included) suddenly all want to have long, wavy hair and rounded vintage vests :)

16. Beth B says:

Verrry cute!! Great idea! Now if only my hair was long enough to do that. :-)

17. Rose says:

I love this. It is very cute, casual, and interesting. I would have never thought to do that (not that I could because my hair is too short for that). I hope to see other renditions of this style on you in the future. I think that you were right to keep the rest of the outfit simple. Nice one S.

18. Kelly says:

I LOVE this! So cool.

19. EmilyKennedy says:

This outfit is so lovely. It’s the detail around the neck, the way the vest creates a lovely shape, the mixture of navy, pale pink, and the camel color in the boots. It’s really pretty.

20. Shannon says:

The enchanting forest has enchanted me!

21. I love this idea! I’ll have to try that sometime :)

22. Mariel says:

i, too, bookmarked this photo when the ad first came out, and I love how well you’ve pulled off the look for winter! Sadly, my short hair doesn’t seem like it will work well with a braid.

23. Beth Ritzman says:

I’m SO going to try that! I’m really diggin’ all the scarf variations you ladies are bringing your readers.
    Beth/BabyEtte

24. Kyla says:

I LOVE how this looks! I will definitely be trying this out.

25. admin says:

Thanks, everyone, for such nice comments!

@Angie – it is cold here and I wear a big down coat that I just remove for the time it takes me to get a few pictures taken. I’m not super sensitive to the cold, so I can usually stand being without a coat for a good ten minutes while I snap some shots.

As for the scarf – I will try to take a picture with it showing its length soon and then I will post it.

@Liz – try bobby pinning the sides down, use a bobby pin to secure to scarf to your head just by your ears, that works really well.

S

26. Chelsea says:

Okay, that is way cool! The scarf TOTALLY adds a touch of frill to an otherwise understated look. You look great :)

27. spacegeek says:

Oh my don’t you look fabulous! I’m going to tell my sister about this one–her hair is uberthick, curly and long and she’s always looking for ways to tame it.

You look somehow very whimsical yet pulled together. Brava!

28. Leproust says:

I just adore how you styled your scarf! You did such a wonderful job of taking your inspiration photo and transitioning it into everyday! Gorgeous!

29. Weave with the hair, of course! Very cute. Hope you did not get sick from the cold :)

30. T. says:

You look like you are in a fairy tale. I love your style.

31. this outfit is so pretty and totally proof that you don’t need to be elaborate or overdone to look amazing. some days simplicity is just the thing.
    and your hair continues to amaze me. i am green with envy for your gorgeous thick curls!

32. E says:

Now I wish I had long hair! Maybe Academichic can do a tutorial showing how to use a scarf on shorter hair? The only thing I can think of is a headband scarf. I really like this look.

33. sabrina says:

S, this first picture looks like a scene out of a magical realist novel, with the lovely moss and the beautiful colors of your outfit. Is this what you really see on your way to work every day?
    And I love the use of the scarf, and I especially love that you used an advertisement for a style idea, totally unrelated to the product placement. Really clever!

34. jentine says:

Love both the Hermes ad (I know there is an accent on there but I have no clue how to put it on with my computer…:() and your recreation. This is going to look so pretty come summer too…

35. [...] nabbed this hair scarf tutorial from Academichic what feels like forever ago. I was a bit slow getting ready this morning, and had somewhere to be [...]

36. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really
    well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post.
    I will certainly return.