29 January 2010

January 29th, 2010 § 11 comments

29 January 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Polka dot dress – Target
  • Navy cardi – vintage, my grandmother’s from the 60s
  • Purple tights – grocery store
  • Gray wedges – Report, via Solestruck.com
  • Necklace – Anthropologie
  • Book – A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian, Marina Lewycka (soo good!)

I’m wrapping up our Tribute Week with one more must-read blog: I think I noticed Andrea’s site right away because the name of it so stood out to me on other people’s blogrolls: A Cat of Impossible Colour. How can you not love a name like that? While the name drew me in, her gorgeous vintage outfits and her brilliantly written posts are what made me a regular reader. Andrea is a writer, which means that her site is a mix of outfit and writerly goodness. I found myself perusing her archives on writing advice more than once when I was trying my hand at NaNoWriMo and I find myself looking at her outfit shots any time I need some inspiration on pattern mixing, on dressing up, or on layering with elegance and polish. Andrea is also a girl after my own heart with her love of polka dots…

andrea 2

So for this Andrea inspired tribute post, I pulled out my black and white polka dot dress and added a vintage cardigan that has belonged to my grandmother since the 60s (this based on my mother saying she remembers it from when she was a little girl). Vintage-inspired shoes and accessories complete the look.

One other thing I loved about Andrea – and Sal of Already Pretty - is her/their magnanimous support of fellow bloggers. Andrea’s and Sal’s blogrolls were one of the very first to feature our name and it felt like such a huge deal when we got started. I know that there is some contention on the blogosphere about whether you should limit or restrict your blogroll to only reflect your favorites or your daily reads or blogs with a similar aesthetic to yours. While there is nothing wrong with structuring your blogroll like that, I think I will always be a loyal follower of A Cat of Impossible Colour and Already Pretty because they were some of my first blogger ‘friends’ who right away welcomed us aboard and added us to a list of other style bloggers, making me really feel like part of something. So thanks for that, ladies! S.

29 January 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

§ 11 Responses to 29 January 2010"

1. Sally says:

Who could NOT adore Andrea’s distinctive style?

And thanks for the shout-out, S! You ladies have done a fantastic job making an accessible, welcoming, visually inspiring blog from day one, so it’s only natural that I’d pop you into my blogroll. ;)

2. Laura says:

I love the polkadots!!! I’ve stumbled upon your site a couple of times but randomly and just felt like saying hello this time. I always enjoy what you’re wearing and discussing so keep it up! (Way to go on the vintage! That’s my favorite to wear!)

3. Diana says:

I’ve been following Andrea’s blog since I first started too, and her beautiful vintage outfits continue to inspire me. I love your take on her look!

4. andie says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this look. So cute and vintage feeling.

Totally digging that cardi!

5. Luinae says:

I love “A Cat of Impossible Colour!” She was the one who originally inspired me to do NaNoWriMo. Without her, I never would have wrote a novel.

6. Amanda B. says:

I LOVE the vintage cardi. Totally jealous that your grandma kept all that great vintage stuff to pass down :)

Amanda

7. Andrea says:

Aw, thank you so much for your kind words – I feel really overwhelmed. I’m so glad that I’ve managed to give you some inspiration, and I hope you know that you and the other ladies at Academichic inspire me greatly too. I really appreciate the thought and meticulous attention to detail that you put into your blog posts, and I always refer people to you when they want some practical advice on dressing.

A xx

8. I love a girl who loves polka dots. This is a cute look :)

9. catherine_sr says:

I think the colored tights and contrasting shoes, along with the polka dots, definitely capture Andrea’s look! I love this series — my favorite part of it is scrolling down your site and trying to guess who each one of you is channeling in your outfits! I also like how your cardigan has family history — I have a few things from my grandmother and I adore them (just as I adore her).

10. nalani says:

Thanks for this post and the recommendation of another great blog.

11. Kendi says:

Those shoes are fantastic! I’m now on the look out for some patent grey heels. Love the dress and the cardigan — too cute.

Kendi