29 January 2010

January 29th, 2010 § 17 comments

29 January 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Button down: husband’s, thrifted
  • Navy blazer: Banana Republic Factory Store
  • Sweater for warmth (hidden): Forever 21
  • Black skinnies: Old Navy
  • Necklace: Target
  • Black crinkled patent pumps: Steve Madden Girl, via DSW

If you squint your eyes just a bit you may be able to catch on that today I’m tipping my metaphorical hat to the inimitable archibald maximillion who, while not a style blogger per se, is a style demigoddess in the wardrobe_remix community over on Flickr. She started documenting her daily outfits (and I do mean daily) around the same time that we did, so we got to be wardrobe_remix newbies together.

Archibald Maximillion (henceforth referred to as “Archie,” since that’s what I call her in my head) has one of the most unique and Fabulous-with-a-capital-F personal styles I’ve ever seen. She mixes high end designer pieces with thrifted gems, creating looks that are always stunning. She plays blithely with proportions and textures, pairing items that I would have never, ever considered as possible partners.

archibaldmaximillion

At first I was frankly overwhelmed by Archie’s style. After all, I think it is unlikely that I will ever own a pale pink Trelise Cooper blouse with three huge bows running down the front, much less pair it with a green jacket and gold floral skirtand pull it off. Eventually, however, I realized that I could pull valuable style cues from Archie’s looks and translate that into my own more conservative wardrobe.

The biggest lesson I’ve learned is the art of taming the poofy. One of Archibald Maximillion’s signature moves is to wear a structured piece — a cropped jacket or a little vest — over a voluminous blouse or dress. And that’s what I’m trying to emulate today. Without the little blazer over it, my husband’s shirt looks rather ridiculous and shapeless on me. But, ah, with a bit of structure, things are contained without being stuffy.

(Except for the unrolled cuff. I apparently need to work on my cuffing skills.)

As these tributes have hopefully demonstrated, there’s a lot to be gained by following style bloggers whose styles may not necessarily reflect our own. It becomes personal in translation and it’s folks like Archibald Maximillion that first inspired me to think outside my comfortable style box and to take more risks — and as a result, have more fun! — with my closet.

Necklace Detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

29 January 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

§ 17 Responses to 29 January 2010"

1. Ana says:

Super cute, love it! This amuses me because I wore one of my husband’s very large (on me) white button-down shirts yesterday.

- Ana

2. Amanda B. says:

I love this outfit, though I’d probably roll the sleeves up a tad more so they weren’t hanging out. It’s perfect with the cropped skinnies though.

I need an SO to steal shirts from, ha!

Amanda

3. Farrielle says:

Love this look, and I love Archie’s style.

4. You look so adorable in that last picture. You pull off this look so well and it would be a fantastic alternative to the stuffy suit.

Have a great weekend!

fashiontherapist.blogspot.com

5. Jade says:

I love Archie too, and the fact that for 365 days she never repeated an outfit- crazy! I loved this week with all of you creating looks inspired by other bloggers, you all have spotlighted girls who are new to me, thanks!

6. Yours is a cute look. Very academe appropriate of her style. Love it. :)

7. catherine_sr says:

I love archibald maximillion’s style, she’s one of my w_r favorites! You do a great job of channeling her look, while at the same time making it distinctly yours.

8. Christine says:

Ugh, I know!!! She is so insanely stylish and a genius at playing with volume! I’m in awe of her every day! Plus she is so super-duper nice and supportive! Love your interpretation!

9. I just wanted to say thanks again for including me in ‘tribute week’! I am so flattered to be included alongside such wonderfully stylish people! xx

10. Claire says:

Great look! Fab jacket and good call to put it with oversized shirt, unique look!

11. MusingAround says:

I dig! Adding “Tame the Poof” to my list of things to do. And thanks for the link to Archie.

12. Diana says:

I love this outfit! I usually feel baffled when trying to figure out how to style button downs, and this looks fantastic.

13. Sarah says:

I’ve been hesitating over whether the cropped skinnies (I have them in brown and black corduroy from J Crew) are appropriate TA-wear. I’ll totally wear them to seminar, but whether to teach in them… but… after this post, I think so!

14. [...] grounding the poof — per Archibald Maximillion’s influence — with a lined, structured jacket with a strong shoulder and low stance. I initially had no [...]

15. Percocet addiction….

Percocet 512. Percocet. Percocet addiction….

16. site says:

Do you have to rely on your country to give you something all the time, think out of the box and improvise on how you would earn more than what employment can offer, CNBC investing may help.
    The ship owner could see that the captain had paid the on going rate and the merchants were all given the same opportunities to offer their services.
    With this mobile phone you will be able to program it
    to recognize your own handwriting alone.

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for
    site