28 January 2010

January 28th, 2010 § 20 comments

28 January 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Button down – vintage, thrifted in Germany
  • Skinnies – thrifted in Germany
  • Gray wedges – Report, via Solestruck.com
  • Purple cadi – H&M

This week we’re looking back to some of our first blogging inspirations. One of the first wardrobe_remixers I bookmarked was Future Lint. Here’s a girl who does not shy away from color, pattern, or from crazy vintage pieces… and I love that! I also happen to think that anyone who dresses up as a pregnant cheerleader is someone I’d like to hang out with. Future Lint describes herself as a lover of thrifting, biking, and DIY’ing, so she had me from the get-go. I used to be much more conservative in my thrifting approach, and as E. once mentioned, often looked for pieces that didn’t look thrifted. When I discovered Future Lint’s photostream, I realized how much fun thrifting and vintage shopping could be. Here was a girl with a wardrobe that just begged to be noticed: full of fun details, eye catching color combinations, awesome one-of-a-kind pieces, and overall cheerfulness that I found contagious.

future lint 8

So when I came across this crazy vintage shirt on my last thrifting expedition, I instantly thought of Future Lint. This seemed like the kind of shirt she’d wear and wear beautifully, but I found myself a bit intimidated by it. It’s just so colorful and loud and I was tempted to put it back. Only I couldn’t, I sort of fell in love with it and even found myself reasoning that this was something Anthropologie might sell…right? Do you see it?

Shirt detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

Well, I am so glad I had a Little Future Lint sitting on my shoulder and nudging me to buy it because I love this shirt. It makes me happy just to be in the same room with it. Stay tuned for lots more outfit combinations with this one. For starters, I let it take center stage with a pair of black skinny jeans and gray wedges. And the purple cardi is dark enough that it almost works like another neutral thrown over it.

It seems like my running theme of this week is ‘thrifted fabulosity’. All of my initial style blogger crushes have that one thing in common: they’re all thrift and vintage goddesses, making fabulous outfits out of previously loved clothing. I forgot about that for a while and it wasn’t until I came abroad and found myself on a really tight budget that I truly rediscovered my love of thirfting. In addition to thrifting, I also want to follow these ladies’ example in DIY’ing more this year. I’m going to attempt to be more handy with my own acquisitions, not letting slight alterations deter me from overlooking a great find. So thanks, ladies, for reminding me what got me so excited about blogging and participating in the style blog community when we first got started! I have one more vintage and thrift goddess to celebrate tomorrow, so check back for my conclusion of Tribute Week on Friday. S.

28 January 2010 – With Cardi, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 20 Responses to 28 January 2010"

1. futurelint says:

Wow! I am beyond flattered! That shirt is so cool, I love the shape of the trees and hills! Really, thanks so much for the recognition, I’ve always admired your style as well!

2. Sally says:

Christine is a true original! I’ve had the pleasure of meeting her, and I can say it’s the gospel truth. And that blouse is a FANTASTIC find! What a fun, funky print.

3. lauren says:

i really like the shirt and i love the way you have it under the black cardigan with black pants. that looks awesome! :)

4. evanadine says:

that top is absolutely amazing on its own, but its even more “you” with the cardi paired over it and just little hints of the fabric peeking out. there are so many bloggers who are such great thrifters, and i wish they would come visit me and help me shop!

5. kjlangford says:

I LOVE it with the Cardigan. love.

6. Erin says:

I love the shirt! It’s goofy and lighthearted in all the best ways. The oversized buttons are a great detail.

I have a suggestion: I think you should post about all the things you’ve thrifted in Germany. Maybe I’m just imagining this, but I feel like you’ve come into a number of excellent finds. I also would love to hear more about how a different culture views second-hand shopping. Is there a distinction between vintage/consignment shops and something like Goodwill/Savers?

Keep up the fine fashion with a twist of levity — my favorite! :D

7. MusingAround says:

I too have those moments in thrift stores where I go, would I buy this if it was at Anthropologie. Well, the last time it was over a butter dish, but still.

8. Jane W. says:

That’s it! I’m moving to Europe!!!! That shirt is GREAT.

9. Mar says:

I am actually kind of freaking out about how much I love your outfit. Those skinnies & wedges look fantastic on you! Maybe I should give skinnies a go, since you’ve just proven that you don’t have to be a runway model to rock the skinnies without a pair of ginormous boots to balance your hips out…

10. EmilyKennedy says:

That print is really beautiful!

11. harrytimes says:

Are you kidding me with this blog? It’s fantastic! I am so excited to have found you (through a friend who became a fan of yours on Facebook), and I wish I would have found you while I was still in school– before I became another frumpy PhD.

May I link to you on my sidebar? This blog fill a huge void.

12. Kyla says:

Those jeans look amazing on you!

13. M.E.J. says:

That one is indeed a “happy” shirt! The print has a 70s vibe and yes, it’s bold, but you’re not the kind of gal who fears bold prints, right?
    I see really cool outfits with it as a foundation coming by spring, and I see a nice european bike going along with all of it.
    I also wanted to say you seem to have lost some weight (and it looks good :). I comment about it because I’ve been losing weight too, and I wanted to ask for some tricks on wearing things that start to fit loosely, especially pants. Any advice on that matter?

14. Katrina says:

Wow, this is so awesome S!! I totally agree that Future lint has stellar style, her penchant for brights & crazy vintage patterns is so inspiring. And she wears it so darn well. You do a lovely interpretation.

This outfit is so much fun, and so perfect as a tribute to Christine!

16. Erika says:

I love this shirt on you, S. You’ve styled it very well (playing the sophisticated lower half off the exuberant top).

17. Megan says:

The shirt is awesome! And it seems like just the thing to make a dreary winter day a little better.

18. admin says:

Thanks for all your comments, everyone!

@Erin – yes, good food for thought – I will definitely think about some post on what I’ve accumulated while thrifting here…it may be a bit until I get it done because I have some upcoming work deadlines, but if nothing else, it would be a great idea for a year’s sum-up post when I pack to head home. Thanks for the idea!

@Mar – rock the skinnies!! It took me a while to built up the confidence to wear them without boots, but now I can’t get enough of them. And I’m definitely not particularly tall or skinny. I especially love a dark wash, like these black ones I just picked up.

@Harrytimes – thank you! We would be honored to make it to your sidebar! :)

@M.E.J. – haha, that’s funny, I don’t own a scale and don’t really weigh myself, but I’ve been running a lot more in addition to the fact that I walk everywhere here, so it’s likely that I look slimmer. Thank you :) It’s not a big enough difference though where I’ve had to do much with my clothing, I would say belting looser tops or cardigans, even where the cardigan sides *overlap* rather than meet up would probably emphasize a newly slimmed waist. As for pants, if the size change isn’t too drastic, a belt will work. If they start to look too baggy/bunchy, you might want to go ahead and treat yourself to a smaller size wardrobe. Good for you for making a healthy change and keep up the good work! S.

19. Lucy says:

Your outfits always rock my mornings, S., but today you really outdid yourself. I would have never thought to pair a red, (sky?) blue, and green top with a purple cardi, and now I’m hit by how limited my (colour) vision is. I own a purple cord pencil skirt that is a similar intensity (though not hue) as your cardi, and, while I love it and would not want to part with it, I had run out of ideas on how to wear it. Now I have at least three new colourways to play with. Thank you.

Speaking of colours: I am often frustrated at the beginning of each season as to the colour-appropriateness of my wardrobe. In the last few years, I’ve concentrated on building a wardrobe in my most flattering (rather than trendy) colours, and yet, as the people at Pantone reveal their colour forecast for each new season, I go through a period of deep dissatisfaction with what the rational part of me knows is a perfectly good closet. Does this ever happen to any of you? Any thoughts or strategies on how to deal with this particular brand of “full-closet-but-nothing-to-wear” predicament?

20. This is a fresh and spring-y outfit. Love this. Perfect tribute to Future Lint’s take on pattern and color. :)