27 January 2010

January 27th, 2010 § 18 comments

27 January 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Blue ombre scarf: Chinatown, NYC
  • Blue green sweater: The Limited
  • Cream wool skirt: Isaac Hazan, vintage, thrifted
  • Herringbone tights: HUE, from TJ Maxx
  • Pumps: AM, from DSW
  • Gray gloves: gift from MIL, from Ann Taylor Loft

Like S., I am paying tribute to Jessica Schroeder of What I Wore with today’s outfit. I’ve been following Jessica’s blog literally for years and it has been exciting to watch her come into her own professionally and personally as her style has evolved. While S. cites Jess’s penchant for skinny jeans, I’m giving a nod to another facet of her style.

whatiworejess

I love how Jessica wears skirts and dresses throughout the winter, adding scarves, playing with patterned and bright opaque tights, and donning gloves and little hats. Her penchant for vintage pieces frequently translates into sweet looks that have “lady” written all over them.

Vintage Flower Earrings, originally uploaded by academichic.

AM Ruffled Black Suede Pumps, originally uploaded by academichic.

I’m wearing a vintage cream wool pencil skirt — incidentally, Jessica was my initial inspiration for wearing winter white — with a simple blue-green sweater. My homage to What I Wore style comes with the soft blue scarf, long gray gloves, and herringbone tights. While my personal style may be different than Jess’s, I’m continually inspired by how she makes vintage and ladylike style an everyday possibility.

Patterned Tights, originally uploaded by academichic.

27 Janaury 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

§ 18 Responses to 27 January 2010"

1. Debbie says:

Your outfit is so pretty and very chic! I love the colors in the scarf with that sweater.

2. I too really love the way Jessica puts together her dress/skirt outfits. I do have to say she’s the closest thing to a celebrity in the fashion blogger community.

3. Alisha says:

The color palette of your outfit is beautiful. The scarf and shirt goes particularly well together. The cream skirt is an excellent combination with the teal tones of your upper half. You’ve just inspired me to pair teal and cream now! And those long, gray gloves are gorgeous. :)

4. Luinae says:

I actually think your shoes are the favourite part of this outfit. I don’t know why, but they really stand out to me!

5. Jade says:

Wow… I am loving this look. (I too oftentimes try to recreate Jessica’s looks!) But you make this all your own.

6. Sharon says:

Just came across your website today! It’s quite amazing.. you ladies are marvelous.. great sense of style :)

Take care!! Love & Aloha..

7. Desiree says:

I love everything about this! The earrings are fabulous! The winter white is so chic. The grey is amazing!

8. Anna says:

Love love LOVE this outfit E.! I knew right away that it was a Jessica inspired outfit, because I’m also a big fan of hers, but I love how you made it your own, the color combination is lovely!

9. Faux Naïf says:

aargh, i’m having a total bloggasm (and simultaneously banging my head against a wall). HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS BLOG. what justifies my ignorance? ill luck, surely.

your blog is the best. intelligent women + elegance + academia? my three prime ingredients for happiness, basically.

that skirt is beautiful, by the by. you look so wonderful.

10. megannielsen says:

Super cute E! I think you pulled the look off perfectly.

11. Kathleen says:

E., this outfit is divine on you!

12. Jessica says:

E! Darling! You look amazing!! I’m taking notes from YOU on this one! The color combo is so… perfect! Well done!

xoxo
    Jess

13. V says:

so chic!! love it.

14. Dawn says:

Wow! You look amazing and so sophisticated!

15. MusingAround says:

I got the Jessica vibe even before reading the text. Great look! The silhouette is just gorgeous and I love the play on color.

You do a perfect job channeling Jessica’s ladylike charm. This look is stunning on you!

17. Sunday says:

You always look so chic! Love the color combination

18. I truly love her style. Good work on this tribute :)