26 January 2010

January 26th, 2010 § 16 comments

26 January 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Cardigan – Banana Republic
  • Black Jersey Dress – BR Outlet
  • Scarf – Gift from Kimberly
  • Teal Shoes – Seychelles, via Solestruck.com
  • Tights – Target
  • Belt – Sister M.’s
  • Bracelet – Gift from S.

Yesterday I did a tribute to Sara of Orchids in Buttonholes, and while she was certainly an early blog love for me and remains a favorite, the two blogs that first engaged me in style blog reading were Already Pretty and Fab Finds Under $50.  I think E. and S. found many style blogs appealing long before we started academichic, but I had a hard time getting into them and it wasn’t until I discovered Already Pretty and Fab Finds that I was able to embrace the genre and celebrate what all style blogs have the potential to contribute.  So why these two admittedly very different blogs?  Part of it is that I can image that I would like to hang out with both Sal and Kimberly in real life – turns out I do like the real Sal quite a bit – but more importantly is the focus on positive body image and body love.  I’ll save my Sal gushing (which always includes a mention of her Drag Queens Post) for another day, because this is a tribute to Kimberly!

Fab Finds 2
Kimberly’s style is approachable,  affordable, and academia appropriate – generally an all around A+!

When I first started thinking of how to put together a Kimberly outfit, I thought of these shoes and then built the outfit from there.  Kimberly has the most fabulous collection of shoes, which directly inspired me to pick out these shoes last Spring– I wanted a pair of statement shoes!

Packing Update!, originally uploaded by academichic.
I am always impressed with how Kimberly embellishes a few simple pieces with her use of accessories (shoes included).  I once called Kimberly a pattern-mixing goddess, but today I am celebrating her as accessory goddess.  I started with a simple black dress (Kimberly just recently did a post showing the many ways she has worn her little black dress) and then added a long cardigan – basic pieces, a blank canvas to accessorize.  I added the teal pumps and this beautifully patterned scarf (a gift from Kimberly) worn as a faux blouse.  My instinct was to pull out a simple black or brown leather belt but knew Kimberly would likely reach for a more bedazzled option, so I opted for this jeweled stretchy belt and then fished it all off with some jewelry.

Thanks for all the inspiration Kimberly, I feel Fab-Finds Fabulous today!   A.

Accessories, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 16 Responses to 26 January 2010"

1. Ana says:

Love the outfit, the accessories definitely make it! The shoes are super cute :o)

- Ana

2. A – You look fabulous!! I adore this outfit and would definitely wear it myself. I feel completely honored to be “inspiration” for you and featured on this truly wonderful blog. You three have taken the blogging world by storm over the past year with you gorgeous outfits, intelligence, posts featuring everything from how to pack for a multitude of trips to color combos and more. Also, the feeling is totally mutual – it would be great fun to hang with you. :-)

3. Sally says:

Awww, thanks for the shout-out, A! And I love your take on Kimberly’s style – a cardi and a belt are a must if you’re riffing off her fabulous looks.

4. Rebecca says:

I love this outfit! The pops of color are the best, I know I get stuck in dark colors in the winter, and the teal is just so beautiful on you! Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Sara says:

I love this look! The layers and textures are lovely, and I love that scarf. It brings such a great pattern and, worn that way, changes up the feel of the whole look. Brilliant!

6. Diana says:

This is a wonderful outfit, and it definitely echoes Kimberly’s style. I love the shoes, and the pop of pattern coming from the scarf.

7. Elizabeth Ann says:

received this link in my inbox this morning. Thought you lovely ladies might be interested.

8. Ris says:

I just love those shoes! Seychelles has a great selection of cute shoes and all the ones I’ve bought have lasted a long time.

9. Elena says:

Love this outfit, especially the belt!

10. V says:

Kimberly’s blog was also one of the first ones I ever started reading! Great job with the outfit…perfect mix of you and her!

11. Liz says:

Great tribute! You look beautiful and I love those shoes!

12. A-C says:

I saw the first pic and immediately went to look to see where you got that blouse. LOVE the idea of wearing a scarf as a faux blouse.

13. Miranda says:

Scarf as a faux blouse? Ingenious! This is a layering option I’ll be using in the future….such a great way to cut bulk but keep adding pattern and texture.

14. Debbie says:

So cute! That teal color looks great on you. I love Kimberly’s & Sal’s blogs too. :-)

15. Ahh belt over a cardi. Gotta try that. Love the dotty inner blouse. :)

16. Ruth says:

So, this is a very late comment, but, I got these shoes in black a while ago and have yet to wear them in an academic/professional context because I always hesitate over the height – do you have any words of wisdom re: heel height? I think I read somewhere a long time ago when I was trying to figure out what professional attire was for a job interview that one should not wear heels over three inches or something… it stuck with me. What do you think, is that outdated?