25 January 2010 – Simply

January 25th, 2010 § 22 comments

25 January 2010 – Simply, originally uploaded by academichic.

• White scarf: unknown origins
  • Gray sweater: Forever 21
  • Denim skirt: Banana Republic Factory
  • Red tights: Target
  • Gray socks: mom’s from college
  • Boots: Iriss by Steve Madden, via eBay

Last Halloween I bought this bright red pair of tights as part of a costume and they have since languished in my drawer. For more than a year I tried to think of a way to incorporate them into a daily outfit without looking like a Dr. Seuss character. I finally realized, however, that I was over thinking things and decided to take a cue from one of the first style bloggers I followed, Whitney Deal of Darling Dexter.

darlingdexter

Whitney is a super-talented photographer, graphic designer, and budding fashion designer whose style, to me, epitomizes effortless chic. Whitney’s outfits are never labored or overdone. Instead, she plays with shapes and proportions quietly, creating looks that are memorable in their simplicity.

So rather than trying to match these red tights to a floral dress or doing a high-contrast color scheme, I’m following Whitney’s example by letting the tights be the single pop of color between neutrals on top and cognac boots. A soft white scarf adds a bit of balance and whimsy. Hopefully, this is a worthy tribute to a style blog that has always been a breath of fresh air and a reminder that simplicity can be a style statement!

25 January 2010 – Simply, originally uploaded by academichic.

§ 22 Responses to 25 January 2010 – Simply"

1. Shannon says:

I’m loving those red tights! I need to incorporate more colored tights into my wardrobe, they’re such a great way to amp up an outfit.

2. Kathryn says:

I’ve been on a hunt for the perfect red tights for two years now. Alas the search continues.

3. Luinae says:

This is so lovely, you have really outdone yourself. I know exactly how to take style cues from this outfit and incorporate it into my own wardrobe!

4. Leproust says:

I love the color combination….it is so simple, but how you put it together is really visually interesting. I love the gray with the brown boots!

5. Linda says:

I love this look – and just got a pair of brown/cognac-color boots, more like S’s than yours though. I’ll have to try the colored tights look with them.

6. Ana says:

It looks great! To me, you are the reminder that simplicity can be stylish and chic. :o)

-Ana

7. Annie says:

I really like how you used neutral colors to make your red tights the pop in your outfit. Its such a simple and fresh look.

8. Courtney says:

Wow! I’ve avoided colored tights for fear of looking like a Muppet, but you’ve just changed my mind. That’s a fabulous look!

9. Sally says:

You’ve nailed her look – and what a fabulous tribute ensemble you’ve created!

10. Erika says:

I absolutely love this!

11. Simply gorgeous. Love the pop of red :)

12. mamichan says:

I really like your theme this week. And I came SO CLOSE to wearing a version of this today, but I wanted to save the bright tights for a wedding on Saturday so I went with black tights.

13. M.E.J. says:

Love the red tights with those boots! I also use to pair my red tights with a denim skirt, it’s simple but interesting.
    Like mamichan, I was thinking of wearing them this week, but I’m saving the outfit for my birthday on friday (I just hope I can manage getting my injured bandaged foot in the tights, and I’ll wear just one boot, hehehe)… thinking of which, don’t you girls have some advice on something cute to wear that “goes well” with a foot bandage?

14. Kayla says:

I love those red tights on you! I find colored tights work best on me with boots and a skirt too. Just alittle hint of color.

15. Diana says:

I love how you let the tights shine with an all-neutral ensemble.

16. thank you so much for the kind words :) you guys are awesome!!

17. Kristen says:

Great look and very helpful to the rest of us who are clueless about our funky tights – last fall I bought a pair of burnt orange patterned tights at Anthropologie and promptly realized I had no clue how to wear them. They’re still in the wrapper, but I think I’m ready to break them out after seeing this entry!

18. EmilyKennedy says:

That’s a very smart idea for how to deal with bright tights. I think I might give it a try with one of my neglected pairs.

This is a fabulous Whitney-inspired look. The red tights are the perfect addition!

20. evanadine says:

love this look!
    nothing Seuss-ian about it!

21. Aarika says:

Love the red tights. It goes great with the outfit.

22. [...]   I am loving the red tights. More red tights Published [...]