Academichic Year One: E.’s Top Ten

January 15th, 2010 § 14 comments

e-top ten

Like A. and S., I found compiling my list of top ten to be a worthy exercise. As I sifted through old photographs I was struck by how quickly my own taste can change. There are quite a few outfits that I was happy with at the time but that I have no desire to wear again. (Perhaps, like A., I will undertake some outfit revisions in the coming year.) On the other hand, there are some outfits that I still love. These are some of them.

This was — for lack of a better term — a weird year for me to start style blogging. My body changed a lot this year: a growing baby bump, post-partum jiggles and shifts, and nursing mom…er, chest expansion. My style this year was not solely a means of self-expression. It was also about practicality and accommodation and, on my best days, about creatively celebrating whatever body I happened to have at that moment. And since I gave birth to baby e. in July, it’s appropriate that half of my top ten are from during my pregnancy and half are post-partum.

A few passing observations:

• Yellow is my confidence color.
  • I clearly missed high-waisted skirts during pregnancy.
  • Unexpectedly, pregnancy confirmed skinny pants’ place in my regular wardrobe rotation.
  • My post-partum/mom style has been a great opportunity to experiment with different shapes and proportions.
  • I have not yet hit my limit for “too many” pairs of great wedges.

Academically, this upcoming year is supposed to be something of my coming of age as I finish off department requirements and move into independent research and writing. On the mom front, I’ll be starting to chase baby e. around and clean up even more messes. I’m excited to see how my style continues to evolve to reflect these changes, and I’m hopeful that I’ll get to share some of that with all of you.

§ 14 Responses to Academichic Year One: E.’s Top Ten"

1. Ana says:

I love these outfits! Your style is amazing, and that high-waisted skirt on the bottom is awesome. Well, that sounds like a whole lot of flattery doesn’t it? It’s true though! I look forward to seeing more!

2. Sally says:

You are my blazer-and-cardigan Yoda, E. And this roundup just reaffirms that!

3. J. says:

What stands out about your style is just color. There’s contrast and brightness, and it works so well for you! Love it!

4. You look radiant in yellow, so it should be your confidence color!

5. Kristen says:

I really like all of your outfits. I think my favorite is the first one.

6. Luinae says:

You have some amazing and stunning personal style- love the first all yellow outfit!

7. Kari says:

What a lovely year! I agree that you look awesome in yellow (and orange and fuchsia, too) and I love how even one of your last pregnancy outfits made it into your top 10. I’m also excited to see how your style evolves as your parenting needs change.

8. Petra says:

what a great year for you! I simply adored your style during pregnancy. And: You made me buy a yellow cardigan! I love outfit number one.

9. What happened with the Converse plaid dress? I wanted to see what else you came up with!

10. I love all of these outfits! Fun, feminine, and flirty without being overly girly.

Very wearable.

Kelly

11. spacegeek says:

Where do you find these wedges? My sister also recommends wedges, but I can’t seem to find ones that don’t look clunky/summer sandal-y. I want dress wedges that are soft and somewhat flexible!

12. Kimmie says:

Happy 1 year to Academichic! :) I wish I had found your blog last year, since I could have taken some tips from your pregnancy wardrobe (mine was so blah! sweat pants and t-shirts everyday) But over the last month or two of following your blog, I have to say I’m in love with your style, E!

13. Ellen says:

Ladies, I love your look(s)! You inspire me – as I am also a Midwest dweller. Keep up the great work!

14. [...] come. Now stay tuned for our Top Ten Looks of Year Two later this week. (And check out A’s, E’s, and S’s Top Tens of Year One [...]