Academichic Year One: A.’s Top Ten

January 14th, 2010 § 25 comments

a-top ten

This week we are celebrating Academichic’s One Year Birthday!  We all decided to pull together our top ten outfits from the past year.  I was surprised to see that it was hard to narrow it down to ten, it seems it’s easier to remember the outfits you were unhappy with then the ones you loved.  Similarly we often focus on the things about are physical appearance that we don’t like rather than on the parts we are proud of.  This is one of the reason I selected outfit # 8.  I wore this during our Fashion 101 on Proportions when we celebrated our best features (in this case, my strong running legs).

I learned a few things from reviewing year one. I love skirts and I love how I look in them! My Kenneth Cole wedges were a great purchase (worn with outfits #1 #3 and #6 but I think they would have looked great with #4 #5 and #10 too).  I need to find a replacement for my favorite tan cardigan worn in outfits #1 #5 and #6.  When I step outside my box and try something I would never think I could pull off, I am usually surprisingly pleased with the results.   For outfit #8 I took inspiration from other bloggers and put my own spin on it – now I love the belted oxford.  For outfits #6 and #9 I took my inspiration from the pages of the J Crew catalogue. I was actually nervous to leave the house in these looks because they were so unlike what I would normally wear, but once I did, I exuded confidence all day.

In year two I hope to keep challenging myself to focus on the things I love about my body and the styles that make me feel great about myself.  I also plan to continue challenging myself to try new looks, gather inspiration from others, and take a few more style risks!

Which is your favorite look from the first year?

§ 25 Responses to Academichic Year One: A.’s Top Ten"

1. Sally says:

So many fab skirt-based looks. This skirt devotee loves getting inspiration from your ensembles, A!

2. Franca says:

I like the top two ones best – such great colours!

3. penny says:

#8 and #9 are by far my favourite!!:)

4. Debbie says:

Great choices, A! I agree with Sally that you are an inspiration for those who love skirts, like me! My favorites are #3, #5 and #6. :-)

5. Liz says:

I love outfits #5,#7,#9. Those high-waisted skirts looks soo good on you!!

6. S@sha says:

#9 is definitely my favorite, I’m glad you pushed your comfort zone and tried it!

7. k says:

all your belting has definitely been inspiring me in my own outfits. i can’t decide which of your top ten i like best, but i think maybe #6 – it is so girly (which is actually the complete opposite of me!)

8. oh i LOVE #6!
    it is so great to see these pulled together and really get a sense of your style of the past year–what a treat to be able to see this, and such lovely ensembles.

9. Erika says:

All these looks are beautiful, especially #3 (green necklace) and #5 (purple ruffles). You make those skirts look really good!

10. jentine says:

Love the j-crew inspired looks… I also think that the bright plaid you wore a while ago should have made it and the bridesmaids dress for S’s wedding. A top 12 perhaps…

11. T. says:

#6 and #7, especially #7. Somehow I missed its original posting. If I saw it in a catalog, I would be buying all the pieces right now! Must go search my closet now to see if I can put together this look.

12. Petra says:

Hi, I am a post-doc in math from Germany (visiting California right now) and have been following your blog for quite some time now. I always look forward to your posts, since I have a similar body shape. I love skirts but don’t ware them much since I feel overdressed in the math department each time I walk in wearing one.

I do like all of your top 10 but in particular numbers 1 and 6.

13. Miranda says:

I’m constantly in awe of how all you ladies utilize belts. They cinch in the waist and do exactly what you want! I know a month or so back, E. answered a question about belts (they sit where they should because of her anatomy). But I’m curious about S. and A. How do you get belts to stay where they should and flatter when there are no loops?

I’m small (30-25-28), but I have belt trouble. I can do hip-slung belts no problem. And belt loops hold up the higher belts. But without loops? All the cute belts cut me funny, resting on my hips and making me loop like encased sausage, even though there’s no real fat!

You’re all so good with advice — I’d love some tutorial! Because I dream of things like belts over oxfords and pencil skirts….

14. Christina Foster says:

Happy 1 yr anniversary! I love, love, love your website. As a fellow female in academics I can relate to the need to break through the typical “stuffy professor” look. I love the top ten looks! Great ideas (and I also love to lift styling ideas from J. Crew!).

15. Reve says:

I love 3 and 6. 3 for the crisp, professional look and 6 for the soft, flowy look.

16. [...] A. and S., I found compiling my list of top ten to be a worthy exercise. As I sifted through old [...]

17. Anette says:

I admire your feminine style – and you do it well with all the small belts.

18. Kari says:

One of the main things that stands to me is not only how amazing you look in skirts, but also how many wonderful neutral-based outfits you wore. I love how you created so much textural and tonal variety with only a few pops of bright colors (or none at all.)

19. CrankyOtter says:

Visitor from Sal’s blog. Looking at your fabulous selection of outfit pictures, I was surprised by the assessment – you don’t look like someone who has any doubts about her style and looks, from someone who hasn’t seen the process. Congrats on your continued efforts at fabulousness.

20. [...] had this grey cardigan for years.  For a while it was a staple in my wardrobe (making almost as frequent appearances as my beige cardi does now) but eventually, I just stopped wearing it much.  I got bored with it, but I [...]

21. [...] of tan sweater with this grey printed jersey dress and pop of teal so much it even made it onto my year-one top 10 list.    I have no problem repeating outfits I like, especially when I’ll be seeing a different [...]

22. Sarah says:

My favorites are # 3, 4, and 5. I’m loving the blazer/ cardi and skirt combinations.

23. [...] year ago, at the end of my reflection on Year One, I wrote this: In year two I hope to keep challenging myself to focus on the things I love about my [...]

24. [...] instead (but see how I cheated there just a little bit?). For more reminiscing, you can see my top ten from year one and year [...]

25. I love outfits #5,#7,#9. Those high-waisted skirts are so beautiful! they looks soo pretty on you!!