28 December 2009

December 28th, 2009 § 38 comments

28 December 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.
  • Plaid Shirt – Gap
  • Grey Long-Sleeve Tee – American Eagle
  • Jeans- Banana Republic
  • Wellies – Banana Republic
  • Earrings- hand-me-down from Sister M.
I got a bunch of new clothes for Christmas and have been hitting the post-Christmas sales.  I bought this blue buffalo plaid shirt at the Gap and I love it!  I like how bright the blue is, the ruffle detailing down the front, and the fact that it has no pockets (pockets don’t do much for my chest).
Blue Plaid and Earrings, originally uploaded by academichic.
For Christmas, my mom gave me these wonderfully versatile wellies from Banana Republic.  They are black rubber with a brown leather cuff and are warm, water-proof, and incredibly comfortable, while also being rather chic.  I wore them sledding this morning and am wearing them to dinner tonight.

On another note, I’m fascinated by S.’s hair experiment and would be curious if there are any blonds out there trying it.  I have naturally curly hair that I straighten most days.  I wash and condition my hair almost everyday (and definitely every time I exercise), but use very little product in my hair b/c I find it makes it very greasy. When I wear my hair curly, it starts out looking pretty good, but is a frizzy and greasy mess by the end of the day. I don’t know that I could ever embrace the “no-poo” movement, but I would be willing to test out some new curly hair regiments – any ideas?    A.

28 December 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 38 Responses to 28 December 2009"

1. Elena says:

I LOVE this shirt. Have been stalking it online in red and blue to try and snag a tall size (but now only XL is left)—maybe I’ll get lucky and it’ll fit without the extra length. Looks great on you!

2. Sal says:

Those wellies are such fun, and you look RADIANT in that bold, electric blue.

3. Sara says:

This shirt looks like it was made for you – you look incredible in it! Such a perfect shade of blue on you. And I love how you layered it, as well. Lovely!

4. Can I just say I love the discussion of curly that has started here? My curls are more dry than greasy, so I’m not sure what to suggest for you. Perhaps a different kind of product? You could try a gel or a spray instead of a thick cream. Also, applying conditioner more to your ends than your roots keeps your scalp from being too greasy. Good luck experimenting!

5. Katie says:

I’m having the same issue with my curly hair. I’ve read so much about how women with thick, curly hair should avoid washing as much as possible, but my hair (while there’s a lot of it) is fine, and not washing just makes it feel awful. It’s also shorter, so cute ponytails and braids aren’t an option.

I’ve had some luck only using a tiny bit of shampoo on the scalp and, on days when I don’t want to shampoo, rinsing with diluted apple cider vinegar, but I’d love to hear what others are doing.

6. Love this shirt…I have to admit that GAP has some cute stuff right now.

7. I have hair that is naturally somewhere between wavy and curly. It feels really gross if I don’t wash it after I exercise, especially after I run. My hair is rather naturally oily, so even without exercise I can only go two days without washing it before it starts to look and feel like a cesspool and before it starts to stink. I really recommend the Aveda Be Curly line and one of my co-bloggers (who has amazing curls) loves Bumble and Bumble’s Surf Spray.

8. Anna says:

When I had longer hair, it was quite wavy and always greasy by the end of the day. I used Aveda’s Be Curly products, which I really like. I found that I had pretty good luck with it if I avoided messing with it a lot during the day (tucking it behind my ear, running my fingers through it, etc).

9. Miranda says:

Unlike some ladies posting here, I have naturally fine strands of straight hair, but I have it in thick abundance. So I don’t struggle with the curl/wave issue, but I do have similar issues with keeping things in a balance between dry ends/greasy roots.

The best advice I ever received from a stylist: wash and shampoo as usual, but do so as rarely as possible (I manage 3-4 days, then wear my hair up on 1, then wash/condition). But above all, NEVER, EVER wrap your hair in a towel or use a towel to absorb moisture. It not only collects water, but throws off hair’s balance by stealing all moisture and oils, creating split ends and fly-aways. So much frizz.

Seriously: I haven’t used a towel in 7 years. Even in the first 2 weeks I could tell a difference, but now? Amazing. So healthy and shiny. I try to pass this on to any woman I meet.

Otherwise — loving everyone’s holiday picks! Y’all just keep inspiring!

10. Janet says:

I have blonde/going gray curly hair. I fought to make it straight until I turned 30 and decided to be true to myself and go with the curls. I use, most religiously, ‘Ouidad’ styling products on my hair, avoiding shampoo as much as possible. Seriously, google that!

Also, you will have better curly results from your haircut if the stylist refrains from using ‘thinning shears’, and avoid the ‘razor cut.’ It will also take a few days, and a deep treatment, for your curls to recover from a straightened style.

I love your blog! Very inspiring!

11. You look great in that color! I have been experimenting with wearing plaid too (I just got the Ann Taylor Loft one). I think it’s a fun look :)

As for hair…I wash mine about 2-3 times a week. I try not to do it more than that because apparently it’s bad for your hair… I condition like it’s my job though! :)

12. A.S. says:

Have you thought about going to the website called naturallycurly.com? They actually have very good descriptions of varying kinds of curly hair. It looks like we both have the same kinds of curls because your curls are larger, but I have a feeling your hair is finer. My hair has tons of volume so I don’t have the greasy-looking issue to contend with, however I would recommend going no-poo or low-poo. It’s best done with a light-weight conditioner– I no-poo (I have for a couple of years now) and I would suggest looking for a conditioner with as many natural ingredients as possible, with gentle surfactants, such as cocamidopropyl betaine.

How you’re washing your scalp can make a difference too. I usually use my fingers as scrubbers and really rub– REALLY RUB!– my scalp and also use massaging motions. I also do that while I’m washing the conditioner off and then after all of it’s washed off, I let water run through my hair by itself.

I’d consider looking into jessicurl styling products, because they’re lightweight. I hope this helped! Look into the website too, it’s great.

13. Kim says:

I could have written your last paragraph! I love the idea of not having to wash very often but by the end of day two I would be a greasy mess! Especially after exercising. I do have curly hair too but it’s pretty fine. I’m going to have to try that Aveeda product that was suggested and not toweling (which I ALWAYS do!). I’m also currently in a no-straightening ban so any and all suggestions are welcome! I loved S.’s post but it seems like my hair is much more like yours. All of my recent outfit shots have been with curly hair because of my self imposed ban. It’s going to be an interesting few weeks!

14. L says:

When I first saw this post, before I read anything, I was actually thinking that your hair is so cute in these pictures!!

15. Leia says:

That ruffle shirt looks so great on you!

16. Christina W. says:

I love chic wellies! I have a black pair that looks like patent. Yours look great, and so versatile!

17. Aradia says:

It’s a cool shirt. I like the ruffle front and the nice blue. And those welies are so stylish! Great outfit!

18. Jane says:

That bright blue is a fantasti colour on you. The wellies sound good.

19. Kari says:

Your eyes look *so* darn blue with that shirt. I love the beautiful color!

I had no idea your hair was naturally curly (or perhaps I forgot if you had mentioned it earlier.) No wonder you have great body even though you flatten it. My hair, sadly, is just the opposite so I’m afraid I don’t have any useful advice, but I’ve known curly-haired friends who swear by either the “no poo” or “conditioner only” methods.

20. admin says:

Thanks for so many more great comments. If I may ask a question – to those of you who said no towel, how do you exactly do that? What do you do to your hair after a shower? Maybe because mine is long and thick, but it’s usually pretty sopping wet, so I’m not sure what I would do without a towel to help it dry?

Thanks!

S.

21. Sarah says:

I’ve been a longtime lurker but had to weigh in and answer S’s question. My hair stylist told me that the best way to get rid of extra moisture is to use paper towels, apparently they only remove the water and leave behind the natural oils. I felt bad about using that many paper towels to dry my hair, it seriously takes like 6 sheets, so I asked what else I could use and she said that using an old t-shirt also works. The fibers of the t-shirt, think Hanes plain white t, aren’t as rough as the towel so it’s a lot nicer on your hair. Make sure you don’t rub the hair, I flip my head over and blot/scrunch the hair with the t-shirt, if that makes sense. I’ve been using a t-shirt for over a year and I’ve definitely seen the difference. Hope that helps!

22. Miranda says:

Hi, S!
    I have long hair too (fine strands, but thick in amount). When I get out of the shower, I gently comb with a wide-tooth comb (to avoid breakage). Then I use my hands to gently squeeze out excess water over the sink. I let my hair hang wet (on my robe, not my back) and let it air dry a little while I use lotion and do other things to get ready. Then I use moroccan argon oil (which is a non-greasy, semi-dry oil) on the ends. By that time, my hair is easy to blow-dry and takes less time. No fly-aways anywhere, and super shiny (which is easier with dark hair probably).

23. jentine says:

Hmmm… super interesting hair talk goin on… I’m definately going to try the no-towel trick, I damage my hair enough just dying it.
    Blah, blah, blah, hair… the best part of this post is this whole look. It’s been said before but your eyes look electric with that shirt! Beautiful!

24. Iva says:

love the shirt. I blow dry my hair straight about 2 times a week…i dont mind it curly, but I dont like it being frizzy…so straight makes its easier to manage…just wish it didnt cause so much damage :-/

25. Sara Rose says:

Well, I just so happen to have curly hair! I currently wear it in a verrrrrrry short pixie a la Audrey Tautou, but here’s the deal on curls of any kind.

You just can’t wash them everyday. Honest to God, nobody should be washing their hair every single day anyways. I RINSE my hair everyday but I WASH it only twice a week.

If your curls are on the softer, looser end, such as my daughter’s, I found her this really great Aussie product that’s both a soft hold mousse AND leave in conditioner. Her hair is never, ever greasy, and it always holds a style well.

I, on the other hand, have tighter curls and VERY dry hair. So anytime I condition, I do a deep conditioning treatment. After bath, I rub a drop or two of a silicone based serum through and then use Garnier Fructise’s Surf Hair paste/creme stuff. Not a bunch of it, but it does really well for keeping my hair in control.

I mist both my daughter & my own hair after styling with a very light “dry” hair spray from Tresemme (I think its level one or something) after I style it in the am.

You actually have a good cut to let it “go curly” once in awhile but be aware, since you straighten your hair so often, it may take a few tries to get it “right”. A diffuser and a soft hold balm and/or hair spray can be your best friends to start with.

Those are my tips!

26. Anna says:

Get thee to thelonghaircommunity.com! I am not a curly but it’s a veritable fount of wisdom for all hair types. From what I remember about curly tips, it is important not to brush out after you wash, and to use leave-ins like jojoba oil and shea butter.

27. Jojoba oil is really great for acne because it helps balance facial oil.”`

28. Emma Johnson says:

Jojoba oil is really great for acne because it helps balance facial oil.*”-

29. Shea Butter can really promote great health.”*

30. Jojoba oil is also great for acne sufferers because it can penetrate oily pores.*.`

31. Zak Fisher says:

Shea Butter is also good on your skin. We use it a lot for treating dry sin or scars.’;.

32. i used jojoba oil on my oily acneic face and it is good for unblocking blackheads`”-

33. Evelyn Ahmed says:

oh by the way shea butter tastes good too:-:

34. i remember my grandma who loves shea butter so much. -’:

35. jojoba oil is both good for acne and also for eczema,;;

36. Sleep Aid : says:

Shea butter is a slightly yellowish or ivory colored natural fat extracted from the seed of the African shea tree by crushing a:’;

37. Caleb Green says:

i heard that jojoba oil is also very good against acne, i would like to try it on my acne `~”

38. Sleep Aid says:

well, Shea Butter have some special medicinal properties too aside from cosmetic applications ;’*