30 November 2009

November 30th, 2009 § 11 comments

30 November 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

All remixed except vintage brooch:

• Maroon top – a.n.a., thrifted
  • Skinnies – thrifted
  • Poncho – F21
  • Scarf – TJMaxx
  • Boots – Banana Republic
  • Vintage clutch – AIG Kanis, Oxfam Munich
  • Vintage brooch – vintage shop in Munich

I wore this outfit this past weekend for more sightseeing with T. followed by dinner with friends. I’m glad that some of you commented that I don’t seem to be wearing the same stuff over and over again albeit the restrictions of my small ‘abroad wardrobe’. I am starting to feel like I wear the same things over and over, like these dark skinnies tucked into the boots or this blue scarf, or even this maroon shirt that I wore twice last week: to Salzburg on Wednesday and in the above picture on Saturday.

To keep the same items from feeling too repetitive, I’ve found that experimenting with accessories goes a long way; even just intertwining the same old blue scarf with the same old pink scarf to create a blue and pink scarf can breathe new life into something.

With this outfit, I kept it from feeling too much like this almost identical version by wearing my black boots instead of my brown ones, by looping the scarf under the collar and pushing it up to create a turtleneck effect (rather than over the collar like last time), and by adding that touch of ‘whimsy’ with this cute vintage brooch.

Two birds on a branch brooch, originally uploaded by academichic.

I wasn’t much of a fan of gold jewelry until recently, but I think the gold of this bag’s lock plays nicely with the gold bird brooch and there is something bold about adding some shiny gold touches to a rather simple ensemble, don’t you think?┬áS.

Vintage brooch, originally uploaded by academichic.
Vintage clutch detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

§ 11 Responses to 30 November 2009"

1. i love gold jewelry, and that pin is rad.

2. Sara says:

I keep forgetting that you have a limited wardrobe – it really doesn’t seem like it from your pictures at all, which is truly inspiring. Lovely color combination and I LOVE that brooch! So sweet and such a great detail. I’m beginning to have a thing for brooches for that very reason. And your purse was such a great find.

3. Sally says:

A great mix of colors and neutrals. And I ADORE your hair in that side braid!

4. EmilyKennedy says:

Well, I must say, I very much appreciate a style blogger who actually re-wears stuff. Many appear to think they’re being repetitious, but no evidence ever surfaces. Repetition says love when it comes to clothing, and it’s truly a good thing to love your stuff!

5. Miss L says:

I’m so inspired by you. I live in the US for a year, and also have a one-suitcase warderobe. But you never seem to wear the same outfit. Go you!!!

6. Sharon says:

You look fab! I know how hard is living with a one suitcase wardrobe and I think you are doing an amazing job.

7. Jenni says:

That beautiful pin is very Madeline Albright of you! BTW, her book about her pin collection is fantastic!

8. Diana says:

I love that poncho. You look so cozy. Also, your remix skills are getting absolutely amazing, as I often forget how little you were able to bring with you on this trip.
    Oh, and I love your hair!

9. Nadine says:

Love the poncho, plait and blue/purple mixture. I love seeing you work from a limited wardrobe – it feels more like ‘real life’ to me. The vast quantities of clothes that so many style-bloggers seem to own is often a bit intimidating.

You’ve been doing a stellar job keeping it interesting, S. Love this one!

11. Dottie says:

All your fun braid hairstyles look great. I wish I could braid my hair without tangling it all up and getting aggravated :)