24 November 2009 – Winter White

November 24th, 2009 § 28 comments

24 November 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Gray cardigan: Ann Taylor, gift from MIL
  • White nursing cami: Target
  • Belt: Gap Outlet
  • Cream wool pencil skirt: Isaac Hazan, vintage, thrifted
  • Brown tights: Old Navy
  • Wedges: thrifted

I love it when an outfit works as well in actuality as it does in my imagination. This is one of those outfits.

When I first started stalking style blogs, I remember being startled and intrigued by the inimitable Jessica Schroeder’s embrace of white as a staple color in her winter wardrobe. And I don’t mean a white sweater or a white hat and scarf. No, I’m talking full on white or cream dresses, worn with rich burgundy or contrasting with crisp black. I thought it was beautiful and stunning and I wanted to try it myself. It took another year, further inspirational bursts from Alison the Valiant — who is another winter white genius — and a successful thrifting trip with A. where I snagged this cream wool pencil skirt to satisfy this style itch.

I wanted to create a classic hourglass shape, so I used this slouchy, dolman-sleeve sweater to exaggerate my shoulders and a wide belt to cinch in at the waist, and I let the high waist of the pencil skirt do the rest. Brown tights and brown wedges create the illusion of a long, seamless leg line. I love these old-school proportions, and I also love how I let my clothes do so much of the work for me.

24 November 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

And with baby e. in his thrifted corduroys and little tie onesie, we made a classic pair.

How do you wear white in the winter?

24 November 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , ,

§ 28 Responses to 24 November 2009 – Winter White"

1. I love this look! So chic!

2. Nadine says:

This grey cardi/white skirt (dress)/brown tights and shoes combo is EXACTLY what I wear. Yesterday you were dressed as S, today you’re dressed as me! Spooky.

Love the bubby! He’s so yummy.

3. Doctoressa says:

Gorgeous, brave combo!

4. A-C says:

I saw the first pic and thought you had lost a whole bunch of weight in 3 days! You look amazing! just plain wow. Going to have to try something like this to see if it’ll work on me too.

5. Dawn says:

Aw, baby E is so cute!

I love your cream skirt, and you look delightfully hourglass-y in the cardigan.

6. Kelly says:

This is soo pretty

7. Sally says:

I do wear white in winter, but typically wait until December. I’m old school like that. ;)

8. Leia says:

I love this look! And your baby is sooo cute :)

9. Diana says:

Gorgeous outfit! I love how you used white and mixed it with darker colors. And that cardigan is fabulous!

10. Sarah says:

You always look so put together and your accessories are impeccable. But I have to say, baby e. is your absolute best accessory! What a cutie!

11. Very nice! I wear white in the winter with black or rich colors like wine, plum, or hunter green. However, here’s what kills me about wearing white (regardless of the season): it seems like every single time I wear white, I spill coffee, tea, or wine on myself.

12. Elena says:

Beautiful ensemble, beautiful baby! I suppose I really only have one white summer/cotton dress that I wind up layering in the winter with opague tights, whatever colorful cardigan I’m in the mood for, and a belt.

You nailed the winter whites look, E. I just love this!

14. Madeline says:

I don’t wear winter white, but it isn’t a statement, I just don’t have anything in a heavy enough fabric (like that amazing wool skirt you are sporting). But I think I should keep my eyes open for something!

15. Awww your little man is so precious!! =)

I love the white, it’s so crisp and fresh.

16. Luinae says:

I love “winter white” too, but I need to keep it away from my face because I have such pale skin. And baby E. looks lovely!

17. Lina says:

You look stunning in this! Really, LOVE it!

One or two years ago I would wear a pair of white knitted tights with a denim mini skirt, a white (sort of sparkly) cardigan and heavy boots… Now, I don’t wear minis anymore because I think they end at a pretty unflattering part of my thighs, but it did look pretty cute as an outfit.

I like to match white with colors like lavender, powder blue and pink for winter. As long as something is knitted or in a heavy, warm, material I think it works.

18. Lucy says:

Beautiful look. Love both the silhouette and colors, and, of course, baby e. is adorable.

19. BellaB says:

Clever you! You’ve really pulled together a fantastic outfit – the colors and textures are rich and warm and the way that you arranged the pieces to create an hourglass shape is incredibly elegant. You look regal!

Baby e. is the best accessory yet! :)

20. [...] So today, I’ve been working from home and I felt like wearing white after reading this post [...]

21. Marie says:

I love how you wear white for winter! I specially love the cardigan, its very pretty. Since I am from another country, where there is no winter, my mind is very open to wearing white in winter. In fact, I didn’t know you couldn’t until very shortly! jajaja.

22. Sharon says:

Loving the proportions here! The sweater looks amazing on you and I really like the earrings as well.

I wear white during winter as well. I grew up with extremely mild winters, so I just wore the same stuff I wore during the summer, but added an extra layer. Here is a little bit harder, because winter months are very polluted and it stains clothes. It’s pretty disgusting.

23. Elle says:

Love the outfit! Will have to try this contrasting look. Thank you for the inspiration.

24. Chelsea says:

oh my you look gorgeous! I just love how you’ve highlighted your TEENY waist… wonderful way to wear wintry white :)

25. I love this ensemble! I love how cardigan was belted!

26. [...] wearing a vintage cream wool pencil skirt — incidentally, Jessica was my initial inspiration for wearing winter white — with a simple blue-green sweater. My homage to What I Wore style comes with the soft blue [...]

27. [...] I’ve come to love colored tights, but I’ll fully admit they’re one of the most self-consciously “style blogger” things in my wardrobe, something I definitely wouldn’t have worn a year or two years ago. So in honor of broadened horizons, here’s one of my favorite pairs of colored tights as the centerpiece of an outfit that includes, well…nearly all things I probably wouldn’t have worn (or at least wouldn’t have worn together) in my pre-blog life (that belt! those shoes! that obsession with ponte knit work staples!). And to take it to yet another level of meta-contrivance, it’s a look inspired by the post-partum stylings of a near and dear bloggyfriend, E. of the now-defunct (tear!) Academichic. [...]