23 November 2009 – Birthday Fun

November 24th, 2009 § 23 comments

23 November 2009 , originally uploaded by academichic.

• Pink cowl neck – Nine West, remixed
  • Black shirt dress – H&M, remixed
  • Red belt – really old, forgot source
  • Gray tights – DM, remixed
  • Boots – Banana Republic, remixed
  • Coat (below) – Hämmerle in Austria, bought years ago
  • Bag – Etienne Aigner, remixed
  • Leaf necklace – Beau & Stella on Etsy, bday gift from husband

Yesterday was my birthday and I had a wonderful day. My favorite birthday gift was my husband, who arrived the day before and is spending this entire week with me. If that weren’t enough, I got some really awesome gifts of the material and non-material kind. The material ones will slowly be revealed as I wear them, the immaterial ones came in the shape of really nice birthday wishes and messages, which really made my day. Thanks, E. and A., for thinking of me (you really nailed me with your outfits!) and to all of you who left such nice birthday comments!

Necklace detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

One of my birthday gifts of the tangible variety was this beautiful silver leaf necklace from Beau & Stella on Etsy, which my husband gifted me.

And why yes, I am reading Winona‘s new book Closet Confidential

Closet Confidential, originally uploaded by academichic.

No, Winona did not send it to me or pay me to say this, I actually hinted rather heavily to T. that I wanted her new book because I knew that if it was anything like her blog, I would absolutely love it. And Winona did not disappoint. I’ve already read about half of it and cannot get enough of her practical yet hilarious commentary on style.

The rest of my day (after I tore myself away from my new book) was spent sightseeing, meeting a few friends for beers at the Hofbräuhaus, and taking in the beginnings of the Christmas Markets here in Munich. I wore my flat boots, which are great for a day spent walking, and predictably enough, a shirt dress. The last time I wore this black dress, I paired it with gray for a monochromatic effect, but this time, I wanted to punch it up with an analogous pairing of a pink shirt and red belt. I think this color combo was definitely more festive and birthday appropriate. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some more birthday chocolate that needs polishing off while I read the last few pages of “Around the World in 80 Outfits”. S.

23 November 2009 , originally uploaded by academichic.

§ 23 Responses to 23 November 2009 – Birthday Fun"

1. I’m glad you had a wonderful birthday, S! Enjoy your hubby’s visit! I hated it when my fiance and I are apart for long stints doing research in foreign archives. The necklace is lovely and you look radiant. Btw, I love the German Christmas Markets and Gluehwein!

2. Sally says:

So glad you got to spend your birthday with your hubbo, S! And delighted to hear it was full of joys.

3. Trisha says:

Happy happy birthday! Christmas markets are the best; hope you enjoy your trip. Yesterday I channeled your style by layering dresses — was a big hit with the coworkers. :) Love the cowlneck under the dress in the first shot.

Happy birthday, S.! So glad it was such a lovely day.

5. Sara says:

“Happy birthday to you” is one of the few things I can say and sing in German. But I have no idea how to spell it, so English or German, Happy happy Birthday to you!!!

I LOVE that necklace. Goodness that’s gorgeous. Have a wonderful week with your husband!

6. No wonder you look so happy! Happy birthday to you! I hope this year is filled with dreams come true.

7. Luinae says:

Happy Birthday S.! I wish you a great year! And the necklace is beautiful.

8. Christina W. says:

Happy birthday! You look great and those look like some really fun gifts!

9. jentine says:

Yeah… husband’s in town… and best of all, he bought something off Etsy? I don’t think Matt even knows what it is…

10. Nadine says:

Happy birthday, gorgeous! Love the cowl neck, and your hair looks amazing over your shoulder in the last photo.

11. admin says:

Thanks, everyone!! :)

@Jentine – the only reason T. knows of Etsy is because I make sure to tell him about it A LOT to occasionally email him links to items I think would look great in my wardrobe/jewelry collection. *You* have to make these things happen, they don’t just happen on their own ;)

S.

12. Winona says:

Happiest of birthdays to you, one of my favorite bloggers in the whole wide world! And that adorable picture of you holding my book makes me feel like it’s MY birthday–so glad you’re liking it so far and thank you so much for the kind words, my dear! :)

13. Anne says:

I’m glad you had a great birthday. The necklace is indeed beautiful and the picture with you in front of the market makes me want to go back to Germany and a real Weihnachtsmarkt so badly…

14. Vanessa says:

Happy birthday! I also got hold of Winona’s book through a blog contest (ideal for a poor college kid like me), and I can’t wait to read it. Unfortunately, I have plenty of other stuff I have to finish reading first.

15. Birdette77 says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY S.,

You look great. I got so excited reading your latest entry and the interview you did with the other blogger was great. I’m flying with my husband to Munich tomorrow and after that we are heading to Salzburg and I’m so excited cause it’s my first time…I was worried it would be too cold in Munich but now I see you are beautifully dressed, love your jacket. Anyways, thanks for the amazing blog!

16. Lucy says:

Nachträglich alles Gute zum Geburtstag, S. It sounds like you had a wonderful day — may the celebration continue throughout the week.

17. Love your style and your blog! Thanks for sharing your great style & how-tos. Just found you today and am now a follower!

18. happy birthday, S.! i love the way you layer that cowl-neck top…every time, it’s so beautiful!

19. Erika says:

Best (though belated) wishes for your birthday, S.

20. Sharon says:

Happy belated birthday! I’m glad it was fun!

BTW, I think the cowl neck is a sweet stylish detail.

21. M.E.J says:

Happy Birthday, S.! I guess having T. over for your birthday really made your day! I know how hard long distance relationships can be, so I wish you both a wonderful time together.
    You look great, and your coat is really nice.
    Hope you let us see you with a European Nerp soon!