31 October 2009 – Happy Halloween!

October 31st, 2009 § 14 comments

Halloween Flashback!, originally uploaded by academichic.

Costumes are a mix of items from our own closets and things we found on ebay and amazom.com.

Happy Halloween!! I love Halloween, it’s one of my favorite holidays in America. And what’s not to love? Costumes, candy, costume parties, more candy… the perfect event. Since I came to Halloween late in life (when we moved to Canada from Europe), the magic of it still hasn’t worn off for me. So I am decidedly disappointed to miss out on the fun this year while here in Germany. Although Halloween has started infiltrating German culture as well, it’s not quite the same production one has in the States and I will not be dressing up tonight.

So I thought I’d instead relive my Halloween of last year by sharing with you one of my favorite costumes I’ve had in my years of Halloween mischievousness: T. and I were inspired by my grandfather who is a beekeeper and dressed up as a beekeeper and his swarm of bees. The night was abuzz with excitement and Indie beehaved herself excellently as a baby bee. (And yes, we are the kind of people who dress up their pets for Halloween).

How are you dressing up this year or what has been your favorite costume you’ve ever had? Do share so that I can indulge in Halloween dreamery from afar! And eat lots of candy tonight! S.

Halloween Flashback!, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , ,

§ 14 Responses to 31 October 2009 – Happy Halloween!"

1. MissWiniW says:

In Australia Halloween isn’t big at all – but some people still like to pretend! Tonight a friend had a Halloween themed party. I think my costume was best: I went as myself, but I made my princess-ness more obvious by adding a homemade crown. Best Halloween costume ever :)

That is an absolutely adorable costume idea! This year I’m going as Where’s Waldo (I just posted about it if you wanna see pics) – complete with the classiest of all costume accoutrements – duct tape.

3. HistorySpice says:

I am scrambling to put my look together for tonight because I turned out to be horribly allergic to part of my original costume. Now I’m planning on going as a dark fairy. My absolute favorite costume up to this point was last year’s. I went as Inigo Montoya from the Princess Bride and my fiance went as The Man in Black/Wesley.

4. Ashley says:

I’m dressing up as Yoda. I’m short, and I already had most of the costume in my closet – I just had to craft the head/ears from a couple of green fleece hats. It’s going to be so much fun!

5. Nadine says:

Halloween isn’t a big deal in New Zealand either, and it’s the wrong time of year here for an autumn festival, but I’m surprised it’s not very big in Europe. Isn’t that where it comes from?

6. M.E.J says:

Love the tights!

7. jentine says:

You guys are the cutest little honey production around…. you make a lovely bee!

8. Rebekah says:

I went as a gentleman— not unlike three of the seven previous commentors. Lots of gender-bending around here. =)

I felt handsome.

9. Tania says:

your bee costume is almost as cute as your puppy’s. my boyfriend and i dressed up as curious george and the man in the yellow hat.

whatwouldanerdwear@blogspot.com

10. Kelley says:

I went as Adam Ant and my boyfriend went as Prince. My favorite costume was years ago when my little sister decided to be a crossing guard. Yellow rain slicker with a STOP sign that she and our mom made. So cute!

11. angie*~ says:

aww that’s such a cute costume!! I was under the impression that all western countries celebrated halloween and since i’m fairly new in Australia I was expecting it to be a big thing here… but not a single kid rang my doorbell. I can only imagine how excited you must have been when you dressed up for your first halloween!

12. admin says:

What awesome costume ideas, I loved reading about them and thinking of what I might dress up as once I’m back in the States.

Angie – You can’t even imagine how cool Halloween seemed to me when I first learned about it in the 5th grade – I got to dress up as a witch and go all around the neighborhood collecting a pillowcase full of candy – I thought I’d died and went to heaven! S.

13. GeekGirl says:

Those are adorable costumes! Great idea to have bees and a beekeeper.