30 October 2009 – Slouchy

October 30th, 2009 § 22 comments

30 October 2009 – Slouchy, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Slouchy gray sweater – Ann Taylor, gift from mother-in-law
  • White nursing cami – Target
  • Black cropped skinnies – Old Navy
  • Gray suede wedges – Gap Outlet

I have a soft spot in my heart for Project Runway. Watching the show prompted me to dabble in sewing again and think more creatively about the potential of garments I buy off the rack. Plus, it’s hard to not love Tim Gunn. Let’s be honest.

Inspiration (Althea's look from Project Runway)

This season — more so than in the past — I’ve found myself looking to translate outfits from the show into my daily wardrobe. When this look by designer Althea walked down the runway last night I thought, “I can do that!”

So I did.

My always-fabulous mother-in-law had recently gifted me this gray cardigan from Ann Taylor Loft. I have to admit, when I first put it on, tied with the accompanying grosgrain ribbon, I wasn’t sure how I felt about the dolman sleeves and the garments apparent inability to remain closed. But after seeing that Project Runway look, I decided to embrace the volume.

A key change — and this is perhaps more circumstantial rather than purposeful — is where the sweater’s volume hits on the body. In Althea’s look, the wide sleeves swing at the model’s hips, giving an almost diamond shaped silhouette. To me, a more flattering location for luxurious slouch would be higher up on my frame. And since the dolman sleeves on my cardigan already have their fullness under the arms, I just pushed the sleeves up. The result is that my cardigan appears to have a lot more volume than it actually does, and voila: a pared down version of a Project Runway winner.

30 October 2009 – Slouchy, originally uploaded by academichic.

30 October 2009 – Slouchy, originally uploaded by academichic.

§ 22 Responses to 30 October 2009 – Slouchy"

1. AJ says:

Luv it!! The cardigan looks great and you styled it nicely!!

2. Madeline says:

That’s awesome! I really want to wear cropped pants with heels, but it is snowing here… Perhaps I’ll wait for spring.

3. Chelsea says:

I absolutely love this look you’ve created! Way to take something from the runway and “make it work” in real life. I love this look on you… so flattering and CHIC!

4. mamichan says:

the inspiration translated so well! i really liked that outfit last night too.

5. Alisha says:

I love the cropped pants with the wedges. It looks so good!

What a great shrug! It looks so gorgeous and sleek with those black cropped pants and wedges. Lovely.

7. jentine says:

Wow! Those pants look hot!!! And I love the PR knock-off look. V. nice.

8. Sara says:

Love this outfit. I just watched this episode and before I even read your post I knew your inspiration!

9. Genevieve says:

Maybe because I just watched the show this afternoon, but that’s EXACTLY what I thought of when I saw your outfit. I like it better on you, I think. Your pants plus wedges are great. Also, sorry to be so snippy, but does it strike anyone else that the model’s outfit would have benefited from her wearing a bra?

10. Christina W. says:

I really like how you took a runway look and made it work for your own style and lifestyle! You look chic and comfortable.

11. meghan says:

on one hand, you look adorable. on the other hand, you totally spoiled this episode for me before I got a chance to watch it today. have mercy on the poor student with no cable (and thus inevitable 24 hour delays) and maybe put spoiler tags on something like this?

That said, both sweaters (Althea’s and yours) are great. There’s something charming about something so cuddly but still chic.

12. Nadine says:

Very clever! (Love all your fallen leaves.)

13. I wanted a sweater just like that from Ann Taylor Loft! My friend convinced me not to buy it because it was $50, I’m still thinking about it =/ lol

14. MusingAround says:

I, too, have been loving the oversized cardigan/sweaters on Project Runway! I’ve seen a couple of people wear them belted at the waist. It can shift the silhouette into something more flattering.

15. Joseph White says:

i love Fashion and i love Project Runway.“.

16. Project Runway is great and we always watch it at home, hope they employ more interesting and talented contestants.*.-

17. Tilly Holmes says:

my sister always watch project runway because she likes fashion too much,.-

18. the contestants of project runway are also very beautiful and potential beauty pageant finalists”;

19. the host of Project Runway is also very good in presenting this show, the contestants have lots of potential too and are pretty:.;

20. Hand Winch says:

when it comes to tv fashion shows, i really love Project Runway because it shows some new talents in the fashion industry “.

21. [...] Especially if that reality television happens to be Project Runway. E. can’t help herself! She recreated one of Althea’s simple looks… [...]