29 October 2009

October 30th, 2009 § 15 comments

29 October 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.
  • Olive Sweater – H & M
  • Brown Cord Skirt – Old Navy
  • Scarf – Birthday gift from S.
  • Belt – New York & Co
  • Tights – Gap
  • Shoes – Kenneth Cole Reaction, via DSW

First of all, thank you for all of your jean support!  I will give jean shopping another go and report back soon.

S. sent me this beautiful scarf from Germany for my birthday and I am in love.  It’s my colors and my pattern!  As soon as I pulled it out, I started planning outfits around it.  I have been wanting to try the belted scarf look again and thought that might be a good way to really showcase this new addition.  The scarf is the perfect length and thickness for this look (that is, not too long and not too thick).  Because the colors of the rest of my outfit were pretty simple, almost monochromatic, I decided I could play with pattern and texture.  I chose this wide, tweed belt to hold the scarf in place and my tweed-esque tights.

belted scarf, originally uploaded by academichic.

Yesterday was another long rainy day here, but as much as I love my boots, I wanted to wear other shoes for once this week!   Peep-toes were probably not the best choice, but my feet did manage to stay dry all day.  I was slow to come around to the peep-toe, but have learned to love them.  And then, I was hesitant about the peep-toe with tights – not any more!  If it means I can keep wearing my favorite shoes, I’m in!

What about you?  Will you try the belted scarf or the peep-toes and tights?

A.

peep toes and tights, originally uploaded by academichic.
peep toes and tights, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

§ 15 Responses to 29 October 2009"

1. Kasmira says:

I’ve had a pics with a belted scarf in my inspiration book for weeks….just haven’t had the chance to try it out. I definitely will in the next week or two.

I’m a huge fan of tights and peeptoes. :)

2. Sally says:

The belted scarf is an interesting look, but I’m not sure it’d work for my figure. Peeptoes and tights, though, I’m all over.

Hey, lady, do drop me a note about visiting, will ya? ;)

3. Little Red says:

Love this look! The scarf adds a nice bit of color to the rest of the outfit.

I’m not sure I could pull off the belted scarf look. But I think it looks fantastic on you! I would definitely wear tights with peep-toes though. Good way to continue wearing the peep-toes through fall and winter.

4. Monica says:

I finally tried the peeptoe and tights combo over the weekend and was pretty happy with it. I think I want thicker tights with the look though. So I love your look with the tweed-y tights and I’m going to have to find some of my own [because I'm starting to get a little bit bored with boots every day]!

5. Maureen says:

Wow – such a great combo of neutrals + pop of color. You look fantastic.

6. Chelsea says:

I just love this blog more and more. You ladies fill me with so many ideas and inspiration!

I will definitely try the belted scarf look – you’ve done it so well here! As for tights and peep toes… I’m not sure I have the right shoes/tights to make the combo work, but I’m open to it!

That scarf is gorgeous and totally makes the outfit pop. Just lovely!

8. laniza says:

What a beautiful outfit! I just may try the belted scarf combination too :).

9. Nadine says:

I love the way your belt matches your skirt. I love the belted scarf look, but I’m not a belter, so I don’t have any belts. And I love the peep-toes with tights, but I don’t have any peep-toes!

10. gina says:

I love the colors of your outfit, and the belted scarf.

11. GeekGirl says:

I’m digging the peep-toes with the tights. It’s pretty good looking. The belted scarf look is interesting… I may have to try it. I like the browns with the blue too, a great combination!

12. Smart Style says:

i love the teal in the scarf with the browns–it’s so pretty!

13. [...] (except my ridiculous collection of argyle socks).  The argyle print was one of the many reasons the birthday gift scarf from S. was so perfectly me!  The lovely turquoise and olive diamond pattern reminded me of this old J [...]

14. [...] I love stalking others’ styles there—and the rest luckily fell into place. I’ve seen A. over at academichic belt scarves, but had never thought to try it before. It seemed as good a [...]

15. Hello!! I just wanted you to know that you are all a great inspiration for me and many others. Your belted scarf idea actually inspired me to make a similar look yesterday. I posted you as my inspiration on my blog if you would like to take a look. Thanks for sharing!