29 October 2009 – Asymmetrical

October 30th, 2009 § 10 comments

29 October 2009 – Asymmetrical , originally uploaded by academichic.

All remixed (except tights purchased at the grocery store):

• Black asymmetrical cardi – Banana Republic
  • Teal tank – BR Outlet
  • Jean skirt – Urban Outfitters
  • Tights – Edeka
  • Black boots – Banana Republic
  • Necklace – thrifted
  • Onyx earrings – TJMaxx

I’ve mentioned my love for asymmetrically cut garments before and today I’ll say it again: there is just something about an uneven hemline that gets me all excited. I think I like that it looks a bit spunky and unexpected, as if saying, look at me, I’m not quite the stuffy academic you thought I was, I’m wearing an uneven cut cardigan! How’s that for risqué?

Ok, so maybe’s it’s not that riqué, but it is somewhat unconventional. And it usually allows for the garment to be styled in a plethora of ways. Just check out the Moth Possibilities Sweater and all the ways we three Chics have worn it, the Wonder Wrap, and today’s example. I have worn it simple and belted or with the longer ends tied together. Yesterday, I tied the shorter ends together while letting the longer uneven ones hang down.

Cardi detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

What do you think of asymmetrical cuts? Do you share my passion for their unconventionality or are you rather weary of all that ambiguous fabric and questionable design plan? S.

29 October 2009 – Asymmetrical , originally uploaded by academichic.
Earrings, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged ,

§ 10 Responses to 29 October 2009 – Asymmetrical"

1. Franca says:

I really like this cardie! I do like asymmetrical things, although thinking about it I don’t actually own any!

2. madddy says:

Love it! You look comfortable and chic.

3. Sally says:

I’m a huge fan, too. There’s something so arty about asymmetry in a garment.

4. A-C says:

I really like the look of the asymmetrical hem on the cardigan and the different ways you are able to wear it.

I absolutely adore asymmetrical anything, so I totally dig this look.

6. Luinae says:

I think you pull of this look really nicely! It’s one of my favoruites you’ve been in.

7. jentine says:

OK, so I sometimes hate asymmetrical (like those polyester skirts that have wired, unflattering hems and chciks wear them and think they look awesome but they don’t really… yeah those…) but I can appreciate this top. You and Sal rock the asymmetry.

8. Nadine says:

Asymmetrical looks very cool here! (Although sometimes it really doesn’t . . )

9. GeekGirl says:

This is a cool outfit, and I especially love that turquoise color that pops too! I think personally I’m more of a symmetrical person myself, but the asymmetrical stuff looks great on your outfit.

10. Sara says:

I have this same cardi from BR! I like to wear it belted too. I generally hold the shorter ends together and pull them straight out and away from my body. Then I belt around the middle and allow the shorter ends to hang over the belt, while the longer ends hang out below the belt. Gives a nice voluminous look over a ruffly shirt!